Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

INTEL HD GRAPHICS (INTEGRATED) NOT DEFAULTING TO DISPLAY PORTS

JITU
Beginner

I have tried multiple times for the Windows 10 Pro DELL OPTIPLEX 7010 SFF desktop PC to default to one of the two DISPLAY PORTS but after boot up, the output only works via VGA (Analogue). I am using DP (Digital) to DVI-D (Digital) adapter and DVD-D to DVI-D cable into the Samsung Monitor. There does not appear to be anyway of changing the default or priorities from VGA to DP. I am not planning to use multiple monitors. I just want to be able to use DP/DVI-D instead of VGA. There must be a reliable solution for this issue but I can't see it. I have also looked at the BASE VIDEO setting within MSCONFIG and that was not ticked. I tried turning it on but that did not solve the issue either. I do not want to add any more graphics card or adapters.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Try updating your dell bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
JITU
Beginner

The PC is 100% up-to-date with WIN 10 PRO, BIOS, CHIPSET, DRIVERS ETC.

Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have seen many (many!) DP-to-DVI adapters that are complete trash (aside: if it was a freebee that came with the monitor, it is trash by definition). Has the adaptor that you are attempting to use ever worked? Have you, for example, verified that it works on another PC? What is the part number of the Samsung monitor that you are attempting to use? What are the details for the adapter?

...S

0 Kudos
JITU
Beginner

CURRENT PC IS DELL OPTIPLEX 7010 SFF with INTEL i3-3270 cpu.

Monitor is a SAMSUNG XL2370HD (with DVI-D, HDMI but no Display Port)

PNY branded (bought recently - I have tried two individually)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144534772884

I have also tried one branded LENOVO adapter which

I bought and tested about three months ago on a DELL OPTIPLEX 960 MT

(I don't have access to that one right now)

I have also tried two of the DVI-D to DVI-D cables - individually.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194615695479

I have just tried both the PNY and LENOVO adapters on my DELL XPS 1640 laptop

(which I sometimes use to connect to the TV but via HDMI port).  The laptop does

not detect the external monitor.

Now back on the DELL 7010 PC :  On power up, the monitor initially connected via

the DVI signal but then defaulted back to the VGA ( I checked that on the monitor's

display options). So I think the adapters and cables are OK but it is the Windows

or Intel HD driver which is switching back to VGA,

Most of the time the monitor only connects via the VGA port at boot up.

There is no display if I have the VGA cable disconnected or I have the 

settings on the external monitor as DVI.

I therefore now have both the VGA and the DVI cables connected always.

Unfortunately, I can not find a way of forcing the output from the PC to DISPLAY PORT.

Unable to prioritise DP over VGA and unable to disable VGA.

I think it  is the INTEL HD GRAPHICS driver which is defaulting back to VGA

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@JITU Two problems:

1.  Your processor is not supported on Windows 10.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-21h2-supported-intel-processors

2. You are using the Microsoft generic video driver, wwhich lacks performance and features.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos