Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 520 Laptop working great with 4k, but not compatible with ultrawide ?

Omar85
Beginner

I'm in a very weird situation.

My Lenovo yoga 900 (intel i7 - Intel HD graphics 520) is  working perfectly with 4k TV's but sub-par with ultrawide monitors.
The ultrawide monitor is the Samsung C34f791, and I also tried with Samsung S34E790 and the results were the same (or slightly worse)

Here's what I've done:

1) Connect Lenovo yoga900 to the ultrawide monitor: Colors are washed out, foggy/blurry and lack saturation (3440*1440 @100hz and tried to downgrade to 50 and 60hz, same problem).. using Anker usb-c to HDMI adapter and HDMI 2 cable

2) Connect a T470p laptop or PC to the ultrawide monitor: works perfect, and Colors are stunning (3440*1440 @100hz).. using the same HDMI 2 cable

3) Connect the yoga900 to a 4K 55inch TV: perfect, colors are stunning (4k@60hz) using the same Anker usb-c to HDMI adapter and HDMI 2 cable

I don't know what to make of this, would you please help me fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Omar85

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We would like to update this thread regarding your last question.

The Intel® HD Graphics can support 3440x1440@100Hz resolution (otherwise the option would not be available for selection on the Intel® Graphics Command Center).

About the actual problem description "Colors are washed out, foggy/blurry and lack saturation", this seems to be related to the use of the USB-C to HDMI adapter not allowing the Quantization range option to match the monitor's default capabilities. Our driver only supports the Quantization range on native HDMI connections.

TVs and monitors don't necessarily match in capabilities in respect of Chroma Subsampling (per example monitors often go for 4:4:4 and TVs usually default to 4:2:0) and color range (limited vs. full).

Having said that, our recommendation is to test the monitor using a straight HDMI connection or test if you can use the monitor's built-in menu to switch color range from Limited or Full. Please check your monitor's User Manual or contact their support team for proper guidance. SAMSUNG* support

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Omar85

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Did this configuration (laptop + ultrawide monitor) work fine before? If yes, was there any change related to the point where the issue started? (Windows, software, or drivers updates; hardware/cable changes?).

2- What is the graphics driver on the "T470p" laptop (the one working fine)?

3- Have you checked with Samsung* support to see if there are drivers or firmware (.inf files) available for your displays?

Have you checked your display color settings? For instance, OSD (On Screen Display) menu?

4- It is worth mentioning that Intel does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. For more details please review this link: Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel

If the laptop does not have HDMI® or DisplayPort™ outputs (meaning this: unable to test using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable), for testing purposes have you tried using another USB-C to HDM adapter and making sure it is validated by your laptop manufacturer? Or have you tried USB-C to DisplayPort™ cable?

5- Please provide 3 Reports for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link. Please generate 1 report per display, connecting the displays one at a time. (1 report for the 4k TV and 2 separate reports for the Samsung displays).

6- Could you share a short video showing the behavior?

7- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Omar85
Beginner

I'll ready the data needed, but meanwhile, would you please confirm if the Intel HD Graphics 520 supports ultrawide displays? Particularly a 34' with resolution 3440*1440 @100 hz ?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Omar85

Thank you for your response.

We understand you we'll be providing the information requested. No problem, we will be waiting for your response with this information so we can check this further,

Regarding your question, the graphics driver and graphics processing unit (GPU) can display a Max Resolution of 4K 4096x2304@60Hz resolution over DisplayPort™ (DP) 1.2; and 4096x2304@24Hz over HDMI® 1.4. When bandwidth and system configuration allow it, the GPU will display any resolution equal or lower than the Max Resolution supported by the processor that is also supported by the display, for instance, UHD, QHD, 2K, FHD, etc.

For more information, please refer to the following links:

However, the computer manufacturer (OEM) might have added customizations or limitations, so if you are interested in knowing if your laptop and display are capable of working under any other specific combination of resolution + refresh rate + color depth (e.g. 3440x1440 @100Hz) also known as "Supported Modes or Video Modes", check the user manual or technical documents for your laptop and display or contact the manufacturer for this information.

Nevertheless, we will check further regarding your specific question about compatibility information with ultrawide displays. We will be updating this thread as soon as we have more details available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Omar85

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We would like to update this thread regarding your last question.

The Intel® HD Graphics can support 3440x1440@100Hz resolution (otherwise the option would not be available for selection on the Intel® Graphics Command Center).

About the actual problem description "Colors are washed out, foggy/blurry and lack saturation", this seems to be related to the use of the USB-C to HDMI adapter not allowing the Quantization range option to match the monitor's default capabilities. Our driver only supports the Quantization range on native HDMI connections.

TVs and monitors don't necessarily match in capabilities in respect of Chroma Subsampling (per example monitors often go for 4:4:4 and TVs usually default to 4:2:0) and color range (limited vs. full).

Having said that, our recommendation is to test the monitor using a straight HDMI connection or test if you can use the monitor's built-in menu to switch color range from Limited or Full. Please check your monitor's User Manual or contact their support team for proper guidance. SAMSUNG* support

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Omar85
Beginner

Thanks Andrew, this is top notch support, I'm impressed !

I tried to connect the laptop using only usb-c cable (to the monitor's sibling cj791), and it worked perfectly!

So the usbc-hdmi adapter was the problem all along !

My question is, does that mean the adapter is defective or not-authentic or of low quality ?

This is an expensive original Anker adapter, so I expected high quality, and to be fair it worked with high quality on the 4k tv, so my 2nd question would be how do I know before buying such a cable whether it would be compatible with a monitor or not ? (giving the full range of colors accurately not washed out colors I mean)

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Omar85

Thank you for your response. We are glad to know that this is working fine using a straight-through connection with a single USB-C cable.

To answer all your questions, in the market there are many adapters and converters from many different manufacturers (many different brands and models) and Intel® cannot test all of those devices. Therefore, the display and/or computer manufacturers (OEMs) mostly perform some hardware testing and validations for different devices, adapters, or gadgets, etc; so those OEMs usually have a QVL (Qualified Vendors List) of validated devices-adapters so users can check it before deciding and purchasing any particular model.

In this scenario, we could not say if a third-party device (adapter, docking, etc) is good or bad, high or low quality, etc, since as you actually experienced with this adapter, it may work with some systems (4K TV) and may not work fine with others (UWHD display).

Something that I would try before purchasing an adapter is checking with my computer and display manufacturer to see if they have a list of specific adapters, dockings, etc that have been tested and validated to work with my environment.

After that, I would also check the adapter manufacturer's website and related forums to see other people's reviews to find out if they might have a similar environment "like mine", and most importantly, if they do, to see if it is working fine.

For more details, please also review this link:

Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel

Since you have confirmed that using a single USB-C cable this setup works fine, please kindly let us know if we can consider this thread solved or if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Omar85
Beginner

I understand what you're saying, but there's a pickle; Intel doesn't recommend any specific adapters, and neither does Samsung (The monitor maker), and I don't think the adapter maker would have such info, would they?

So there's something definitely missing in the market which is a spec. the companies agree on which make the consumer know which adapter can be used with which graphic cards and monitors/TV.

Now I know this is out of topic, but I thought I'd share this with you maybe you will use it to innovate something... or someone will find this useful in future.

I have no further question - unless you can give me any other ideas to tackle the problem stated- and I very much appreciate the knowledge and support you have provided.

Cheers,

Kabo

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Omar85

Thank you for your response.

We do understand your point. For instance, for our Intel® NUCs, since we are the OEM of the device, we have a QVL for them which includes some adapters that have been tested and validated in-house and then we publish the list on our websites so users can review it before purchasing adapters and other components. That's the reason why we mentioned that "usually each OEM would have their own general QVL list that might include adapters and converter devices" (since every system or device would have its own design and specifications, each OEM would have its own list of devices tested with their custom systems).

On the other hand, since the manufacturer of the adapter or converter will handle their own/specific electronic design and specifications, they are the ones that can test and validate that the adapter would be compatible with different types of devices, hence, they should have information available like a QVL list. Having said that, the recommendation is to give it a try and do a check with the manufacturer of the adapter.

We do appreciate your feedback and comments, and we will share them with the proper department so they may take them into consideration to improve our services, products, and support.

Finally, since you mentioned you don't have more questions and the thread has been marked as "Solved", we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Once again, we are glad to know that this setup is working fine using a straight-through connection and it has been a pleasure to assist you with these concerns.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos