Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Integrated Intel UHD 620 with LG Ultra Wide Monitors

caraballo70
Beginner

Hello - I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 with an Integrated Intel UHD 620 (4GB). Laptop is currently pushing the LG Ultra Wide 34 (34WK500) 2560x1080 just perfect via HDMI Cable but I wanted to get another LG Monitor with higher resolution and was wondering if the UHD 620 would push the following LG Ultra Wide Monitors.

These Monitors are expensive and I wanted to make sure my Lenovo ThinkPad T480 with an Integrated Intel UHD 620 would work:

LG 49BL95C 49" 5120 x 1440 dual QHD screen, which is essentially two 27" 1440p monitors placed side-to-side OR the LG 38WN75C 3840 x 1600 resolution with 21:9 aspect ratio. 

Thank you very much for your time - John 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In theory, there should be no issues supporting these monitors (certainly not from a bandwidth standpoint anyway), but I have to say that I have seen reports of people having issues with QHD monitors and I am unsure that all of these issues have been resolved. 

Since your processor only supports HDMI 1.4, it does not have the bandwidth to handle 4K-class monitors at anything above 30Hz. Consequently, you want to use a DisplayPort 1.2 signal that can get you to 4K at a more-reasonable 60Hz.

If your laptop only has a HDMI connector, you want to make sure that this signal is generated by a LSPcon IC that is converting from a DisplayPort 1.2 signal to a HDMI 2.0 signal. If this is NOT the case, there is no chance of it supporting either of these monitors.

If your laptop has a USB-C connector and this connector is supporting DisplayPort Alternate Mode or Thunderbolt 3, then you can either use a DisplayPort monitor (via a USB-C-to-DP adapter or cable) or use a HDMI monitor (via an USB-C-to-HDMI adaptor or cable). Note that, in the latter case, you have to be careful what you purchase. There are lots of cheap adapters and cables out there that will only get you 4K@30Hz. You need to look carefully for an adapter that specifically says it will support 4K@60Hz. Then, you need to check the fine print; some adapters will claim 4K@60Hz,  but only if you have a DisplayPort 1.4 signal (which you do not!); you need an adapter that says that it will do 4K@60Hz based upon a DisplayPort 1.2 signal.

I believe that you should never make a sight-unseen purchase like this. Find yourself a storefront that has the monitors and will let you connect your laptop to it and test it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos