Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4400 Glitches

JAgui3
Beginner

I'm having problems With my GPU games and transparencies all over Windows 10 seems to glitch and have particles.

I have tried with the latest drivers from the vendor (Dell support) and I downloaded 'Intel(R) Driver Update Utility'.

Both drivers doesn't seem to help with the glitches.

Here's my specs:

Intel HD Graphics 4400 Graphic

Current Driver: 10.18.10.4252

Processor i5-4210U

My Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3542

And here some Images:

I even tried booting another OS (Ubuntu) and tried some games, but I see the same result, so I think is physical and not software related.

But I really don't know.

Maybe someone here can help me.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JAgui3
Beginner

BUMP

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello DarknessssenkraD,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

The latest version we have for Intel HD Graphics 4400 is 15.40.10.64.4300, you can try this version, please download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

Please be aware that Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

Thanks and regards!

Ivan

0 Kudos
JAgui3
Beginner

Ok, so I have installed those drivers from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen], and the problems persist, the games still glitch and I can't do anything GPU related.

For example playing a Video makes VLC crash (same with 10.18.10.4252 drivers) , It tries to play for a few seconds and then a message appears "Display Driver Stopped responding and has recovered".

The same happens with the Manufacturer driver =(

Is there a Tool to test if the GPU is physically damaged?

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

Have you tried using another (hardware accelerated) video player? Like Gom Player?

Are all 3D accelerations enabled? (you'll get this information from DxDiag).

Have you performed a clean reinstallaion of the graphics driver? (remove and delete old driver, restart computer with no GPU driver -screen resolution is decreased and brightness defaults to maximum when you do this, and then install the driver fresh)

It's extremely rare (if at all) for an on-CPU IGP to die without taking the CPU along. I've never heard of this happening even once ever since Intel started manufacturing on-CPU IGPs.

It's possible for high 3D games to break your Intel IGP (temporary error, no permanent damage-only the game fails, but the IGP doesn't suffer any permanent consequences), because these games are not really meant to be played without a dedicated graphics card (I get this same driver stopped responding error if i try to play Assassin's Creed Syndicate on my Intel HD5500 IGP), but the IGP should have absolutely no problems playing a standard resolution video in VLC.

It's equally odd that a live Ubuntu stick can reproduce the problem!

Have you tried restoring BIOS defaults for the notebook?

Have you tried a power cycle? (disconnect AC adapter, pull out the battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, release the power button, install the battery, connect AC, turn on and check if the problem persists).

Use openhardwaremonitor to track your CPU temperature, is it heating up a lot?

0 Kudos
JAgui3
Beginner

Thanks for your response, I'm going to try all those tests, and let you know what happened with each one!

0 Kudos
JAgui3
Beginner

Awesumium wrote:

Have you tried using another (hardware accelerated) video player? Like Gom Player?

Same Result with the GomPlayer, a lot of particles and the driver stops

Awesumium wrote:

Are all 3D accelerations enabled? (you'll get this information from DxDiag).

All these are enabled

Have you performed a clean reinstallaion of the graphics driver? (remove and delete old driver, restart computer with no GPU driver -screen resolution is decreased and brightness defaults to maximum when you do this, and then install the driver fresh)

Yes many times, with different versions, from the ones that they suggest at the first response in this thread, and the ones at Dell Support site, all with the latests and some old ones, but same result in all of them, glitches and driver stopping

It's equally odd that a live Ubuntu stick can reproduce the problem!

It's not an Ubuntu Stick, I have another partition with Ubuntu 10.04 and I thought that formatting Windows 10 would be enough, but same problem after formatting the system =(

So I went to my Ubuntu for consolation, and the problem is present there too =(

Have you tried restoring BIOS defaults for the notebook?

Yes, no luck there !

Have you tried a power cycle? (disconnect AC adapter, pull out the battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, release the power button, install the battery, connect AC, turn on and check if the problem persists).

Had not tried that one! but now that you suggested it I did it! and the problem is still there

Use openhardwaremonitor to track your CPU temperature, is it heating up a lot?

I think is normal

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

Would it be possible for you to check if the problem persists using a Live Ubuntu stick? (Don't use a persistent live stick)

The IGP uses system RAM as vRAM. Perform a RAM test using the BIOS test utilities (or a short test using the Windows memory diagnostic tool)

0 Kudos
JAgui3
Beginner

I used a Live (non persistent) Ubuntu Stick and the glitches are there

I tried Chrome experiments with Webgl and glitches were there. and Installed VLC and glitches on the videos too

As for the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool reached 100% with no problems showing.

Now with the Live USB Stick I think more than ever it's hardware, but as you say is so weird that the GPU is damaged and the CPU is intact

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

In this case, try the Beta driver we have released, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

DarknessssenkraD wrote:

I used a Live (non persistent) Ubuntu Stick and the glitches are there

I tried Chrome experiments with Webgl and glitches were there. and Installed VLC and glitches on the videos too

As for the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool reached 100% with no problems showing.

Now with the Live USB Stick I think more than ever it's hardware, but as you say is so weird that the GPU is damaged and the CPU is intact

This might indeed be one of those exceptionally rare failure modes, where the IGP has failed and the CPU is still going strong.

It might as well be a motherboard problem (which I think is more likely, CPUs and CPU components hardly ever fail when they are used within design specifications - your temperatures look well within limits, and if you've not attempted overclocking/ overvolting anything in the past, the CPU has not been abused).

Could you verify if there's an updated BIOS available at dell.com ?

If there isn't, you could try to flash the BIOS with the latest available version anyway - if there's a firmware level corruption, this should clear it up.

PS: BIOS updates are risky if not done correctly, read all instructions in dell.com carefully before attempting. Do not unplug the computer from AC, try to power off the computer, or press any of the keys on your keyboard until the BIOS update completes. In short, do not interrupt the flashing process. It's normal for LEDs to flash and the screen to stay blank while the BIOS updates/flashes itself.

0 Kudos
JAgui3
Beginner

That file says:

When I try to install It

0 Kudos
JAgui3
Beginner

Awesumium wrote:

Could you verify if there's an updated BIOS available at dell.com ?

If there isn't, you could try to flash the BIOS with the latest available version anyway - if there's a firmware level corruption, this should clear it up.

PS: BIOS updates are risky if not done correctly, read all instructions in dell.com carefully before attempting. Do not unplug the computer from AC, try to power off the computer, or press any of the keys on your keyboard until the BIOS update completes. In short, do not interrupt the flashing process. It's normal for LEDs to flash and the screen to stay blank while the BIOS updates/flashes itself.

I have the latest BIOS version from dell website.

When I try to install it again it says

I read that the processor is soldered to the motherboard on my laptop, so I guess I'm going to need to replace the whole thing (both) =(

And it costs 300$ USD =(

Any more Ideas or tests are welcome! and I appreciate all your help!

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

The motherboard and the CPU are the two most expensive components on a notebook- replacing these will cost a lot.

AFAIAO, Intel has not released an IGP diagnostic tool to rule out hardware problems.

We've exhausted all the troubleshooting options that I can think of,

It might make more sense to dump this notebook (sell it online) and get a new 6th generation notebook with an NVidia GTX graphics/ PhysX accelerator- given that the repair is gonna cost a ton, and you have a liking for high demanding 3D games.

As you've yourself pointed out, the issue can be reproduced in 3 different Operating Systems (Windows 10, Ubuntu, and Ubuntu Live), it's extremely unlikely to be a software/ driver problem. It's probably a firmware problem, or the hardware itself has malfunctioned (these are the only two things common to all 3 operating systems, one of these must be the point of failure).

Could you verify if disabling graphics acceleration in VLC allows it to play videos?

If it does, you can at least watch videos on this notebook until you go for the repair/ replacement option.

0 Kudos
JAgui3
Beginner

Yeah about that, when I let the Microsoft basic driver take over, everything works fine, but no acceleration.

Videos, movies and the Windows 10 GUI work fine, Photoshop with no 3D features and everything else responds ok, but yeah forget about gaming.

Sigh! thanks for everything, let me see if I can convince my wife I need a new laptop for work stuff (games xD LOL).

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Thank you all for the valuable information you have kindly provided.

In this case the Microsoft driver is the driver needed for your system and the one I provided above is a generic one and your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

ivanu_intel wrote:

Thank you all for the valuable information you have kindly provided.

In this case the Microsoft driver is the driver needed for your system and the one I provided above is a generic one and your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan, the MS driver is a basic driver, it works on all graphics hardware, Intel, AMD, geforce, everything.

The MS basic driver doesn't allow hardware acceleration. It's the default driver that Windows installs at the time of OS installation (without any driver at all, the graphics would completely fail to initialize and the user would see a dark screen!) The only purpose of the basic driver, is to allow the user to see things on the screen and allow him to install the GPU specific driver. ALL hardware acceleration is disabled if he uses the MS basic driver. He won't be able to play a single 3D game with the basic driver.

If the hardware has been customized by Dell and this customization is breaking generic Intel driver compatibility, he needs a driver from dell.com, not the MS basic driver!

0 Kudos