Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 520 - screen goes black when undocked

RHoff2
Beginner

We have a number of Dell E5470s which have Intel HD Graphics 520 chips. Since upgrading the computers to Windows 10 version 1703, when the computers are undocked (E Port replicator), 99% of the time the built-in display will go entirely black or, black with the mouse pointer flashing. The computer will remain in that state until the computer is re-docked. Once re-docked the computer display will work as expected. I have tried a number of video drivers including the latest that I found...21.20.16.4664.

I would appreciate suggestions you might have to help resolve this issue.

Thanks

Randy

Message was edited by: Randy Hoffman

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

Moonwink, lorcan1980: Thank you very much for providing the information above.

Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us to further assist you to try to fix the specific problem the computer might have, please submit a new thread:

/community/tech https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
RHoff2
Beginner

For what it's worth. I may have found a solution for my E5470 graphics issue with Windows 10 ver 1703 where the screen goes blank when undock.

Not sure what all is necessary but these were the versions on my test machines and the steps that worked for me.

Driver Versions

Computer Bios ver 1.15.4

Synaptics VMM3320 MST HUB Firmware ver 3.12.1

Intel's HD Graphics 520 driver ver 15.46.02.4729 (E5470 displays as 22.20.16.4729 with a driver date of 7/5/17)

Steps in Updating the Driver

1. I needed to download the zipped version of the driver from Intel and then I extract its contents.
  2. Next, I updated the driver via Windows Device Manager; just running the setup.exe that was part of the zipped drivers would result in an error saying, "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer."
  3. I still had a few issues after updating the driver via the Device Manager (the computer seemed to lag in the detecting external display etc.). So I then ran the setup.exe; since the driver was now updated to the Intel driver, setup.exe did not fuss about not being validated for this computer.
  4. When setup.exe was completed, I rebooted.

Randy

0 Kudos
DFord3
Beginner

I'm going to fix mine by bypassing the onboard Intel video hardware and buy a Nvidia card to fit the only slot available. Intel isn't the only mfg of video hardware. Why Intel hasn't stepped up to fix this issue is beyond forgiving. I'll make sure in the future to avoid any PC with onboard Intel video.

Problem solved.

0 Kudos