Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20627 Discussions

Intel HD 630 in Dell 9560 - External Monitor Reports No HDMI Video Input

swisspro
Beginner

Bought this great laptop in 2018 and all has been perfect except the HDMI port. I understand the HDMI port is 1.4. I have this system:

Dell XPS 9560, 4K UHD
Intel HD 630 and Nvidia 1050
Latest Intel drivers and latest Dell drivers
Win10 Home (1909) incl. all updates
Philips 245E 2560 x 1440 Monitor

No matter what I try, I cannot get ANY video output from the HDMI port to the Philips monitor. I currently have BIOS version 1.22 and I did read some articles suggesting that it might be necessary to use BIOS version 1.12 (October 2018) to get this working, but the system simply refuses to go back with BIOS versions (maybe I need to choose an interim version, like 1.18).

Obviously the main display is 3840 x 2160, and I'm using the very latest version of Intel Graphics Command Centre and all drivers. The Intel program is convinced everything is working correctly (the mouse for example disappears off the main display as if the Philips monitor is working correctly). The Philips monitor is brand new and indicates "No video input". Intel Graphics Command Centre even correctly identifies the make and model of monitor.

I connect (same monitor and same HDMI cable) to any number of other Dell and Samsung laptops in the office and they all work immediately.

I have tried reducing both displays to really low resolutions (1024 or 1200) and the lowest possible frequency, but no luck.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you have a failed HDMI port. Your laptop is listed as having Thunderbolt 3 - which should mean that the primary Thunderbolt 3 port exposes a DisplayPort (DP) 1.2 interface from the processor. You could try using a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter/cable or a USB-C-to-DP adapter/cable and see if this will work with your external monitor. Here are examples of these adapters/cables:

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you have a failed HDMI port. Your laptop is listed as having Thunderbolt 3 - which should mean that the primary Thunderbolt 3 port exposes a DisplayPort (DP) 1.2 interface from the processor. You could try using a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter/cable or a USB-C-to-DP adapter/cable and see if this will work with your external monitor. Here are examples of these adapters/cables:

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
swisspro
Beginner

Thanks, I was beginning to think the same thing. Sad thing is, it was like this from day 1 but I never really needed the HDMI until now (I've been using the USB-C port as you suggested). Hard to believe Dell are shipping defect hardware, though.

0 Kudos