Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

INTEL HD 3000 Dedicated memory 0MB

TJaya4
Novice

I'm having a HP pavilion g6, Core i3, 6GB RAM with Windows 10 pro 64bit..

it has a Intel HD 3000 graphics card which gives a dedicated memory of 0MB.. is there any way i can increase this or will it get corrected if I downgrade my OS to Windows 8..

Please help me with this??

Thankyou..

111.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Well, Bro,

if you go down to W8.1, you will need to be 32-bit instead of 64-bit.

To continue to be 64-bit, you need to go to W8, not W8.1.

If you want to be W8.1 64-bit, you have the same problem you have now.

If you are a desktop, you can try adding a compatible graphics card.

Or, face the reality of old hardware, and get yourself a new system that is supported on W10.

Doc

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

HD3000 graphics are not supported on W10. You are using the Microsoft generic driver, which is limited in performance and features.

Do not worry about this. There is no driver for HD3000 for Windows 10.

Doc

TJaya4
Novice

Thanks bro,, What if I downgrade my OS??

AlHill
Super User

Well, Bro,

if you go down to W8.1, you will need to be 32-bit instead of 64-bit.

To continue to be 64-bit, you need to go to W8, not W8.1.

If you want to be W8.1 64-bit, you have the same problem you have now.

If you are a desktop, you can try adding a compatible graphics card.

Or, face the reality of old hardware, and get yourself a new system that is supported on W10.

Doc

TJaya4
Novice

its a laptop bro... Thanks for the explanation,,

even I go down to W8 64bit the dedicated memory will still be 0MB ryt??? so no point...isnt it

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Beats me. Dedicated video memory is controlled by the bios on your motherboard. If HP did their job, and the Intel driver works, you should see some value there, like 64 or 128MB.

Again, the real solution is NEW hardware, as your problem is not going away. It will only get worse. The best you will ever do is OpenGL 3.1, and no OpenCL. If you are looking to improve your game performance, you will get nothing from 32, or 64, of 128MB.

Again, who really wants to be on W8x?

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, I do not recommend downgrading. Who in the world really wants to be on W8.x? If you told me Windows 7, at least we could discuss it!<G>

Doc

0 Kudos
TJaya4
Novice

haha,, yeah im good with windows 7.. will it do any good for my case???

AlHill
Super User

Windows 7 is DEAD. Although W7 was great, and certainly better than W8x, it is dead. No support, and some 3rd party apps are abandoning support (as they should).

I am going to try one more time - get new(er) hardware.

Doc

TJaya4
Novice

Thanks bro... I think I got the solution,, New laptop it is.. im using this shit for 10 years now... Thanks again...

0 Kudos
Wertia
Novice

HD 3000 Graphics can easily be fixed by Microsoft for Windows 10 in a manner of 2-4 hours, which an hour of that time is spent doing nothing to be generous. All Microsoft needs to do, as we seen what other mods post here for fixes for ubuntu, is to change the directory as the security updates and packages change by simply scanning for common occurrences for software that mess up the directory for whatever reason although I can easily see how that would quickly become time-consuming but at the bare minimum at least make it work right out of the box with the first few updates. I think there's a software contract that you sign though when you get windows 10 that you specifically cannot modify the software or reverse engineer it and there is some type of bystander effect where people assume someone else or microsoft might fix it. It has been fixed in the ubuntu 

https://github.com/intel/llvm/tree/sycl/bolt/utils

There is probably a fix for windows 10 but I doubt you'll find it from the official developers at Intel and Microsoft on their main website. There are fixes and alternatives that trick OpenGL 3.1 into acting like opencl, or flat out changing the code in the software you are trying to use and change the pointers to work with the documentation provided by Intel for OpenGl versions in C++ . I have personally read the Intel 3000 Graphics manual and it's over 5,000 pages with lots of pointers, I haven't even LOOKED at the documentation for opencl , I barely even knew that existed til the last 5 minutes. what software are you trying to use. There are other altneratives other than opengl and opencl that doesn't violate any real intellectual property of intel that have been around since the 1970s.

0 Kudos