Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel Driver Support Assistant Keeps Prompting for Same Update

DoubleZ
Novice

For months I keep getting prompted by the Intel Driver Support Assistant Windows program that I have a new update available for my Intel UHD Graphics 630 card to driver version 27.20.100.9664 when it redirects me to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html, but checking in Device Manager I already have the driver, published by Intel.

It also prompts me that if I have an OEM driver installed (like from Dell), then to use that instead; if that is the case, do I need the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed at all? Dell and Windows Update report no new drivers/updates available. The Intel DSA is the latest version.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Intel Driver Site Advising to Use Dell OEM Driver.jpg

Intel Driver Site Prompting Update Available.jpg

Intel Driver Version Showing Already Installed.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

gregbrikitis, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, you mentioned "It also prompts me that if I have an OEM driver installed (like from Dell), then to use that instead", that is correct, we always recommend to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform, that should be the proper driver for your system. The Intel® drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific platform.

"do I need the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed at all?" That is actually up to you, many customers prefer to update the drivers manually others prefer to use the tool, but as long as you keep checking the website from the OEM for updates on drivers that are done normally every few months you can always uninstall the Intel® Driver Support Assistant and keep updating the drivers manually.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

gregbrikitis, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, you mentioned "It also prompts me that if I have an OEM driver installed (like from Dell), then to use that instead", that is correct, we always recommend to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform, that should be the proper driver for your system. The Intel® drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific platform.

"do I need the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed at all?" That is actually up to you, many customers prefer to update the drivers manually others prefer to use the tool, but as long as you keep checking the website from the OEM for updates on drivers that are done normally every few months you can always uninstall the Intel® Driver Support Assistant and keep updating the drivers manually.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

forwood
Beginner

Hi gregbrikitis

You didn't answer the initial problem, which is the repeated request to instal a driver which is already installed. 

I am currently on the 3rd request to instal Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.4091 for Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics and Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics, having already successfully installed this driver twice before:

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - WHQL - Windows*

Installation successful

2/24/2023 04:55 PM
Description:
This download installs Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.4091 for Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics and Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics.
Version:
Release date:
February 1, 2023
Size:
1175.03 MB

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - WHQL - Windows*

Installation successful

2/22/2023 05:03 PM
Description:
This download installs Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.4091 for Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics and Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics.
Version:
Release date:
February 1, 2023
Size:
1175.03 MB

The previous driver Version: 31.0.101.4032 successfuly installed itself 3 times! 

IDSA Is there a solution to this inability of the app to determine that the correct driver is already installed?

All the best, forwood
0 Kudos
DoubleZ
Novice

Albert,

Thank you for the reply and information. I check regularly with Dell Update, or it will prompt me. I will uninstall the Intel DSA.

Thank You,

Greg

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

gregbrikitis, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

"I will uninstall the Intel DSA", perfect, excellent, we completely understand your decision and respect it as well. As long as you keep checking the manufacturer's website for updates there will be no problems at all with your machine in regards to drivers.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Fred5
Beginner

i have a question

when you said oem update

you mean to the device manager and update the graphics???

because i recently uninstall the intel dsa but how i can update the drivers with the oem?

0 Kudos
DoubleZ
Novice

"you mean to the device manager and update the graphics???"

No, I just check Device Manager to see what driver version is currently installed.

"because i recently uninstall the intel dsa but how i can update the drivers with the oem?"

As Alberto & Scott advised, if you have a PC from a 'PC (I'll go with that) OEM' (Original Equipment Manufacturer), like Dell or HP (ready to use out of the box), you'll want to use the 'OEM tool' updater that they provide. If it's fresh from the factory it should be preinstalled & in your apps, if it's not a web search will find where to get it. Just make sure to get it from the manufacturer's website.

If you have issues with the 'PC OEM' driver updates, or support for your model ended and their tool offers nothing (I've been there), or if you built your own desktop PC, then the ('hardware OEM') Intel DSA / GCC / Download Center webpage, & ('software OEM') Windows Update / checking through Device Manager would be your options, but with laptops that probably have custom 'PC OEM' drivers beware of these updates (as Scott mentioned).

Scott, in the event a driver update goes wrong, shouldn't Windows Safe Mode load native drivers to work with the graphic chipset, if only even with basic functionality to restore a backed up custom driver?

Ahhh, drivers.

I was still getting a back-and-forth between Windows 10 updating the driver, & then Dell Update rolling it back. A ping-pong ball, my 630 felt like. For a while if I clicked 'Check for Updates', Windows would just update it without even asking me. Now it at least just shows up under Optional Updates, & doesn't force update it, just for Dell to want to roll it back.

So at this particular moment...

Dell Inspiron 3670 with onboard Intel UHD Graphics 630 chip

Current driver version installed is                                          v.27.20.100.8935, released 10/28/2020

Dell Update tool reports                                                            I have other updates but not for your Intel 630, quit asking

Intel Driver Support Assistant prompts for update to      v.31.0.101.2115, released 12/29/2022

Intel Graphics Command Center prompts for update to  v.31.0.101.2115, released 12/29/2022

Windows Update offers optional update to                        v.27.20.100.9664

I kept Intel DSA installed, & just hid the above update on there for now.

I turned off update notifications in Intel GCC. A manual check prompts for update to v.31.0.101.2115, but in GCC if I go to System -> GPUs -> Intel UHD Graphics 630, it says I'm using the most current driver, v.27.20.100.8935. Lol.

It's fine. System usually runs fine, usually. Was just hoping some update might help quell the occasional blue screen, or system hangs directly after a restart, where I just get black screens until I power down and back up again.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

His manufacturer is Dell, who provides their own tool - which is what is being referred to here as an 'OEM tool' - for downloading and installing updates. We always recommend using OEM tools if they are available - especially for laptops - as they, amongst other things, provide the updates that are specific to, or are customized for, the specific machine.

Once the OEM abandons the user - you know, when that anemic warranty you got ends - a tool like Intel's IDSA can provide some updates. But - and this is a big 'but' - you have to be careful with laptops to not upgrade customized drivers as the customizations will be lost and, in some cases, the laptop could become unstable. Talk to your OEM's support folks to find out if this is the case - and if you are lucky, they will respond and provide useful information (sigh!).

If you don't use a generic tool like IDSA or a more-specific one from your OEM, then you have to either download and install your drivers manually or wait for them to eventually appear in the Windows Update catalog and be installed automatically. If you want to stay ahead of the game and do it yourself, you are going to need to go to the pages that your OEM provides for drivers and other updates specific to your PC. For generic drivers from Intel, you can use the Intel Download Center (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html) to search for and download them. All of Intel's driver packages are easy to install; simply run the setup executable (note name may be different) and it will then walk you through the installation process (ok, only a little sarcasm in that statement). 

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson
Super User

What version of the driver is being reported as installed? Is it actually saying that it is a same-version overinstall?

...S

0 Kudos
forwood
Beginner

er, yes, that is what I wrote and posted the details.

0 Kudos
DoubleZ
Novice

Hi forwood,

If it’s like my situation, which is what I think Scott was getting to, the Intel Driver Support Assistant might be prompting for you to reinstall v.31.0.101.4091 again because something else rolled the driver back to a previous version (like Windows Update or an OEM updater tool).

Something I also missed when I first posted, was that the Intel DSA was displaying the current version of the driver installed, which I mistook for the update it was offering. Still had issues with the driver being rolled back though.

DoubleZ_0-1677535341209.png

Anyhow, to recap, Intel DSA cautions that installing the new driver (v.31.0.101.2115, released 12/29/22) that it provides for my onboard Intel UHD Graphics 630 chip may remove computer manufacturer (OEM) customizations from my Dell PC, and if a newer driver is available from Dell, to use that.

DoubleZ_1-1677535363722.png

The Dell site offers a slightly newer version, v.27.20.100.9664, A00, released 9/14/21, than what is installed currently, but not as current as the one IDSA offers.

Why Dell Updater has not updated it to this driver on their site I’m not sure. It’s listed as supported under my machine. I tried the live driver scan tool on the site too.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-c0Z1akFNY1gwQ01MN3BTbFRaSS9zZz090/drivers:

DoubleZ_2-1677535396986.png

But (and I forgot this part) IDSA also advises that OEM customizations will remain intact after upgrading to the latest graphics driver it offers, if I have a 6th gen Intel processor or higher, which I do.

DoubleZ_3-1677535419641.png

I lost track of what installed what, I’m going to install the IDSA provided driver again, and see if Windows or Dell Update try to roll it back.

With Dell, updates can be manually downloaded and installed when they’re released through links they’ll email.

If Dell is rolling mine back I’ll just uninstall Dell Update and do updates manually.

Windows Update seems to be leaving it alone and just offering optional update v.27.20.100.9664 (same version listed on the Dell site).

What PC do you have? I would check to see if Windows Update or a computer OEM update tool is rolling the driver back after you update with IDSA.

Best,

Zack

(gregbrikitis)

0 Kudos
forwood
Beginner

Ok, thanks Zack

You prompted me to check which driver version was installed via device manager, and it was the previous driver. Without using the IDSA tool, I checked for a newer driver on my PC which it found as I had downloaded and tried to instal it twice before!

So my query now changes to why didn't IDSA complete the update to the new driver on the previous occasions it reported doing so?  I am certain there was no event causing rollback to the previous version - and I verified this by checking 'Events' in device manager. This shows that the only event installing the driver was the one I just performed manually. I then restarted my PC to ensure that the new driver stayed updated (it did!).

Now here's an odd thing. I decided to test device manager 'Update Driver' and selected 'Search automaticaly for drivers'. It chose to instal the previous version! To avoid going another round with IDSA I then chose 'Browse my computer for drivers' and manually selected the newer driver (again!), which it installed. I don't undersand why my PC would prefer to instal the older driver when there was a newer one downloaded and installed, particularly when I had restarted the machine.

Unless anyone has any bright ideas to solve this riddle, I will leave it there for the moment. I shall keep an eye out in future events as reported by IDSA to see whether it actually completes an installation.

forwood

0 Kudos