Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 520 offers to output 4K only 29Hz - Latitude 7280

LGuli
Beginner

Hi,

can I kindly ask for advice how to set the driver to have "normal" 60Hz setting?

Thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Hi LGuli, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In reference to your question, you are following the correct steps to set the resolution and the refresh rate on your platform, just in case, in the following link you will see a video with more details of how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7wEkl9sdQo The Hz or refresh rate that you will be able to choose are directly related to the resolution that you have on the computer. Dell has the option to do different customizations on their products, so keep in mind that the laptop might have limitations with those features. You will be able to check the resolutions that are supported by the Intel® Core™ i5-6300U in the link below, please verify where it says "Processor Graphics": https://ark.intel.com/products/88190/Intel-Core-i5-6300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3-00-GHz- Normally once you install the graphics driver provided by Dell, you just need to right click on "Desktop" and you will be able to see the options to adjust the resolution and refresh rate. I looked in Dell's web site and the driver version available is 21.20.16.4821, A08: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=f33vw&oscode=w764&productcode=latitude-12-7280-laptop Another option will be to install the Intel® generic graphics driver version 15.40.14.4352: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-6th-Gen-?product=88355 Then right click while you are located in "Desktop", look for the "Graphics Properties" option, then select "Display" and you will be able to do those adjustments. The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, Alberto's response aside, I think that you are asking why you do not get an option to select 60Hz...

The output from the processor is a DisplayPort stream. A LSPcon chip is used to convert from DisplayPort to HDMI. This chip may only support HDMI 1.4 and thus 30Hz would be the highest supported refresh rate. In some cases, the firmware for this chip is upgradeable. You should check to see if Dell has a firmware upgrade available for it that adds HDMI 2.0 support.

Hope this helps,

...S

Alberto_R_Intel
LGuli, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
LGuli
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

I followed your steps, but it doesnt work.

The resolition option at 3840x2160 still offers max. 30Hz

When I try set it manually, it gives message: "the set resolutions is over maximum bandwidth capacity"

Probably Scott idea may lead to 60Hz, but I was not able to find the firmware upgrade.

Thank youIntel Grafics 4K issue 2.jpg

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Hi LGuli, Thank you very much for letting us know those results. For this specific scenario as N. Scott Pearson mentioned, there is a hardware limitation for the HDMI 1.4 port and it will only support 30Hz as the highest refresh rate. If you did not found the option to do an HDMI firmware update, then the next thing to do will be to check with Dell directly for them to confirm that and to provide further suggestions on this subject. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

All I can suggest is calling Dell directly and asking them for an explanation...

...S

0 Kudos