Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 goes black on desktop

GTars
Beginner

Dear community,

I have been trying to solve this problem for the last few days, and I'm trying to do it without reinstalling Windows, although that was my initial thought, lot of feedback suggest that doesn't work in itself.

The description of the problem:

I've been using my desktop PC just fine until Saturday afternoon. On Sunday evening, as I turned it on, after the Windows logo, for a half second, something like static on an old TV appeared, than fade to black.

I rebooted to safe mode, un-installed the driver, disconnected from the internet, and installed the graphic driver from ASUS website (my motherboard is ASUS H110-Plus with integrated graphics), which, as I found out, is an older version of the generic Intel driver on the first glance. After installing the driver, screen goes black again. I booted back to safe mode, disabled the display adapter in device manager, and forced a Windows Update. Restart again, enable the display adapter, goes to black. I than downloaded and installed the latest driver from Intel homepage, same result, screen goes black. If I have the display adapter disabled, I can use Windows on any resolution, but as soon as I enable the graphic driver in the Device Manager, everything is back to black.

My system info:

desktop PC with an ASUS H110-Plus motherboard, integrated Intel HD Graphics 530, no additional VGA card.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600

RAM: 8 GB

Graphic driver: currently 24.20.100.6229 (tried a few other versions, neither of them have worked)

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't know if it applies to your case, but check out the finding that this user had: .

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
GTars
Beginner

thank you for the recommendation, but changing the power settings as described in the other thread (after uninstalling & installing the driver in safe mode) haven't solved the problem.

I am seeing though in the Windows Update history, that on the day my monitor turned dark, there was a successful installation of "Intel Corporation - Graphics adapter WDDM1.1 [...]", that I don't see any previous installation of. It is possible though, that this entry only signifies my first attempt to reinstall the driver after getting the black screen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TarsolyGer,

Thank you for joining the Intel Communities.

What type of video cable are you using between the computer and the display?

I see your ASUS* H110-Plus motherboard comes with VGA and DVI-D, have you tried different video port and/or video cable?

I would like you to try a clean installation of the video driver. Sometimes the operating system stores different versions of the graphics driver, and if you uninstall one Windows* will automatically load another version.

Please download the graphics driver that is on this link, but do not install it yet https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27894/a08/win64_24.20.100.6229.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27894/a08/win64_24.20.100.6229.zip

Once the graphics driver has been downloaded follow the next steps:

1. Disconnect the computer from the Internet.
  2. Right click on Start button, and then click on Device Manager.
  3. Double click on Display Adapters -> Intel® HD Graphics 530 -> Driver tab, and select Uninstall -> Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Go back to Device Manager -> Display Adapters, and check if the operating system reinstalled a graphics driver. If Windows reinstalled another graphics driver go back to Step 3 until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  6. Reinstall the graphics driver using the steps that are on this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html
  7. Enable Internet connection.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
JWats4
Beginner

This is really a great information which you are actually mentioned in this article it's also very good news for computer games also, I am trying to find this information on https://technicaladviser.sitey.me/ Kaspersky Support but there didn't mention any topic properly. can I buy these graphics card from online?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jhon1211,

What happens is that the Intel graphics controllers are inside of the CPU so it cannot be purchased separately.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
GTars
Beginner

Hello!

My monitor is connected through the DVI-D port, and it has a VGA input, but that cable was not included in the package, so currently I don't have one (and regarding that the DVI-D port works when the Display Adapter\Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 is disabled in the device manager, I don't think it is the issue).

Thank you for the suggestions, I have followed your instructions to remove the driver while disconnected from the Internet, then I installed the driver from device manager (when I tried it before I always did it using the .exe file in the installer package).

During the installation process (step 10 on the linked tutorial), my screen suddenly went black again, while the HDD indicator was still flashing, suggesting that the installation is still in progress. I have waited for the installation to finish based upon the HDD indicator and a little more, (about 10 minutes) than pressed the power button on my PC which shut down windows properly. I have noted that during the process, my monitor power indicator was constantly on, as in, there was signal from the computer, but it was total darkness, and when the PC turned off, the monitor went to power saving mode, as the indicator was flashing accordingly.

I will try to reinstall my Windows today, and see what happens then.

Considering, that when the problem first arise, I could see kind of a static noise on my monitor for maybe less, than half a second, is there any chance that there is a hardware malfunction? In other people's cases I haven't seen this symptom listed.

Thank you again for all the effort in trying to help me, I really appreciate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TarsolyGer,

If you reinstall the operating system please install the graphics driver ASUS* has validated for your motherboard. You may download it from this link https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/07VGA/VGA_RS3_4849_20171221.zip https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/07VGA/VGA_RS3_4849_20171221.zip

Are you using DVI-D single-link cable? Our graphics controllers require a DVI single-link cable. Dual-link DVI cables are not supported.

Let me also know the model number of the display you are using.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
GTars
Beginner

Hello, Fred.

I have reinstalled the operating system, and used the graphic driver supplied by ASUS. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

I don't know about the the DVI-D cable specifications, but it has been working for for the last 2 years with the same computer + display setup, and I can still use my PC if I disable the Intel Graphics, even in full HD resolution.

I will however try to get a hold of a VGA cable from my workplace for test purposes.

My display is a Samsung S24D300 display.

I have been trying multiple fixes for this issue for the last week now, and all I have is a computer where I can't use the advantages of the graphic chipset, but now I even mowed down all my applications so I'll have to spend even more hours reinstalling and re-customizing my programs .

Is there any way to diagnose if it is a hardware malfunction or not?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TarsolyGer,

Thanks for the additional information you sent to me.

The only way we can find out if this is hardware related issue would be testing different cable and display. In case you have any other display available you can connect through DVI cable please give it a try.

Have you tried contacting ASUS* in order to check if there is any other troubleshooting step you can try?

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
GTars
Beginner

I managed to borrow a VGA cable and used that to connect my display to the PC, and now it works.

I have no idea what can be the reason for that (DVI cable works in Safe Mode, and with the Generic Microsoft Display Adapter), but it seems to be the solution I have to go for.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TarsolyGer,

In case you would like to perform additional troubleshooting steps you may try either different DVI cable or different monitor with DVI port. This is to find out if the issue is the motherboard , the cable or the monitor.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos