Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel Graphics 630 keeps flickering after motherboard change

louis_santucci
Beginner

Good evening,

I have a MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX laptop (the different components of the laptop are listed in the attached .txt file and in the attached screenshots).

I changed the motherboard of my laptop a few weeks ago, and reformatted all the disks on it. When I tried to install Windows 10, the screen never stopped flickering.

I noticed that it was because of the Intel Graphics 630 graphic card.

I managed to install NVIDIA drivers for my other graphic card in order to be able to stop the screen to flicker, and to use my computer.

I have to disable the Intel graphics card because it never stops flickering, or the screen goes black, or I end with a BSOD...

When I try to install the latest Intel Graphics driver, the computer enables the graphic card, and it ends with a black screen, or the laptop reboots, but the installation never finishes, no matter the laptop is plugged or not.

I was convinced it was because of a lack of drivers concerning the motherboard, so I came on the MSI website in order to install all the other drivers. I could install all the drivers, except the VGA (ie the Intel Graphics driver).

I'm quite demoralized, because I saw a lot of differents posts about flickering screens, but nothing could help me finishing the driver's installation, so my Intel graphic card is totally useless.

I just tried to use the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, but it's totally useless, I just can't finish the installation. Even installing manually the drivers doesn't work !

I installed Ubuntu on another disk, to check wether the Intel graphic card work or not, but I had some problems too : the screen was black too. I ended by forcing "nomodeset" option on every boot in order to make Ubuntu work.

Do you think it could be an issue from the motherboard hardware?

Can I solve this issue by myself, or do I need to ask for help to MSI?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @louis_santucci

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Checking the Intel® SSU report, we noticed the system is running graphics driver version 26.20.100.7584. However, the latest customized graphics driver from MSI* is version 25.20.100.6519.

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM). OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. In this case, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver using the OEM driver from MSI to discard driver-related issues. 

Please perform a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using MSI's driver "Intel Graphics Driver Version 25.20.100.6519". You may start the process from Step 6. During the process, please make sure all steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

If the behavior persists using the latest OEM driver from MSI*, please repeat the clean install process but this time using the Intel® DCH generic graphics driver Version 30.0.101.1069 for testing purposes.

Please report back the outcome of the test.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
louis_santucci
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel, thank you for your answer.

I already tried to follow the instructions that you mentionned (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html).

I managed to totally uninstall the Intel driver from the PC, and deleted it, but when I reboot my computer (the 11th step).

I finally saw the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as you were mentionning, and started the Intel Graphics driver's installation (version 25.20.100.6519).

I had an error message during the Intel Graphics 630 driver's installation saying that it couldn't finish the installation.

Do you know if there are any way to install it directly from the .zip file, and not from the .exe file?

EDIT: I tried to install the Version 30.0.101.1069 but the screen goes black, and the installation cannot finish

Best regards,

Louis

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello louis_santucci

Thank you for your response.

In regards to this behavior that is happening when installing the driver, please ensure your Microsoft* operating system is up to date:

• Open Windows Update settings (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update).
  • Click Check for updates.
  • Once the update appears, select Download and install now. (Note: If Windows* Update offers a graphics driver update, please let it install to see if the flickering issue persists).
  • Restart your device to complete the update installation process.

If no graphics driver was offered/installed through Windows* Update Service or if the flickering issue persisted with the Windows* driver, please try again the Clean install process using the OEM driver from MSI* as the first option, and the Intel® generic driver as the second option using, for now, the .exe file installer (links to the drivers and process provided in our previous post). Please run the installers as "Administrador": right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator".

If the issue persists (either the flickering problem or unable to finish driver installation) please provide us with the following details:

1- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

2- Is this happening only with the built-in display or also if you test using an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI)?

3- Does the flickering issue happen inside the BIOS configuration screen? (To access the BIOS, please check with the motherboard/laptop manufacturer).

4- Is there any equipment near the display/monitor that could be causing electrical noise?

5- Just to make sure we have the proper information, in your first post you said that "you reformatted all the disks on the computer", does this also mean that you did an operating system (OS) clean installation?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
louis_santucci
Beginner

Hello,
Thanks a lot for your precious time and your answers.

In Windows Update, I have an optional update ('Mises à jour facultatives' in French) about the Intel driver (I took a screenshot to show you the update).
Each time I tried to update it, the screen got black, but I managed to install anyway, the problem is that I cannot boot without disabling the Intel driver after this optional update.
So I need to uninstall it, or I need to disable the Intel Graphic driver to make the screen work.

I tried to install both installers with admin privileges :
- The first one showed me the same error message as if I wasn't admin
- The second makes the screen flicker too, and couldn't finish the installation

1) You can find the results file in the attached files
Everything looks fine, all the tests except the graphic ones passed.

2) Actually, I tried all the different situations with my built-in display, and an external display using a straight-through connection. When I'm using an external display, both screens flicker.

3) When I'm in the BIOS configuration screen, there is no problem at all. The screen doesn't flicker.

4) Nothing around my monitor is causing electrical noise.

5) To be honest, I accidentally short-circuited my motherboard when I tried changing the SSD drive in my laptop, so that's why I changed my motherboard. After that, I just plugged my new SSD drive on it (there was nothing on it, so I installed Win10 OS on this drive, the old SSD drive containing my old files and Win10 OS is not in my laptop anymore).

I think I could have access to the old SSD drive to see what drivers I was using, but I don't really know if it's possible just to paste them on my new SSD drive.

My computer was working well with both Intel Graphics 630 driver and NVIDIA graphic card driver before I short-circuited the motherboard, so I could possibly think it is because of the new motherboard, but nothing shows explicitly that the new motherboard has problems...

Best regards.

Louis SANTUCCI

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello louis_santucci

Thank you very much for your response and for all these details. Please allow us to review this further and as soon as we have more information available, we will be posting it here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @louis_santucci

We have released a new production driver. Please try one more time the Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using the latest driver Intel Graphics DCH Driver 30.0.101.1191 using the .exe file. If you still have issues installing the driver this way (e.g.: driver's installation saying that it couldn't finish the installation), please try to install the driver using the .zip file following these steps:

1. Download and save the .zip file from Download Center on the computer.
  2. Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.
  3. Go back to the Intel Graphics entry in the Device Manager.
  4. Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.
  5. In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
  6. Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete. (If necessary, repeat steps 3 to 6 until the driver in the Device Manager displays as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.) 
  7. Go to where the .zip file is saved and unzip it.
  8. Right-click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  9. Select Update driver.
  10. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
  11. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  12. Click Have Disk.
  13. Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.
  14. Click Next. Drivers are being installed.
  15. Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the problem persists, then we believe that it may be related to the motherboard change. Was the OEM MSI* who performed the change? The best would be to check on this again since maybe the motherboard is causing the issue due to bad installation or other defective hardware.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello louis_santucci

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post and try the manual installation using the .zip file. Or were you able to check with your OEM MSI*?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello louis_santucci

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

If the problem continues, our final recommendation is to review this further with MSI* Support for additional assistance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos