Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel Graphics Command Center: Working or not?

sarcasmasquach
Beginner

Hello hello.

I have a Lenovo Thinkbook with Windows 10, an Intel i5-1035G4 with Intel Iris Plus 655 graphics and 8 GB RAM. I have been fiddling with the graphics settings for Star Wars: The Old Republic in Intel Graphics Command Center and honestly, I cannot tell if they are doing anything. The in-game FPS counter doesn't seem to change at all when I toggle options on and off in the Command Center. The program was able to auto-detect the game and Intel's own site lists SW:TOR with recommended settings for my CPU but I'm a little skeptical that the program does anything. Does anyone have any feedback for me on this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sarcasmasquach,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following logs and information to continue with your support request.

1-Please run the following tools and attach the reports generated.  

-Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

•          Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information

•          By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

•          Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

•          To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

-DXDIAG 

•          Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 

•          On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 

•          On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 

•          Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

- Intel® Graphics Command Center report

Instructions link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

2-Please, respond to the following questions to have a better understanding of your inquiry.

-Did you enable all the three options (Anti-aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, and Adaptive Tessellation) available in the command center?

-What is the tool that you are using to measure the game’s performance?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
sarcasmasquach
Beginner

Hi!

Thanks for your quick response. In IGCC the only option I have available under "Global Settings" is Adaptive Tessellation. I do have that enabled.

I played around with CMMA, VSync, 16x Anisotropic filtering enabled and Texture Filtering Mode set to Quality vs all of those options off and Texture Filtering Mode set to Performance.  I also toggled the game's own VSync, AA and Anisotropic filtering on and off.

I ran four different combinations:

1) with those mentioned IGCC settings and related in-game settings on

2) only the IGCC settings mentioned, in-game settings off

3) IGCC settings off, in-game settings on

4) with all settings off or set to minimum

I took screengrabs of each and utilized the game's FPS counter. There was no discernible difference whenever I switched on the settings in IGCC for this game. The game was added  via the Auto-Detect function in IGCC and I created custom profiles under "Custom Settings and Optimizations." #2 and #4 generated the best performance. The best appearance was found using #1 and #3. Which leads me to believe that IGCC isn't doing anything.

I understand this isn't a gaming laptop, but this is confusing to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for your time,

- Alex

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sarcasmasquach,

The settings mentioned for the Intel® Graphics Command Center are options that you can choose to increase the following qualities:

Anti-aliasing or CMMA: It works to smooth out geometric edges in your graphics improving the overall image quality.

Anisotropic Filtering: Allows to clarity distant surfaces textures that are seen at an angle. The best way to see the effect of anisotropic filtering is to turn off the setting, look at the ground(in-game) a few meters ahead, then compare it to the clarity of the ground close to you. As you look farther away, the surfaces become blurrier. The effect is more pronounced when the in-game camera is in motion. Then turn anisotropic filtering on, the far-off surfaces become much more detailed.

Adaptive Tessellation (available only on platforms with 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors or newer): Is used to maintain high visual quality in games at a lower rendering cost through a mesh generation technique.

It is good to mention that none of these options are used to increase, maintain or decrease the amount of FPS you have in-game; however, they might indirectly affect the in-game experience since they do consume both bandwidth and GPU processing; therefore, you should only use these options if you are looking forward to getting the specific benefits of each option.

For any other issues regarding quality remember that both your computer (BIOS, drivers, and operating system) and your game (patches and updates) must be fully updated so you can get the best experience possible.

Also, just so you know you may check recommended settings for other games available for your processor in the following link:

https://gameplay.intel.com/CPUSelectedGameSearch/Index/196591/0

It is worth mentioning as well that these game requirements do mention that it was meant to work back in 2011 with DirectX 11 and Windows 10 only installs DirectX 12, which can end up affecting the overall performance of the game; however, I would like to recommend for you the steps in the following article for you to try and please let me know if you need anything else.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030981/graphics.html

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sarcasmasquach,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
sarcasmasquach
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

I am still disappointed to see that IGCC just simply doesn't have any affect on games despite what the program is described as. I took all the advice given. I understand that it isn't supposed to change the FPS, I was only using that as further proof that IGCC doesn't seem to do anything. If the AA and anisotropic filtering were functioning correctly, there should be a noticeable negative impact on a game's FPS. Image quality hasn't changed either. Perhaps it's because the game is older as noted, but then why would IGCC autodetect it if it's not going to do anything? It's confusing, and ultimately, a waste of time I guess.

Thanks for you help, however.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sarcasmasquach,

We appreciate all the information provided, in this case, please take into consideration the following information:

-In order to get the best configuration for that game you will need to get in touch with the game’s developer, they should be able to provide a configuration that works for you even though the game as you have already figured out has limitations when it’s run on today’s hardware.

- In regard to the Intel® Graphics Command Center performance we are continuously working on research and development of new updates for it and we are going to take your feedback and information provided into consideration for our developer’s team.

If you need anything else please let me know.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sarcasmasquach,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sarcasmasquach,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored 

Victor G. 

0 Kudos