Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel HD 4000 HDMI Audio Driver issue?

idata
Employee

I just changed from an AMD setup to Intel. I noticed that not all sounds play through the Intel HDMI Audio driver.

It seems like shorter sounds don't send the right type of handshake to my Onkyo receiver quick enough.

For regular MP3, WAV files, Windows Media Center, etc... everything is fine.

When playing shorter sounds like Windows Sounds (IE..as your perform tasks in Windows it dings..etc), or playing test sounds in the Windows Control Panel, the Receiver switches modes, but the HDMI port has probably already sent the audio, so nothing plays. I think the AMD/ATI card, kept the HDMI audio port open longer or something so it wasn't much of an issue, although still happened occasionally on shorter sounds.

On the ATI/AMD card, you could replay a sounds again and the audio connection would remain open, so playing it a 2nd time would always work. With the Intel driver, it drops the audio path after each sound.

I tried the latest Video/audio driver on Intel's web-site. I also saw a test driver and tried that. Neither one made a difference.

I am using Windows 7 -64-bit ultimate. Intel i3 3225

I have tried 2 different brands of MB and the same issues (One was Z77, one was H77 chipset).

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

CPU: i7 3770S

MB: Intel DQ77KB (BIOS 0049)

A/V Receiver: LG HX976TZW (all-in-one) and Yamaha RX-V673 both on latest firmware.

OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1 with all updates applied, fresh installation.

Board connected via HDMI to A/V receiver.

This configuration shows the symptoms described by the OP and has done through several BIOS revisions and driver updates for the last 10 months.

The workaround is to use AVR Audio Guard.

I have tried both A/V receivers with an HTPC based on a different manufacturer's solution and both behave as expected, but when I reconnect my HTPC the issue arises once more.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Edit:

Keeping WMP open on the background no longer has any effect. Changed post to reflect this.

Tried beta 6.16.0.3106 audio driver dated 11/01/2013 but the issue persists.

Message was edited by: Mrt0ad

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Thanks for that info MrT0ad. I tried with our latest driver, as well as .2875 and was not able to see this issue.

For clarification, are you experiencing this problem after freshly booting the OS? As in, you are not running any programs, and just clicking the level-adjustment for volume (which results in the Windows* Asterisk sound) is experiencing this issue?

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nope, the asterisk sound played after changing the volume plays just fine.

The regular system sounds however (like the *click* of opening a folder for instance) do not.

On the display of the Yamaha AV receiver there is a visual representation of sorts of the audio stream being processed in the shape of a set of speakers (two for 2.0/2.1 and so on). When there is no audio stream the visual representation is blank (no speaker icons), if I click on a folder I can see the speaker icons appear on the receiver's LCD but due to delayed reaction of the receiver I cannot hear the sound.

Unfortunately I lack the technical knowledge to explain the problem in more detail... All I can do is try to describe what happens.

Another place where this issue is easily reproduced is the "Speaker Setup" wizard... If I set the configuration for instance to 7.1 and press "Test" every time it sends the test sound to each individual speaker the stream opens and closes (I can see the speaker icons on the receiver's LCD flash) resulting on only partial sounds being played and sometimes losing them altogether...

0 Kudos
LKerb1
Beginner

I have the same problem (besides others). And a similar setup. With the latest drivers and an Onkyo TX-NR509 connected over HDMI the receiver takes its time to synchronize to the stream. I can't hear the first seconds of playback.

0 Kudos