Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 520 - screen goes black when undocked

RHoff2
Beginner

We have a number of Dell E5470s which have Intel HD Graphics 520 chips. Since upgrading the computers to Windows 10 version 1703, when the computers are undocked (E Port replicator), 99% of the time the built-in display will go entirely black or, black with the mouse pointer flashing. The computer will remain in that state until the computer is re-docked. Once re-docked the computer display will work as expected. I have tried a number of video drivers including the latest that I found...21.20.16.4664.

I would appreciate suggestions you might have to help resolve this issue.

Thanks

Randy

Message was edited by: Randy Hoffman

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

RandyMC: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Graphics department and for providing that file.

Remember that the Intel graphics drivers are generic, which means they might or might not work properly with your system, in this case a Dell laptop. In order to try to fix the problem, we recommend to install the graphics drivers provided by Dell:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e5470-laptop/drivers/advanced http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e5470-laptop/drivers/advanced

Also a BIOS update will be a good thing to try, please get in contact directly with Dell to get the instructions of how to do it:

http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/19/contactus/Dynamic http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/19/contactus/Dynamic

Please let us know the results of trying those steps.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for the note and suggestions.

Prior to my post I did update the computer to the latest bios and I tried all the the versions of the graphics driver Dell had to offer for this model of computer...latest one being version 21.20.16.4627. When I had no luck with that I contacted Dell. Tech support had me do a number of things and they determined it was not hardware related. I was fairly confident with that going in since I had the same issue with multiple Dell E5470 with multiple E Port Replicators. Dell support had me contact the Dell Software and Driver Division and they too said it was not hardware issue. They could not tell me if this was a know problem or shed any light on getting this issue resolved.

It was my assumption that the likely cause of this issue is the Intel Graphics HD 520 chip along with Windows 10 Creators Update (1703). I noticed yesterday that Intel had a newer driver than Dell had and I thought that might address the issue we are having, but it did not. Hence the post I created here yesterday. I was hoping to find some suggestion or options to help me get this issue resolve.

Another thing I would like to try to is to either uninstall or disable the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and just have Windows handle the graphics control (resolution, multiple display settings etc). How can I disable or uninstall the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel?

Thanks

Randy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RandyMC: Thank you very much for providing those details.

Just to let you know I found an article about the laptops that were tested by Dell with the Windows® 10 Creators update, your is listed there, so it supports it:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN297954/computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update?lang=EN# Latitude http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN297954/computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update?lang=EN# Latitude

In this case, we will do further research on this matter, in order for us to do that, please provide the following information:

Graphics report:

Right click anywhere on the desktop and look for the option: Intel® HD Graphics control panel, once you open that, choose "options and support", then select "information center", and then choose where it says "file" at the bottom, you will get a text file, please attach it to this thread, so we can verify it.

DxDiag:

Enter DxDiag on the search bar and then once the program is open, look for the option that says: "save all the information".

Please attach those files to the thread, and in order to disable the Intel® graphics control panel you just need to un-install the Intel® graphics driver from device manager:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for the information.

I have attached the Graphics Report and the DXDiag.

Thanks for your time.

Randy
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RandyMC: You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing those files.

We will start our research on this subject in order to try to find a possible solution for this issue. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Much appreciated. Thank you for your efforts in helping resolve this issue.

Randy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RandyMC: You are welcome. I just received an update from the research we are doing, we just wanted to know if you can provide the model of the docking station and if by any chance do you know if there is a firmware for it?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

The docking station I am using most often is the Dell E-Port replicator. There is also an E-Port Plus replicator...I am fairly certain I tested that model too but not positive.

Not certain about the firmware...I think that the Synaptic VMM3320 MST Hub driver that Dell provides updates the docks firmware. If that is the case then the firmware on the dock would be 3.10.3.

Thanks

Randy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RandyMC: Thank you very much for providing that information.

We will continue doing further research on this subject, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RandyMC: I just wanted to let you that I got some updates from the research we are doing on this matter. We just wanted to verify if there is an option on the BIOS that is called "Warm dock" , please try to enable or disable it and test the laptop after that.

Also, while having the laptop connected to the dock station, please un-install the Intel® graphics driver and leave just the Microsoft® display driver, then disconnect the laptop from the dock station and install the Intel® graphics driver, connect the laptop to the dock and test it that way.

Additionally, we had reports where in some case the screen is being replaced by Dell, so, to check with them directly about this problem it is a good option as well:

http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/19/contactus/Dynamic http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/19/contactus/Dynamic

Let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Any questions, please let me know

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thank you for the suggestions.

There is not Warm Dock setting in the BIOS.

I tried a uninstalling the Intel driver when docked...got down the Microsoft driver; I found the the Microsoft driver does not support external displays. Then I undocked the computer and installed the Intel Driver. After doing that I still had the issue with the screen going blank when undocked.

I have some spare LCDs so I also tried swapping out the computer's LCD. With the new LCD the computer still acted the same as before....screen would go blank when undocked.

Randy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RandyMC: You are welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We will continue with our investigation on this subject. As soon as I get additional details, I will let you know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RandyMC: I just wanted to let you know that I just got an update from the research we were doing on this case. We tried to replicate the issue in our lab, but there was no problem at the moment we test it, when the laptop is un-docked, the built-in display works fine:

Driver tested:

Hardware:

Dell Latitude e5270

i7-6600U @ 2.60 GHz

Intel HD Graphics 520

Software:

Windows 10 Enterprise

So, the best thing to do in this case will be to report this issue to Dell directly so they can replicate it on their labs using the exact same hardware and firmware

Regards

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

Alberto,

Thank you for the update.

Could you please tell me in the lab tested with a similar model computer with the 520 graphics, was an EPort dock used and was the Windows 10 version the Creators Update (1703 build 15063.332)? I don't have this issue with the previous version of Windows 10 (1607), and I don't have this issue with Windows 10 1703 if the monitor is plugged directly into the computer. Just when the EPort dock is used. I don't have a usb dock to test but I assume things would be fine there too.

Thanks

Randy
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RandyMC: You are welcome. Sure, let me gather that information and I as soon as I get it I will post the details on the thread.

Regards

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RandyMC: In regard to your question, I just gather the details of the lab we did and our lab consisted on Windows® 10 RS2 1703. The dock is a Dell E-Port Plus II (Model # PR02X). At this point to get in contact directly with Dell about this issue will be the next thing to do.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

Alberto,

Thanks for confirming the specs of the dock and the windows version. Much appreciated.

Randy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RandyMC: You are very welcome.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
DFord3
Beginner

The totally black screen after installing Windows 10 Creator's Update isn't limited to Dell's machines. I have a PowerSpec B634 desktop from MicroCenter with an onboard "Video = Intel® HD Graphics 2500" & "System Board = H61H2-CM" that's doing the same thing. After the Creators Update installed we had a totally black screen with no option but to hold the start button to force it to powerdown. Restarting would sometimes bring up options to restore it back to an earlier condition. That never worked and I had to restore Windows 10 and lost all of the software I'd installed and had been using. After I got it fully patched up again, I tried the Creators Update again and got the same result but luckily this time it was able to repair itself by reverting back to the previous version of Windows. This must be a problem with the Intel hardware or drivers and Microsoft's Creators Update.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
LHosc
Beginner

Hello,

I think this issue is related to a specific Windows update KB4022716 (for Windows 10 Creators Update 1703).

I'm facing exactly the same problem with our HP laptops at work (HP EliteBook 850 G3 with Intel HD Graphics 520).

For us, the built-in display will go black with the mouse pointer flashing in this situation:

Dual display in "Extend Desktop" mode (external monitor directly connected to the laptop thru DisplayPort)

+ The issue happens when resuming from screen "turned of after xx minutes" (power options). It display the black screen + blinking mouse cursor instead of the Windows login screen.

The issue doesn't occur when using only screen.

The only workarounds I've found so far:

press the key combination Windows Key + Shift + Ctrl + B (this restarts the graphics driver)

or

unplug/plug the DisplayPort cable

All the drivers and BIOS are up to date. The Intel HD Graphics 520 driver (21.20.16.4550) is provided (and customized?) by HP.

This Windows update (KB4022716) was supposed to fix an issue with NVIDIA drivers that stop working (Error 0x9f) when the system goes to sleep.

Only one of my colleagues doesn't meet this issue: I noticed its computer hasn't downloaded/installed this update yet...

I've also read that some users reported the same issue with other laptop brands (Lenovo...) using the Intel HD Graphics 520 device.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb4022716-black-screen-with-flickering-cursor/40c7a033-cca2-4d04-8f89-0633b3fd5b30 KB4022716 black screen with flickering cursor after unlocking - Microsoft Community

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/screen-off-on-issue-in-windows-10-after-update-KB4022716/td-p/3720603 screen off/on issue in windows 10 after update KB4022716 - Lenovo Community

Who will do the fix? Microsoft? Intel? The brand building our laptops (HP, Lenovo, Dell...)?

0 Kudos