Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

IGP passthrough on ESXi6.5

JD16
Beginner

Platform: H370+ i7-8700, I was able to passthrough intel HD630, well, if VM is CentOS, monitor can be detected via HDMI and everything works fine, but if VM is win10, HDMI can't detect the monitor thus there is no output. So I think there might be some issue with intel driver for win10? Does it need additional information to identify the HDMI interface (connected monitor ) under windoes?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
JD16, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In reference to your question, no there is additional information needed to identify the HDMI interface. We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. We can try to do a clean installation of the graphics driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html Since the Intel® Core™ i7-8700 works with Intel® HD Graphics 630, we can always try to install graphics driver version DCH 25.20.100.6519: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28515/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909 What is the complete model of the motherboard? Are you using adapters or converters to connect the monitor? Do you have the option to test it with a different HDMI cable? What is the model of the monitor? Do you have the option to use another HDMI monitor/TV? Is this a new PC? Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? Was it working fine before? When did the issue start? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JD16
Beginner

Hi, Alberto:

The MB is Asrock H370, it provides 2 HDMI and 1 DP interface, all three works perfectly under Win10 installed directly on harddrive, but none of them can detect the monitor if Win10 is under ESXi6.5u2.

Well, I originally only tested the 2 HDMI interfaces, when there was no output, I purchased one DP-HDMI active connector, which didn't help. I got video output from physical ESXi, Physical Win10 installation, CentOS VM, but still no output from Win10 VM.

The monitor is VA2759, which has HDMI interface, it works fine if I connect other PCs to it, etc, my desktop

The real issue is: I had a freshly installed Win10 64bits VM inside ESXi6.5u2, with HD630 passthrough from host to VM, I am able to install the most recent Intel graphic driver(25.20.100.6519), the driver works ok because if I using rdp, I can do video decoding with HD630. The only problem is: with this driver, the IGP can't detect any monitors connected to HDMI.

Originally I thought that it's ESXi passthrough issue, I then tried to install CentOS7.4 with exact same env(ESXi6.5u2, intel IGP passthrough to VM), well, this time CentOS output has no issue, it correctly recognize the monitot and I am able to see output from CentOS VM on my VA2759.

So I guess that there is difference between the intel IGP drivers for Linux and Win10?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi JD16, Thank you very much for providing those details. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
JD16, I just received and update on this matter and just to let you know, for this graphics controller our Graphics drivers are only supported under Windows* 10. For Linux based OS drivers, support is provided by the community itself: https://01.org/linuxgraphics Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos