Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel HD 4600 install

roninc
Beginner

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron PC. It came with a gtx720 Nvdia graphics card which broke a few years later. I have been able to switch it "off" and use the Intel 4600 on the i7 chip and it has worked great for me.

The issue is every 6 months or so something installs an update, Intel, Dell, Nvidia, Windows and it sets me in to the same issue I am in now.

I have deleted all Nvidia drivers, graphic card and audio, used CCLeaner registery tool and it only shows Microsoft Basic Display under Display Adaptor in Device Manager, or it doesnt even list Display adaptor at all, when i go to install the Intel drivers that ran fine previously it now comes up "does not meet the minimum requirements".

Intel 4600HD doesnt show up, even with Hidden Files selected, in Device Manager at all now either.

At first I did solve this issue, Intel 4600HD showed up in Device Manager and everything was installed, but the problem is when i reboot the PC just reinstalls the Nvidia drivers and I am back where I started, except this time it doesnt even show the Intel 4600 in Device Manager either.

Any help with this would be so greatly appreciated, it keeps happening every 6 months or so, no idea why the Intel wont show up this time though. 😞

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Uninstall IDSA:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29923/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Uninstaller?v=t

Reboot

Download the appropriate driver for HD 4600 graphics for your OS.

Disconnect from the net (unplug your LAN or turn off wifi).

Go to the device manager, and remove BOTH 4600 entries.  When doing so, check the box that says delete the 4600 software.

reboot

You should have ONLY one display adapter entry and it should say Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  If not, repeat the removal process until it does.

Now, install the HD4600 display driver you downlloaded.

reboot

You should have ONY one display adapter, and it should say HD4600.

Reconnect to the net.

Now install the latest IDSA:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/128824/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Intel-DSA-

You should be OK.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Remove the nvidia card.

ANd,, never, ever "clean" the registry with cccleaner, or any other cleaner.

0 Kudos
roninc
Beginner

Would love to remove the nvidia card but not sure how, is tere no wy to turn it off completely?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The nvidia forum can tell you the proper procedure to remove the card.  This is a desktop, correct?

0 Kudos
roninc
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am sure you can find a video on the net regarding the removal of a graphics card.  You will not be able to move forward until you do so.

0 Kudos
roninc
Beginner

i DONE IT! WOOHOO I ripped that bad boy out 😄

So now I have a new issue 🙂

As soon as I turn my pc on and it boots up Intel Driver Support Assist tells me I need to install a driver, after installing it says to do a restart and once restarted it tells me it needs to install the same driver, again and again.

Ive attached a screengrab of the driver installing, if I am reading it correctly the Driver Version and Build date identify it, or could there be more than one driver with same details?

It may not be a side note but if I open Device Manager and Display adaptors it shows two Intel HD 4600, one with a "!".

In the past when I uninstalled the Nvida drivers, my HDMI connection stayed in the Nvida hdmi connection, the screen then flashed and I was using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

As I am now only using the intel hdmi connection I am worried if i uninstall one of the Intel 4600 drivers it will uninstall both and I wont have screen anymore as theres no hdmi connection for the Microsoft Basic Display.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Uninstall IDSA:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29923/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Uninstaller?v=t

Reboot

Download the appropriate driver for HD 4600 graphics for your OS.

Disconnect from the net (unplug your LAN or turn off wifi).

Go to the device manager, and remove BOTH 4600 entries.  When doing so, check the box that says delete the 4600 software.

reboot

You should have ONLY one display adapter entry and it should say Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  If not, repeat the removal process until it does.

Now, install the HD4600 display driver you downlloaded.

reboot

You should have ONY one display adapter, and it should say HD4600.

Reconnect to the net.

Now install the latest IDSA:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/128824/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Intel-DSA-

You should be OK.

0 Kudos
roninc
Beginner

Hi sorry for delay, I thought I was gettng an email if someone replied.

Thankyou for all of the above, I will sit down in a few days and give it a bash 🙂

0 Kudos