Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel® HD Graphics 630 driver - black or blue screen

Alexandr
Beginner

Hello! I have 3 years from the date of purchase of Intel® Core ™ i5-7400 Processor. Constant problems after installing the official driver for Intel® HD Graphics 630 - the screen turns black, the computer restarts to the desktop, then immediately freezes. Windows 10 works ONLY with the standard driver from Windows 10. But the system keeps finding the Intel® HD Graphics 630 driver
and installs it. I always install the most recent official drivers. 

I also want to additionally say that the screen resolution with a standard driver from Windows is not at all suitable for my 24 inch monitor

I am very sorry that I spent money on this processor and three years of my nerves and my wife's nerves.

If you have the opportunity, please help. I no longer have the strength to endure this awful work

MB: MSI B250M PRO-VDH (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B250M-PRO-VDH/Specification)

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Alexandr

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Our support is only provided in English. We may not be able to translate screenshots attached to the thread. 

Just to make sure, when you mentioned that you have issues after installing the official driver for Intel® HD Graphics 630, do you mean the Intel® generic driver? If the answer is yes, we would like to recommend you testing with the customized driver from your motherboard manufacturer:

If the system is currently running any other driver than the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" please follow the steps for Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows® 10:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

However, instead of downloading the driver from Intel® Download Center (step 3), please use the graphics driver from MSI*, version 23.20.16.4877:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-PRO-VDH#down-driver

We also recommend checking with MSI* support if updating the BIOS may help to alleviate this behavior (for instance, improving system stability/compatibility with graphics drivers). Based on the reports, it seems there are 5 newer BIOS available for your system:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-PRO-VDH#down-bios

If the issue persists, please kindly provide the following details:

1- When did the issue start? Was there any Windows update or software/hardware change when the behavior occurred?

2- How are you connecting the monitor/display and the cable types? Are you using a straight-through connection with a single cable or any kind of adapters?

3- Please provide an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

4- What are the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error codes or error messages?

Note:

1. To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.
  2. The behavior with the limited resolution with the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" as this basic driver does not enable all the features and capabilities of the integrated graphics processor.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Alexandr
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

I've been taking drivers for three years here: https://www.intel.ru/content/www/ru/ru/support/products/98909/graphics/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd- graphics-630.html

From this place I tried everything in three years: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-PRO-VDH#down-driver.

I'll try to update the BIOS when I find the UPS, while it's not there - I'm afraid.

Below I attach a report from the Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool.

0 Kudos
Alexandr
Beginner

1) The problem occurs when I manually install the driver from here https://www.intel.ru/content/www/ru/en/support/products/98909/graphics/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors/intel -hd-graphics-630. html or from here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B250M-PRO-VDH#down-driver. Or when Windows 10, during the update process, installs the driver for Intel® HD Graphics 630 in parallel

2) I connect two monitors in turn. One CRT monitor via VGA cable. I connect the second modern monitor using HDMI.

3) Test appended above

4) I apply a blue screen

0 Kudos
Alexandr
Beginner

I installed the graphics driver from MSI *, version 23.20.16.4877 and as a result the computer freezes as always. Then it rebooted many times. Gave out a blue screen (supplied). On the last screen, I managed to read the code: Kmode Exception Not Handled

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Alexandr

Thank you for your response and all the details provided.

We noticed that the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test is passed and you are still getting different BSOD errors and unfortunately, none of them lead to a possible specific "root cause of the problem" (documentation in general mentions "driver problems, file system problems, hardware problems: memory RAM, Processor, SSD/HDD, adapters, etc...).

By any chance have you run a test to Memory RAM using, for instance, Windows Memory Diagnostic? It could be an option to try since the processor including his integrated graphics uses the Memory RAM. Have you tested also minimal configuration/minimal components? We just want to make sure we properly discard other sources of the possible issue, even if they are not common.

Also, are you able to test by performing a clean and fresh install of Windows 10 so you can test the drivers on a new clean instance of Windows? Please let us know if you are able to try it and the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Alexandr
Beginner

Tell me how and with what to test the minimum configuration / minimum components?

I'll try, do a clean and fresh install of Windows 10.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Alexandr

Thank you for your response,

By minimal configuration, we mean for instance, testing only with the motherboard, processor, 1 stick of memory RAM (later you can swap with the other memory stick), only boot drive, only 1 display (later you can swap display/video ports), wired mouse and keyboard. While running on minimal configuration, you can monitor the system and try to install the driver to see if the issue persists.

Please feel free to share the outcome of the steps, as well please let us know if you were able to peform the clean and fresh install of Windows.

If the issue persists, we recommend checking this further with the place of purchase so this might require a hardware inspection of the computer components (e.g. processor, motherboard, RAM).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Alexandr

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to try thet clean install of the operating system or to check with your place of purchase. Please feel free to share any feedback about the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Alexandr
Beginner

I will describe the problem in more detail.
1) install Windows 10 (home)
2) install all the official drivers (all except the video card built into the Intel® Core ™ i5-7400 processor - Intel® HD Graphics 630)
3) everything works, but the image on the screen of a 24-inch monitor is in low resolution. Everything looks very large. It is impossible to use.
4) install the official driver from the integrated video card - Intel® HD Graphics 630
5) After installation, the image on the monitor becomes in good quality and in normal resolution
6) In this case, the computer works for several seconds, then the image on the monitor blinks in black. And the computer restarts. But Windows no longer boots, but permanent blue screens with errors (code: VIDEO TDR FAILURE (igdkmd64.sys)) or just a black screen.
7) i go to safe mode, uninstall Intel® HD Graphics 630
😎 the computer boots up normally. But the image on the screen is again in low resolution. Everything looks very large again.

0 Kudos
Alexandr
Beginner

Tell me how and with what to test the  components?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Alexandr

Thank you for your response.

The tests we were referring to are the ones in our previous post from September 16th meaning to remove all non-necessary components from the system and using only motherobard, power supply, processor, 1 display, only the boot drive, and only 1 stick of memory RAM at the time, wired mouse and keyboard and then install the graphics driver to see if the issue persists. Then try different RAM sticks and different RAM slots.

You can also try a Windows® Memory Diagnostic. As an example, here are some steps from a third-party website*:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-memory-diagnostics-tool-in-windows-7

However, at this point, since this issue seems to be related to hardware problems, our best recommendation is to go to the place of purchase so they can assist you with a physical inspection of the components and to determine if a replacement is required.

Note:

The behavior with the limited or low resolution with the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is exptected as this basic driver does not enable all the features and capabilities of the integrated graphics processor. You may try to adjust it from Windows® Settings >> System >> Display, but we want to make clear that it is expected behavior.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't think much of the Microsoft memory test. A better choice is MemTest86+ (freeware). You can download the ISO, install it onto a USB flash disk and then boot from this USB flash disk to run the memory diagnostic. I usually let it run for 24 hours. I have caught bad DIMMs, DIMMs with bad memory, etc. this way.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Alexandr

We are checking this thread and we have not heard back from you. If the issue persists, our final recommendation is to go to the place of purchase so they may assist you with a physical inspection of the components. We will proceed to close this thread now but if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Alexandr
Beginner

I did not understand what the help was, I have been receiving similar recommendations for 3 years.

I did everything with the components, tested the memory. The result is the same.

I don’t understand why your site doesn’t include my motherboard in the compatible hardware. And why is there no B250 chipset support? Why can't a normal driver be made?

I paid a lot of money for a computer with an Intel processor. If I knew that there would be such problems, I would never have bought this. Before that, I always worked with AMD.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Don't read so much into what is and isn't on the list of compatible devices. More often that not, items are missing simply because Intel did not have a sample to test with. Fact is, there are tens of thousands of  motherboards, drives, DIMMs/SODIMMs, etc. being produced and Intel cannot keep track of them. If the manufacturer is not providing Intel with samples, then they don't get tested and they don't appear on the compatibility lists. If you want to see your motherboard tested, then you need to be telling your motherboard manufacturer to provide samples to Intel.

Of course there is B250 chipset support (not that that has anything to do with your graphics issues). I have no idea what you mean by 'why can't a normal driver be made?'.

...S

0 Kudos