Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel HD 3000 driver (i7-2640m) no OpenGL 3.3 and OpenCL 1.2 CPU runtime support

idata
Employee

I have a i7-2640m CPU on my laptop with Integrated Graphics Display (IGD) intel HD 3000. I am on windows 8.0 x64.

I am opening this thread because I feel that intel has forgot about supporting the intel HD 3000 owners with 2 newer version APIs These being OpenGL 3.3 support and OpenCL 1.2 support (CPU)

1. I am desperately trying to find OpenCL 1.2 CPU runtime support.

I have tried this runtime but my graphics card is not supported. intel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2013_r3_x64_setup.exe

Can intel produce a compatible intel sdk for ocl aplications runtime x64 for intel HD 3000 (CPU support)???????? Currently the OpenCL supported version (CPU) is 1.1

2. I also feel that intel has forgot to add some missing features in order to fully support OpenGL 3.3 (and 3.2).

The hardware can support upto OpenGL 3.3. The driver is currently supporting 3.1 Can you please update the graphics card driver

PLEASE intel HELPPPP. I need the intel HD 3000 driver to have latest supported API versions. OpenCL 1.2 (CPU) and OpenGL 3.3 support

54 Replies
idata
Employee

Actually Asus GT730 is pci-e 2.0. One of my mini-itx home theater pcs is with pci-e 1.0a which lately I have upgraded considerably, with 2x4GB (laptop so-dimm ram modules), with an AMD Radeon 7750 and some bios and firmware updates though it has a P9600 low power CPU (25Watt), I am testing for fun, bitcoin. I get out of it 120 MH/s but will install n antminer U2 (2GH/s), in addition and maybe in the future a similar usb dongle with 8GH/S. Since I have PV system installed (metered) and I have some power to spare. Maybe I can balanced my extra power with this method and win some bit coins, though I am not happy so far with the performance outcome.

I was imagining what will happen if I install a 8X pci-e 2.0 on a pci-e 1.0a. That would work like a pci-e x4, which would be the worst configuration. Don't worry. The performance of 8x and 16x on pci-e 2.0 is almost the same, but if installed on pci-e 1.0 slot that would make a huge difference. The pci-e express dock I purchased from china does not say if it is pci-e 2.0 or 1.0 so I did not want to take the risk. Actually it says the following: PCI-E X16:DMI GT/s (X1) 5

Support for PCI-E X16, the actual X1 mode (according to different notebook configuration can be upgraded to X2 mode).

So it could be either 1 or 2 though in my bios settings it does say x1 mode or as a second option other supported mode.

I am a Greek Cypriot, from Cyprus. I was abroad for 9 years, 8 years in UK and 1 in France, studying and then working as a Civil Engineer. Nothing to do with computers though which was always my hobby.

Received the graphics card today. Very small in size compared to other graphics cards I had. Looks great hope it performs well too..

Cheers.

Intel is still not responding. You are right I will become 100 years old for a response. They should be waiting now for the Lawyers bill. I waited enough. What a nuisance caused from intels lack of support. I am trying to convince them for something they should have done a long time ago. Why would they behave like this???????????????????????????????????????????? A 7 years lifecycle support is only on paper. Intel you are making bad business creating a bad name.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just a correction, Asus GT 730 GD5 is also x8 lanes. Even though the graphics card looks like having 16 lanes, the gpu supports 8 lanes only same as yours. The only difference was the price.

0 Kudos
tted2
Beginner

The lack of response is troubling. It is good to know when we upgrade hardware at the office next quarter that NONE of the PCs or Laptops we buy will have Intel processors and likely in the future we will make sure to never purchase a product affiliated with Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For this reason I bought an AMD GPU external graphics card. So intel please continue disappointing your clients. It is for your benefit .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel Lock this thread too as you have done in the past when you have no answer.

No answer no solution no satisfaction.

1. WiDi not working under windows 10,

2. New driver from Microsoft windows 10 is not display on Intel Web site. One has to get it from Microsoft Update Catalog.

3. OpenGL 3.3 is not supported under windows drivers because intel has failed to carry out any software updates, meaning that intel has no resources to carry out updates

4. OpenCL 1.2 GPU is not supported under intel hd 3000. CPU OpenCL 1.2 support has to be manually installed, because intel has not updated their graphics card driver to include this update.

5. Intel is locking threads on intel hd 3000 because they dont support their customers.

6. Intel support has given me a ticket, after asking me my phone number my address, my personal info, and they never replied.

For these reasons Intel support sucks. I hope you don't start making cars because people will die due to luck of firmware/software ECU support.

0 Kudos
lfoxh
Beginner

Pretty shocked with how badly intel has changed their support for older Cpus, i recently got myself a laptop dell latitude which has a core i5 processor having intel hd 3000, at first i was excited becuase i always counted on intel provide updates promptly , but to my horror when i upgraded to windows 10 , found out that there is not even a proper driver support from intel, you have to get one via windows udpate.

I had issues playing grim fandango remastered because it needs opengl 3.3 , i was shocked when the double fine devs told me that intel hd 3000 had opengl 3.3 support, but alas only on linux, never thought i would see the day that intel would not update a system with a feature which it supports.

It pains me to see that being a long time intel camp supporter, right from the pentium 2, 3, 4, core 2 duo. I was always happy with the driver support they provided before.

I use a laptop specially the integrated ones because i have to move a lot around for work....if intel starts to drop support for their built in gpus like this it would be a bad taste, considering how nvidia and amd support their legacy products so well.

When did intel change so badly with support ? leaving loyal customers without proper support, i say this before because i have a even older laptop which has a intel gma x3100 and shocked when they provided dx10 support after a driver update.

So lets consider this now

Intel GMA x3100

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-X3100.2176.0.html Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 - NotebookCheck.net Tech

was supported well but they did screw up opengl where it supported only 1.5 on windows , 2.0 on mac, linux 2.1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units# Fourth_generation List of Intel graphics processing units - Wikipedia

I thought it was odd and probably would never happen again but history repeats

Intel hd 3000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units# Sixth_generation List of Intel graphics processing units - Wikipedia

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html Intel HD Graphics 3000 - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Improper windows 10 support, opengl on windows is 3.1 , mac gets 3.3 , linux gets 3.3 how awful is this ? its shameful.

I was planning to get another intel based laptop for the next laptop but i know how the support for it will end up after two previous experiences above , so will be going for a amd based laptop, honestly how can they not support their older customers.

0 Kudos
FHern5
Beginner

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I updated from Ubuntu to Windows 10 and OpenGL 3.3 (supported in linux) is not supported here in Windows with the same graphical card (Intel HD Graphics 3000).

I wish you could solve this issue because it is necessary for me be able to support Open GL 3.3 and I adquired my laptop recently.

Thank you,

hbukh
Beginner

Still no update?

idata
Employee

Thanks for your positive attitude. I am looking forward for your reply.well thanks to a feature of 3.2 which of course we don't have in 3.1 -> glFramebufferTexture

to tell you the truth I don't really expect Intel to consume time updating the HD 3000 Windows driver to support OpenGL 3.3 which should have been there to begin with. I was hoping to spare about 100 euro on a video card but it seems it is unavoidable, so thank you Intel!

Thanks

http://qwikfix.co.uk/sky-customer-services/ Sky

idata
Employee

It was intels best interest to either

1. Say that the processor does not support openGL 3.3

2. After the proof that the processor does support, in other operating systems, openGL 3.3, intel has moved to their last strategic weapon - mute state

3. Produce a driver with openGL3.3, 3.2, 3.1 etc support

Only chance of openGL update/upgrade, due to intel incompetency to support their clients is either:

1. Driver version 9.17.10.4459 new 2016 windows 10 driver. If you have a windows 10 OS please check the openGL version, after upgrading this new driver. I am not sure if they have included this support in the new driver made by MS. Find it in MS update catalog and please let us know.

2. External graphics card (http://www.ebay.com/itm/V8-0-EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-Mini-PCI-E-For-Beast-/291819960576 EXP GDC Laptop External Independent Video Card with express card connection + power adapter + a graphics card with, directX12, openGL4.5, openCL 2.2 support, etc).

3. Buy a new laptop with intel inside, in order to get a 2 year support on the new laptop.

Saying all the above intel believes that number 3 is your best option.

Number 1 is 10% chance that it will support openGL 3.3.

Number 2 was my favorite option which gives better benchmark tests than intel hd 4000 3rd gen benchmarks, and par on CPU benchmark since the only better support if IVY bridge vs sandy bridge was graphics card, openCL 1.2 support, and better Ram speeds (my bios does support 1866 mhz freq and this ram upgrade was already made). But you will end up spending 200-250 dollars (or euros) which will be half of a new priced laptop. (i3 or maybe i5).

As for number 3 I give up. Intel has the power to make things happen. If there is a will there is a way. But ask FYI for further information!!

0 Kudos
tted2
Beginner

Has there been any update on if or when the missing opengl support will be added, or is this something that is going to end up becoming the basis for a class action lawsuit?EstebanC_Intelintel_admin

groad
Beginner

When does Intel make the Driver opensource to let some programmers democracy to develop those drivers for us. For such reason earlier I changed all hardware baying Nvidia instead of AtiTech., hope this is not happen to Intel.

Actual I have one of pc that has Intel Gpu HD 3000 with the expensive i7 processor, I am afraid to see on Windows 10 there is not DirectX11 support nor OpenGL 3.3, the 3.2 is at least needed but not there for Aps, so it is only OpenGL 3.1!!!

* OpenGL Replay for Request for OpenGL drivers > 3.1.

* OpenCL is concurent standard, lot of software like blender need this with Hardware Accelerated OpenCL (not the i7 software opencl, couse you need cpu for other calculations for apps, it have to be GPU).

* DirectX Are you in old 7 or later in 8 or 10, than request DirectX > 10.1 see DirectX with cmd> dxDiag.exe on Display tab.

* DirectDraw on Windows 10 seems to be failure, or bug, because directdraw on earlier dxdiag or directdraw App need to escaped (or PINK screen hangs), because directdraw closes the video program.

* Hardware Acceleration for Windows 10 using the GPU needed. Cpu let it free for Apps and make use of GPU is all i said, hope that opensource and programmers would be found for implementation.

* OpenSource - Beta-Testers are waiting for UPDATE from Intel.

MRobe14
Beginner

I have this problem as well. ON1 Photo RAW requires OpenGL 3.3 to run on my Dell XPS15z which has the Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU. Surely Intel isn't just ignoring this issue.

0 Kudos