Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 5500 - How do I connect to both my TV and monitor?

gagadelreyy
Beginner

Hi everyone! Currently at a lost as to how I should go about doing this. I'm aiming to have a dual monitor setup with my laptop connected to both an external monitor and TV.

I have tried using a USB port with both VGA and HDMI, but later read somewhere in this forum that using a USB will not work. I have also tried using a HDMI splitter but then again, it's a splitter and only works one at a time. 

My laptop is a rather old one, so I have USB ports, 1 HDMI port and 1 USB-C port. Should I then try a USB-C hub?

Thanks so much in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

gagadelreyy, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

What is the specific model of the monitor and TV?

Was it working fine before with both of those displays connected to it?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
gagadelreyy
Beginner

Hi Albert! Here are the answers to your questions - 

What is the model of the laptop?

Laptop model: Dell Latitude E7450

What is the specific model of the monitor and TV?

Monitor model: Lenovo ThinkVision T2054pC

TV model: Sharp Aquos 32-inch HD Ready TV 2T-C32BG1X

Was it working fine before with both of those displays connected to it?

I have yet to successfully connect both displays simultaneously, but both the TV and monitor work perfectly fine when connected individually to my laptop

When did the issue start?

Not really an issue since I've never tried connecting both monitors at the same time before, and now that I've recently purchased a new monitor I am not sure how to go about doing so and haven't been successful at it...

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Nope!

Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Home

Please attach the SSU report...

Apologies... I'm unable to do so as this is my work laptop that requires administrative access which I do not have. Let me know if there are other ways I can provide this information, perhaps a system information screenshot?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi gagadelreyy, No problem at all, thank you very much for providing that information.

While both monitors attached to the computer, if you open the Intel® Graphics Control Panel / Intel® Graphics Command Center or the Windows* display settings, do you see both monitors being recognized in there?

Do you know the model of the Intel® Processor in the laptop?

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on Dell's website and the graphics driver version they have available is version 20.19.15.5126, A11, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below and then test the monitors:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=3pv49&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-e7450-ultrabook

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

If the problem persists, then we can try a clean installation this time of Intel® generic graphics driver version 15.40.48.5171:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30196/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- 

We also recommend to get in contact directly with Dell to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed or to gather the instructions on how to install it:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello gagadelreyy, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello gagadelreyy, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos