Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 630 Not Displaying 60HZ at 4K

dannywg
Beginner

I can't get Windows 10 to display greater than 30HZ on LG 32UN880 4K display with (built-in) Intel HD Graphics 630.

Things I have tried:

updated Intel driver, installed LG .INFO

I am hesitant upgrading the BIOS. I have another Windows 10 tower with discreet video controller GeForce GTX 1050TI hooked up to display on HDMI2 @ 60HZ. Re-routed HDMI on tower with onboard Intel HD Graphics 630 unfortunately 30HZ still max. Intel's spec on HD Graphics 630 it can drive 4K display @60HZ.

Any suggestions or is my only option a video card?

SPECS:

Gigabyte Z270P-D3
BIOS F6
BIOS Date 7/6/2017
Motherboard Z270P-D3
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit)

Processor Intel i7-7700K

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 630

Memory 16 GB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In these processor generations, there is support for three display channels and each channel can support the DisplayPort 1.2 protocol, which CAN support 4K@60Hz, or the HDMI 1.4 protocol, which can only support 4K@30Hz. Good motherboards will provide,

1. A LSPcon IC that converts one of the processor's DisplayPort 1.2 channels into a HDMI 2.0 channel, thereby delivering 4K@60Hz over the HDMI port.
  2. A USB-C port that supports DisplayPort Alt Mode, which allows this USB-C port to (also) expose one of the DisplayPort 1.2 channels.

(The really good motherboards provide both of these capabilities)

I have scanned the available documentation for your motherboard and, unfortunately, it appears that yours doesn't provide either of these capabilities. This means that you are going to be limited to 4K@30Hz. Only through the addition of an add-on graphics card are you going to be able to do any better.

Sorry,

...S

dannywg
Beginner

Thanks Scott,

You saved me the trouble of troubleshooting this issue. I don't think there are any reliable HDMI to DisplayPort/USB-C adapters? Many cables that will do the reverse -which I have several 😞

Guess I have to start looking at that elusive graphics card -doubled in price since I last bought one.

Regards,

Danny

0 Kudos