Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics Lags on High-Resolution Displays (Not Powerful Enough to Handle High-Resolution Displays.)

AAhma23
Novice

Hey there.

I own an ASUS ZenBook UX510UW (which features a 4K display) running Windows 10 version 1903, build 18362.175.

Since the first day I bought this device, which was about 2 years ago, I've been struggling with a problem that I call:

Laggy and sluggish visual interface:

Description & details: Visual animations, such as minimizing/maximizing windows, toggling the task view, scrolling in the browsers and other applications, sometimes typing, etc. have noticeable lags and feel sluggish.

Important: All of my drivers are up-to-date. I checked with multiple applications including "Intel Driver & Support Assistant"; so, please don't just say: Update your drivers!

However, the most important point is: When I change the resolution from 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) to Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), the problem completely disappears, everything feels as smooth as it should be.

And I'm not alone. Many many users on different devices and even different operating systems (i.e Windows and MacOS) have reported this issue. Some of them are:

In Windows:

Intel HD Graphics 530 lags in 4K on Zenbook Pro UX501VW

Slow UI animation performance.

Terribly Laggy Animations and User Interface in Windows 10 in High-Resolution Screens

Surface Book 2 Task View Lag (and other high-resolution laptops included)

4k laptop lag in Windows 10 UI animations

Laggy animations and effects at 4K resolution (running Windows 10)

Windows 10 Animation lags

Windows animations become choppy over time in Creators Update

Window Surface Book 2 Choppy Window Animation and Jitter Surface Pen's Experiences

etc.

In Mac OS:

Mission Control laggy

Why is Sierra's UI animations so jittery and laggy?

MacBook Pro 2017 '15 UI Laggy Animations

Extreme UI Lag MacBook Pro 2017 15" 10.13.6

I've gathered a few tips and notes that I think are worth mentioning:

1. The problem is more noticeable in the apps that have been built with the Electron.js framework: (Like VS Code, WhatsApp Desktop, etc.). For instance, here is an issue that was posted in 2016 in the GitHub repository of VS Code about the exact same problem: Poor performance on large resolution)
  2. The problem is often less noticeable in UWP apps (Windows-related): I personally experience a smoother visual interface in UWP (Universal Windows Platform) applications.
  3. The problem is less noticeable when the Windows 10 transparency effect is disabled: I've seen many people saying so, and I'd personally confirm it as well.

I've been doing research and reading people's experiences about this problem for about 2 years, and finally, I came to the conclusion that this problem comes down to the fact that Intel Integrated Graphics (probably) do not have enough power to handle visual interfaces and especially animations smoothly in high-resolution displays. These are some of the reasons why I think so:

1. The problem is not OS-dependent: As I mentioned earlier, people on different devices, including Windows machines and Mac computers have experienced this problem. (I also provided some links that you can check out.)
  2. The problem disappears when the resolution is decreased: As I (and many other people) mentioned, the problem is completely gone when the resolution is decreased.
  3. The problem gets fixed when changing the display graphics processor to the dedicated GPU: My laptop doesn't have the option to change the display GPU, and so I've never experienced this personally, however, I've seen a few cases where people reported that their problem was fixed due to changing their default display GPU from Intel HD Graphics to their dedicated GPU.
  4. The problem doesn't exist in the devices that do not have Intel Integrated GPU: This one is a big one! As far as I know, this problem only exists in laptop computers, and laptop computers, as we all know, often haveon-board Intel graphics processors. I've personally never seen a case where the person reporting this issue owns a desktop computer. (desktop computers often have dedicated GPUs)
  5. The problem has never been fixed by multiple OS updates over time: This problem is reported to Microsoft and Apple multiple times, but their OS updates didn't make any difference, I personally don't feel any difference from 2 years ago when I purchased my device, and first experienced this issue.

Any further update or help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

The problem is the switching between the integrated and discrete graphics, which is why you need to use the drivers provided by ASUS for both Intel and nvidia graphics.

Also, ASUS is solely responsible for support of your laptop, not Intel.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The problem is the switching between the integrated and discrete graphics, which is why you need to use the drivers provided by ASUS for both Intel and nvidia graphics.

Also, ASUS is solely responsible for support of your laptop, not Intel.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

No, the problem is absolutely not switching between the integrated and discrete graphics. Because that was actually a trick that a few people used, not a proper solution.

Because the Intel Integrated GPU must be able to handle simple UIs smoothly enough, because it's what it's meant to do, so it is its problem if it doesn't.

Dedicated GPUs are meant to be used for heavy graphical renderings, not just routine stuff like typing, scrolling, minimizing/maximizing windows, etc. This is the job of Intel Integrated GPU, this is what it was built for.

Therefore, there is something wrong with it if it can't handle simple animations, etc. which is why I posted this question.

Please read the entire question precisely and don't just try to say something that's totally irrelevant.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

ASUS is solely responsible for support of your laptop, not Intel. If you have a problem with the laptop, tell ASUS. Asus will then work with Intel, if necessary, for a solution.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

The problem is not about my specific device. Please read the question again.

I provided many link in which many people reported the same problem with different devices: Dell XPS, Surface Book 2, etc.

I mentioned that every laptop with a high-resolution display (more than FHD) has this problem, and they all happen to have Intel Integrated GPUs.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Read my answer again: ASUS is solely responsible for support of your laptop, not Intel. If you have a problem with the laptop, tell ASUS. Asus will then work with Intel, if necessary, for a solution.

I put it in BOLD to make it easier to find.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

It seems you can't understand a simple thing. I put what I'm trying to say in bold as well: The problem that I have, is not about my specific case with my laptop. THE PROBLEM IS UNIVERSAL AND IT'S ABOUT INTEL INTEGRATED GPUs, and many people have this problem with other devices from other brands as well, it's not related to ASUS.

Please don't respond to this question again, because I don't think you can help.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You cannot speak for others. As for you, contact ASUS.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

Check out the links that I provided, then you might understand that I'm not speaking for other, others have spoken for themselves, I just gathered the links and tried to inform Intel.

I'm struggling with this issue for more than 2 years, and I've searched about it a lot, I posted several issues and question on many different forums and this is the information I provided.

So, please don't try to correct me.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I do not need to check the other links. I am telling you that ASUS is responsible for support of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

The sentence is very simple: The problem is not about my laptop.

Done.

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

There is another question posted on this forum about the exact same subject, which has more than 1500 views.

Intel HD Graphics 530 lags in 4K on Zenbook Pro UX501VW

What is interesting though, is that nobody said anything like "contact ASUS" or "It's not related to Intel" or whatever, there.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The answer is very simple: Contact asus for support of your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

Can you understand that the problem is not about my laptop?

I'm not going to waste my time and energy anymore for someone like who doesn't understand a simple thing.

Please don't respond to this question again, you said what you wanted to say and you're done.

Thank you, and I don't need your help.

I'm waiting for Intel to respond.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You can only ask for support for your laptop, which Intel does not provide. You must contact Asus.

Glad I could help.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Good,, then read the last line of the last response: "That said, probably some Facebook / twitter complaints on Asus website would help, i am going to report the situation so other users are warned."

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

Yeah, because that question is a report of a specific product as the title implies, and they thought that this problem only exists in that laptop.

But my question is not about a specific product, it's a report for something that I think is universal, and is about Intel, not ASUS not HP, not Dell, not any other brand or manufacturer.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You purchased your laptop from asus. Asus designed and made the hardware using various components, some of which are intel. Part of your payment for this asus laptop included support and warranty from asus. All of your support needs to come from asus. If asus finds a problem related to an intel component, asus will work with Intel. You do not work with Intel for a laptop you purchased from asus. You waited two years before trying to resolve this problem? What is your hurry now?

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

Thank you for non-helpful answers.

Please just don't respond to this question anymore.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you need any more help on how to contact asus support, let me know.

Doc

0 Kudos
AAhma23
Novice

I'm sorry, isn't there anybody in charge who could help us?

0 Kudos