Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20691 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 3000: Advanced mode crashes - GfxUI.exe stopped working

oey
Beginner

Hey everybody,

what I actually wanted: my new DELL screen has a native resolution of 2560x1440 and I wanna make my Futjisu Lifebook A512 (Windows 8.1 Pro) with Intel HD Graphics 3000 display this resolution on this screen via HDMI.

I found this tutorial: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm?wapkw=advanced+mode Graphics Drivers — Custom Resolutions & Modes - so I opened the Intel control panel. This actually works - but only in normal and assistant mode. The advanced mode - which I need for changing the custom resolution - unfortunately crashes. No matter if I choose advanced mode in the first screen directly or I first start normal mode and switch to advanced mode. At last there always comes the error: "GfxUI.exe stopped working."

Since I started looking for support on the internet, I tried to fix almost all I could find. Of course I (re)installed and/or updated several drivers and softwares:

- the DELL screen driver

- the Intel Graphics HD 3000 driver

- Microsoft .NET

I also changed the security settings of all config folders I could find within the .NET "Framework"-Folders according to this tutorial: http://www.bestpcsavior.com/how-to-fix-gfxui-exe-error-on-your-pc/ How to Fix GfxUI.exe Error on Your PC? | Fix EXE & DLL Errors (under "Solution 2"):

- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG

- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config

- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG

- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config

I even uninstalled a lot of old unnecassery apps and removed the GfxUI.exe.config file in C:\Windows\System32 - read somewhere that it might help... But it didn't....

The funny thing is that I really got it working ONE time, I think it was after changing any security setting in one of those folders. I could actually switch from normal to advanced mode and the software didn't crash. So I was cheered up and thought the problem was solved - but that was yesterday evening and now my problem is still there. After closing the application it did't start once more in advanced mode again after that.

Now I don't know anymore what to do. I actually believe that it has to work in any way. Maybe you have any ideas. Unfortunately I can't reinstall Windows completely because it is my employer's notebook. I'd hope to find a solution to display the 2560x1440 solution without bulldozering the system. Maybe even without making Gfxui.exe advanced mode work? At the moment I can only choose max. 2048x1152 as resolution.

At last, here are the error reports I could find in the windows event protocols when I wanna switch to advanced mode in gfxui.exe.

I'm very thankful for any of your help.

Greetings

Oliey

Application Error

Anwendung: GfxUI.exe

Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319

Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.

Ausnahmeinformationen: System.ArgumentException

Stapel:

bei MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

bei MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

bei MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

bei System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

bei System.Windows.Application.Run()

bei GfxUI.AppLarrabeeControlPanel.Main()

- http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

-

0x80000000000000

Application

PSM-GS

-

GfxUI.exe

55653f55

KERNELBASE.dll

e0434352

0000000000008b9c

01d0a370b819b025

C:\Windows\System32\GfxUI.exe

C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

fa431b42-0f63-11e5-bf29-2cd44494f5a1

.NET Rundtime Error

Anwendung: GfxUI.exe

Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319

Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.

Ausnahmeinformationen: System.ArgumentException

Stapel:

bei MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.O...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
oey
Beginner

I actually made it work by chance, I think. Since I could not believe that it won't work, I just tried to open the control panel many times in different ways. By now it could not find a reproducable way to get into advanced mode because it normally crashes.

But it worked exactly one time, when I first opened the assistant mode and then switched to advanced mode! There I could set 2560x1440@55Hz with CVT (reduced blanking). After that it was displayed as an option in Windows resolution settings and works really fine! Nevertheless, Intel control panel keeps on crashing now, even if I try to access advanced mode via assistant mode.

Thus it definitely works with HDMI and Intel HD Graphics 3000, but I assume this to be an software problem...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi oliey,

This resolution would only be support with DisplayPort*.

Please refer to this link for more information:

Quick Reference Guide to 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics (HD Graphics)

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-graphics-hd-graphics https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-graphics-hd-graphics

oey
Beginner

I actually made it work by chance, I think. Since I could not believe that it won't work, I just tried to open the control panel many times in different ways. By now it could not find a reproducable way to get into advanced mode because it normally crashes.

But it worked exactly one time, when I first opened the assistant mode and then switched to advanced mode! There I could set 2560x1440@55Hz with CVT (reduced blanking). After that it was displayed as an option in Windows resolution settings and works really fine! Nevertheless, Intel control panel keeps on crashing now, even if I try to access advanced mode via assistant mode.

Thus it definitely works with HDMI and Intel HD Graphics 3000, but I assume this to be an software problem...

0 Kudos