Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics driver causes laptop to freeze up constantly.

ddswanson31
Beginner

I have an HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2 that has been constantly freezing up to the point where the cursor no longer moves and I have to do a hard shut down by holding the power button in. I've isolated the issue to the graphics driver for the Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated gpu it has in it.

The laptop works fine when I uninstall the driver and just use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and doesn't freeze up at all. Shortly after I install the graphics driver from HP (I've tried several from various years to see if it was a recent bug to no avail) or directly from Intel it starts freezing the moment it does anything that uses the gpu beyond idling. After this happens I have to do a hard shut down and uninstall the driver through Device Manager as quickly as possible in order to get a functioning machine back.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't really want to have to get rid of this machine as it's still great for a daily driver and I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it knowing there is this problem.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
ddswanson31
Beginner

Hello Al, I have attached the log file to this post as requested as well as the original post.

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

This may be where you need to focus, you wrote:

I install the graphics driver from HP (I've tried several from various years to see if it was a recent bug to no avail) or directly from Intel it starts freezing

A driver issue won't be like that... If this was a driver problem, installing an old one should make the system work as it did before.

Try the latest driver from Intel

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

If doesn't help, your problem could be a "windows issue", RAM issue (gpu uses RAM from the system, so check RAM as well), or a hardware issue

How did you install windows 11? did you get the upgrade offer in windows updates?

I don't see i7-7600U in the CPU support list... did you force the installation?

0 Kudos
ddswanson31
Beginner

I thought that initially as well. However I've exhausted basically every option that it might be. It does the same thing on fresh installs of Windows only after I install the Intel graphics driver. If I just leave it as the MS basic display adapter it doesn't freeze at all. The only thing I can think of with it persisting through numerous driver versions is that it's an old bug. If it was never fixed then it would persist through updated versions and no amount of switching drivers would fix it. I've also installed the latest drivers directly from Intel as well and still no dice.

I've successfully tested the RAM via Memtest86 several times and it never throws any errors so it's not the RAM.

I can't see it being a hardware issue either because if it was then it would still have issues whether the driver was installed or not and that isn't the case.

I also know it's not an issue with it being on Windows 11, despite the CPU not being supported, as it has done the same thing on Windows 10 and Ubuntu, again it only does this after the graphics driver is installed. So being on Windows 11 is irrelevant.

I've googled around and it looks like it's a common issue that the Intel Graphics Driver causes freezing on the HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2 and has been resolved by switching versions of the driver, unfortunately they never specify which version they switch to. This is why I decided to make an account here and see what assistance I can get.

You can see the other posts with people having issues below if you want proof but this is not an isolated issue to my machine:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/EliteBook-x360-1030-G2-Extreme-Mouse-Lag-PC-Freezes/td-p/6400099

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2197217-hp-elitebook-x360-1030-g2-issues

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/HP-Spectre-15-BL012DX-Completely-Freezes-Momentarily/m-p/6201824#M116719

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hewlett_Packard/comments/7ct2sr/hp_spectre_13_x360_8550u_freezingthrottling/

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @ddswanson31

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the information in this article Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products, Intel® HD Graphics 620 is not currently supported on Windows® 11.

Also, checking HP's website for your computer model (HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2, System SKU: "2QU26UT"), we couldn't find any reference to "Windows 11 support" or drivers available for Windows 11.

Having said that, this actually looks more like a hardware or operating system (OS) issue than a driver issue. Please keep in mind that an "old bug" like this one won't persist for so long time and through many driver versions unless it is an issue tied to a very specific system model/SKU that would require a special fixed from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), which actually seems to be the case based on the links you shared.

Another thing that makes us think this is not a driver issue is that you said "it does the same thing on Ubuntu".

It is worth mentioning that there is no one official Linux Graphics driver version. Most Linux-based* distributions already include Intel® Graphics Drivers. These drivers are provided and maintained by the Linux* distribution vendors and not by Intel.

Because the issue also happens on Linux (which should be using the Linux graphics drivers) and on Windows® 10/11, this is pointing out that this doesn't seem to be a driver issue and could be a hardware issue. Please keep in mind that the Microsoft® Basic Display Adapter driver won't enable all the features supported by the GPU, thus, sometimes it may give the wrong "idea/feeling" that is working fine on this basic driver, and one might think "it shouldn't be a hardware issue", when the basic driver might be actually hiding the real problem because it is not enabling all the features.

In this scenario, the best thing to do is to contact HP* Support and report the issue directly to them so they may assist you with further support. For instance, they may provide you with a specific fix/driver/firmware/BIOS that may help with the problem, or they may help to confirm if the system is supported under Windows 11 and if they have a customized graphics driver for your system validated for Windows® 11, and/or they may assist you with additional debugging or a physical inspection of the system in case it is required.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ddswanson31

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos