Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel 630 graphics driver 6 bit color depth on dell G7

Damsara
Beginner

Hi. I have a Dell G7 and I recently had the motherboard replaced on it. After the replacement, I noticed that the screen was a bit darker than usual and after checking the display settings I noticed that my laptop is running on a 6-bit color depth instead of 8. I tried updating the graphics driver and also tried getting an early version but it didn't seem to fix the issue. 

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and if so could you provide me with the solution. 

Thanks a lot in advance 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Damsara, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To have a better understanding of the issue, please provide the following information: 

1- What is the model of the processor?

2- Do you get the same problem with an external monitor?

3- Which drivers did you test? Please list the versions.

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile requesting some reports that may contain sensitive information.

Regards, 

David G.

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Damsara

Thank you for the reports provided via email.

We noticed you're not using the latest customized graphics driver currently. The drivers provided by the manufacturer (OEM) they're handpicked, and they include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. The generic Intel drivers include the latest feature enhancements and bug fixes that OEMs may not have customized yet to address platform-specific needs. Please check with the manufacturer to do a clean installation of the latest drivers they offer. Don't forget to share with us the version of the drivers you tried previously.

Finally, I recommend that you check with the OEM for diagnostics tests. That will help you confirm if there is a hardware problem with the built-in display. 

Regards, 

David G.

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Damsara

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

David G.   

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Damsara
Beginner

Yes, I checked and performed a clean OEM installation of the drivers they offer but had no luck unfortunately in fixing the issue. I also ran diagnostic tests and found no issues in the in-built display. Not sure what I can do at this point. The versions I've used so far are 26.20.100.8141 and 27.20.100.9168. 

It would be great if a solution could be provided

0 Kudos
Damsara
Beginner

Also, when i disable the intel driver. The screen goes back into an 8-bit screen. I've attached an image below

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Damsara

We received the information and we're investigating this request. I'll keep you updated.

Regards, 

David G 

David_G_Intel

Hello Damsara

We didn't find any issues with the drivers tested, and the information provided could indicate a problem with the hybrid graphics on your system. Please post the Intel® Graphics Command Center (IGCC) report on this thread:

• Open the IGCC
  • Click on "Support"
  • "System Diagnostic"
  • "Generate Report"

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Damsara

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

David G.   

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Damsara

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos