Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Ice Lake Iris Plus Graphics: Any driver version above 25.20.100.7007 will absolutely and totally break multi-monitor-setup via TB3

AFago
Beginner

I am in serious trouble with my one month old Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T with Intel Core i7-1065G7 and Iris Plus Graphics. The old driver version that came preinstalled (25.20.100.7007) has a bunch of very annoying problems but it does work with my Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 and attached LG Ultrawide-Monitor (DP) plus Marantz AVR for HDMI-Audio and JVC beamer (turned off).

Any driver beyond this, even just the extension that gets automatically downloaded via WU, will break that setup causing funny little shows like this: https://youtu.be/6leCUI7Osns or this https://youtu.be/7XQL_wRqE-M eventually crashing the system completely. No matter if I boot with the cable attached or later connect, neither the primary display nor the secondary will be usable so any driver up to the latest on the Intel site (Acer does not offer any newer one) will break any multimonitor setup via TB3.

Now I tried many things like completely reinstalling the whole system from scratch (2x, once with only the Acer supplied drivers plus the drivers from WU, once with only the drivers from WU and the Intel Driver and Support assistant). I also changed the TB3 cable, updated the TB dock firmware, but if it works fine with 25.20.100.7007, breaks with later versions and then is fine again once I rollback to 25.20.100.7007, I guess we know whats responsible.

Please fix this ASAP. I am having enough troubles with this damn Ice Lake notebook (other, unrelated sleep/reboot/bluescreen-issues) that at least do not keep me from working but this multi-monitor issue is the most annoying thing ever since the driver 25.20.100.7007 has enough problems of its own (like these funny graphics bugs for instance among many many others: https://youtu.be/5M_mOMiJkoA)

Seriously guys - whats up with this s**t ??

Please find attached the required dxdiag, ssu and bug report files.

PS: I have used this dock successfully with previous laptops like LG Gram 15 from end of 2018 so those troubles are definitely new to the Ice Lake generation.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AFago,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

Based on the description of the issue, if installing a generic driver causes flickering, black screens (etc.) when having a multi-monitor setup via Thunderbolt* 3, it seems that your computer is losing your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) customizations (e.g. Power Management) when installing generic drivers. These customizations are performed by OEMs, and they are important to improve the functionality of the devices connected to the computer and the computer itself.

It is worth mentioning that your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.

To ensure hardware works as well as possible, it would be best to go back to your system manufacturer and report this behavior. In this scenario, the system manufacturer is the best source of support since they can replicate the problem you are experiencing in order to customize generic drivers.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AFago
Beginner

Hi Wanner G,

thanks for taking the time to answer. However, I doubt, any modification by Acer is the problem because, like I said - the problem already appears if only the Acer-supplied driver is installed but later, Windows Update adds the "Intel driver extension". So the modified driver is not replaced completely. Anyway - I will contact Acer about this if you say so, even though I personally doubt, thats the problem. But hey - youre the boss 😉

0 Kudos