Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel Graphic Drivers 20.19.15.5058 unstable

DMeye2
Beginner

I'm having an issue with the latest Intel graphic drivers version 20.19.15.5058 released 9/16/2018. My screen flickers and becomes impossible to use. I have discovered a work around. If I plug in an HDMI cable hooked up to my TV my display on my laptop is stable. Starting up my pc with the HDMI cable attached brings up my laptop display OK. Once in my desktop I can remove the HDMI cable and it will remain stable throughout. If my laptop goes to sleep upon awakening the flickering starts again. Plug in the cable and it stabilizes.

Rolled back drivers to windows default driver and everything works OK.

Unfortunately without the new driver some games on the internet do not work as well.

Using a Toshiba Satellite laptop model E45W

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should use only the drivers from toshiba for your laptop, as they may have been customized/modified by toshiba specifically for their hardware.

Doc

0 Kudos
DMeye2
Beginner

Windows 10 update installed the Intel graphics 5500 drivers I didn't have a choice. Toshiba is out of business now.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Install one from toshiba and report the findings:

https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200010430&osId=26 Satellite E45W-C4200 Support | Toshiba

Doc

0 Kudos
DMeye2
Beginner

I installed the Toshiba driver as suggested. Scared the crap out of me my computer went dark for 5 minutes. Once I was back in desktop no notable difference. The screen still flickers unless I plug the HDMI cable in. My laptop does work normal with the default microsoft default driver.

I am no longer able to rollback to the default driver windows 10 comes with. Tried upgrading to the newer Intel drivers again. This time the app stops and gives me a message the drivers are not compatible with my system. It loaded them the first time with no problem.

I chose the option to let windows update my drivers. It installed the Intel 5500 drivers 20.19.15.4963 dated 2/12/2018.

Still have flickering unless I plug in my HDMI cable on startup. Once in desktop I can remove the cable and my system is stable.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should have been able to go back to a restore point.

Whatever the case, the windows supplied generic drivers can be found here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel+5500+graphics+windows+10 Microsoft Update Catalog

Just sort the list by last updated.

The 2/12/2018 makes sense when you sort the list.

Perhaps not related, but worth doing is to update the bios from toshiba.

After that, download, run, and attach the results of this utility"

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Then, an intel support engineer can assist you.

Also, why do you say toshiba is out of business?

Doc

0 Kudos
DMeye2
Beginner

No restore point, I reloaded windows yesterday trying to solve this issue. That's when I discovered the default driver works.

I'm not messing with the bios, this computer ran great up until two weeks ago.

Regarding Toshiba, "TOKYO—Toshiba Corp., which was the first in the world to commercialize laptop computers in 1985, is selling the business to Sharp Corp., a symbolic step marking Toshiba's withdrawal from most consumer businesses".

I ran SSU.exe and attached is the information gathered.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Thanks for letting me know about toshiba. I was just looking at laptops on their site and actually found one I liked.

It is getting more and more difficult to find a laptop with the features you want, in the right price-range, and with support.

Doc

0 Kudos
DMeye2
Beginner

Your welcome Doc

I recently was looking at new laptops. The trend for computers has been to get cheaper over the years. I was surprised to see they got a lot more expensive. I only paid $500 for this Toshiba I'm using now. Prices are basically double now.

Dave

0 Kudos