Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Instructions on how to diagnose failing drive

idata
Employee

Various applications (SQL Server, Windows' ESENT database engine, backup software) are giving me error messages, so I suspect one or both of my drives which are in a RAID1 configuration.

Could someone point me toward some instructions on how to diagnose which drive is failing, how to replace the drive (wrt Intel Matrix configuration), etc.?

For example, should I go in the BIOS and break the mirror so that I can run Seagate diagnostics, etc. Or should I just go in the BIOS and switch from RAID mode to non-RAID mode, then run Seagate diagnostics? Or maybe some other sequence of steps? Then once I figure out which drive is going bad, how do I get the system to recognize a new drive as the mirror, etc.

My system uses: Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi there,

These are the instructions that i followed using an Intel Desktop Motherboards which has the Intel Matrix Onboard Raid Controller.

Advantage of RAID1:

100% redundancy of data. One disk may fail, but data will continue to be accessible. A rebuild to a new disk is recommended to maintain data redundancy.

So even if you remove one drive, the system should work fine, but the raid will be degraded (yellow character in the Ctrl+I Raid Bios)

Adding a new non-raid drive to the system does not start auto-rebuild sometimes. You will need to go into the Windows. Then using the Intel Storage Matrix Manager (latest version), from there, you will see the drive. If not go to Disk Management and format it.

Then once it shows up, using the Intel Storage Manager, right click on the Non-Raid drive, you will get an option to rebuild the RAID1.

Alternatively, add the new drive to the system and using the Intel Storage Matrix Manager, right click on the non-raid drive, mark it as Hotspare. Remove one of the two old drives, the automatic rebuild will be launched.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now regarding Tools to find problems on the failing drives:

The best tool will be the manufacturer tool itself. Try to check from the Manufacturer Website if there is any updated tool.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

0 Kudos