Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel 530 graphic card flickering

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have Dell XPS 15 9550, I recently updated to latest driver and display keeps flickering momentarily. It doesn't go black or anything but looks as if brightness goes up and down instantaneously. Happens intermediately with the latest updates. I never noticed this issue with 20.19.15.4331, anything above I noticed this problem.

I have tried installing the Beta version as well and they all cause this flickering issue for me.

Intel Driver:

Beta 15.40.26.4474 - Flickering Issue

15.40.25.4463 - Flickering Issue

15.40.14.4452 - Flickering Issue

Dell's Driver:

20.19.15.4454 - Gamma Level Issue + Flickering Issue

20.19.15.4390 - Gamma Level Issue + Flickering Issue

20.19.15.4331 - No Issue

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Display flickers in normal usage

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS 15 9550

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-width: 0px 1pt 1pt 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; border-bottom-color: windowtext; font-style: in...
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Zen0s,

Could you please fill out the information asked on this site, in order to collect to collect more information about the issue you are getting?

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Zen0s,

It is important to mention that we sell our Intel chipsets and processors to third party manufacturers and they design their own computers with their own features, settings, and capabilities. For that reason they design their own drivers, to meet the exact specifications on their computers.

Your computer is having problems with our generic Intel graphics drivers; the best you can do is installing the customized driver released by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

From this point I recommend you to contact Dell* and report to them that you are getting Graphics issues with latest graphics drivers, please mention to them, this is the graphics version that is working as it should on your computer. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=PFWXP&fileId=3549728728&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-15-9550-laptop&categoryId=VI 20.19.15.4331,A04 21 Dec 20156:35:40 AM

Dell* Product Support

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers/advanced http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers/advanced

If this Graphics version works fine on your system I would suggest you to keep using that one.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Generic Intel Graphic Driver and customized Dell driver both show same symptoms

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Zen0s,

Please let me investigate about this, I'll let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Zen0s

Please contact Dell and verify if a BIOS update is required.

According to Dell* Driver Details, BIOS update 01.02.10 fixes LCD flickering when in lowest brightness:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=96T2K http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=96T2K

If the issue persists even after updating the BIOS, I recommend you to report this to Dell for further replication from their side.

Please let me know the outcome.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I want to confirm this bug report. Similarly, I noticed that uninstalling the drivers altogether prevents the slight flicker in brightness which happens regularly (+-2 times a minute if I have to guess). Based on this bug report I installed the "20.19.15.4331" drivers which indeed do not have this problem. Dell has released later drivers since, which just like the latest generic drivers (including Beta) cause this issue.

However, now I notice when maximizing windows in Windows 10 the animation is not smooth and stutters. Would have to verify whether the same occurs in the (flickering) latest drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In regards to: "However, now I notice when maximizing windows in Windows 10 the animation is not smooth and stutters. Would have to verify whether the same occurs in the (flickering) latest drivers."

This occurs also with the latest drivers and seems to be an issue with the graphics card merely not being capable of handling application windows which near the size of 4k. I reported this on Microsoft Community (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/maximizing-window-animation-of-4k-windows-has-a/239553c7-94d3-4556-904f-19238488b28c?tm=1470064729595 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/maximizing-window-animation-of-4k-windows-has-a/… ) but will also report this as an issue here to verify whether this is a problem on all 4k laptops using the Intel HD 530.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thanks Whathecode for this information, please let me know any update you get on this matter.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This issue just became a bit more complex on my end. I contacted Dell support since a new issue arose (after I reported on this one): my battery does not seem to be detected properly (although charging and using laptop works). The battery does seem to work fine, but the status indicator is totally broken: Windows currently says 'No battery detected', but likewise at one point I had '400 days of battery left'.

While reporting on the battery issue I also reported on the flickering issue, and they asked me whether the flickering also occurs within the BIOS to identify whether this is a hardware issue or not. I did not expect it to occur, but to my surprise it does!

To double check whether I am not just imagining things in regards to the flickering occurring more with the latest drivers, I reinstalled the latest Dell Intel HD graphics drivers (20.19.15.4454) and instantly within 30s or so I could easily notice it. Likewise, while writing this post I have noticed it over 20 times or so. Thus, it is not solely hardware, and the latest drivers definitely worsen the issue. Earlier today, however, I did also notice the flickering with the older drivers. They thus do not completely eliminate the issue.

Now I am starting to think the two issues might be related, given that there are different levels of brightness associated to being on AC or battery. In the BIOS, however, I set both AC and battery brightness to the same level, and I could still notice occasional flickering. Regardless, I will revisit this flickering issue once my battery problem has been resolved to see whether this could be part of the underlying cause.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I downgraded my BIOS of my XPS 15 9550, and have thus far experienced no more flickering issues, even with the latest drivers. This seems to be a known issue for the XPS 15 9550, as it was tech support which advised me to downgrade. This is also reported on the Dell forum:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987459/ BIOS UPDATE A10 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

The main reason for the brightness flickering might thus not necessarily lie on Intel's end, although it remains interesting to see how both BIOS and graphics driver for Windows seem to affect this issue.

The overall poor 4k Windows 10 performance, however, seems to persist regardless, but I presume is unrelated:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Whathecode,

Thanks for sharing your experience, please let me know if there is something else I could do for you.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
sdekl
Beginner

I'm on an asus mainboard with 530 chipset, a 4k monitor which I run at 60 hz via displayport and I experience the same thing, it flickers like maybe a few times per minute

idata
Employee

sjefdeklerk,

Thank you for joining the thread.

Please try the troubleshooting steps provided in the thread, but if the problem persists the best thing to do is to create new thread. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, you can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos