Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD graphics (Celeron N5095A) and 3840x1600@75 resolution

Alex___B
Beginner
Hello, I can't make my mini PC work with my LG 38' monitor with native resolution. The funny thing is that the PC is able to produce 3840x2160@60 on the same monitor (so its HDMI2, not HDMI1.4) but only able to do 3840x1600@30. I tried almost anything, installed latest drivers etc. The issue persists across different operation systems - win 10, win 11, ubuntu linux. It looks like hardware/driver limitation (my older Celeron J4115 works perfectly with the monitor). What else can be done?
0 Kudos
21 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

How odd. What Mini PC are we talking about? Do they provide a block diagram of how it is implemented? What version of the Intel HD Graphics driver do you have installed? Have you tried using the Intel Graphics Command Center to create a configuration for 60Hz? Can you dump the configurations supported by the EDID?

...S

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner

The PC in question is Beelink MINI S Beelink Office Mini PC MINIS Intel Celeron N5095 (bee-link.net), and the monitor is LG 38GN950B.

They don't provide any technical information about the implementation. Intel Graphics control center detects the native resolution but won't give you an option to select 75hz mode - see the screenshots attached.

About adding custom mode: can't do that in win 11, it complains that the mode already exists (can specify resolution only, w/o refresh rate). in win 10 I am able to add a new mode, but can't specify the correct refresh rate too.

Also tried to play with CRU, no luck yet.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you installed the monitor's definition file from LG (38GN950.zip)?

...S

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Alex___B, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if you were able to install the monitor's definition file from LG (38GN950.zip), as recommneded by N. Scott Pearson, and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner

Hi Albert,

I have installed it, it didn't help.

I can confirm this PC is the only device that can't work with the native resolution:

List of devices/CPUs that work perfectly with 3840x1600@75 resolution:

Intel Core i5-8250U

Intel J4115

NVidia 3600TI

AMD built-in graphics in Steam Deck

The only device/cpu with issues is N5095A.

So I'm trying to figure out if it is a driver or hardware problem.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi Alex___B, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Just to confirm:

Were you able to ever use the 3840x1600@75 resolution on this specific machine before using the same exact parts?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the monitor to the computer?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

With the monitor connected, please run and attach the Intel® graphics report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner

Hi Albert,

please find my answers inline

Just to confirm:

Were you able to ever use the 3840x1600@75 resolution on this specific machine before using the same exact parts?

If yes, when did the issue start?

no

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?
no, just bought it

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the monitor to the computer?
no adapters, direct hdmi connection

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

home

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

attached

With the monitor connected, please run and attach the Intel® graphics report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

attached

Any questions, please let me know.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

According to the SSU report, you should be able to manually choose the 60Hz refresh rate. Click on Start, Settings, System, Display and then Advanced Display Settings. Use the Refresh Rate selection box to choose the higher setting.

Now, according to the GFX report, the refresh rates for this native resolution that are supported in the EDID are 30Hz and 75 Hz. I find it odd that 60Hz is being identified as the maximum supported. This would indicate to me that there is a limitation, typically based upon measured supportable throughput rate, in the cabling. This is odd considering that 4K@60Hz worked. 

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner

There is only 30hz option, both in windows settings and Intel Command Center. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, this is moving beyond me then. Intel Customer Support (@Alberto_R_Intel) is going to have to take this back to the driver team...

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Alex___B, Thank you very much for providing that information and the reports.

Based on the details shown in the SSU document, we can confirm that currently, the graphics driver version installed in your computer is 31.0.101.2114, which is the latest driver version provided by Intel®:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

It is important to mention that the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, and they might or might not work as expected on your machine. For that reason, it is always recommended to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked at the link you shared previously, but I was not able to find the drivers provided by AZW in order to download them.

https://www.bee-link.net/products/minis-n5095

And this link seems to be broken:

https://www.bee-link.com/cms/support/index

So, just to confirm, did you test the graphics driver provided by AZW on your device? If it is possible, try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions on this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Or, if you cannot find their driver, as an alternative, we suggest to get in contact directly with AZW support, to make sure which is the graphics driver they recommended tested and validated for your system and also to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your equipment:

http://www.azw-online.com/

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results so, if necessary, we can further assist you with this scenario.

Thank you very much for your comments N. Scott Pearson.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Alex___B, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner
I contacted beelink, the driver they provided turned out to be an ancient version of unmodified intel driver, and it didn't help. I'll be waiting for further information from their size.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Alex___B, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Perfect, once you get the chance please let us know about any updates provided by Beelink on this matter. I will be doing a follow-up on this case in a couple of days.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Alex___B, I just wanted to check if you received any updates from Beelink and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner

Hi Albert,

No updates from Beelink so far. Another thing I noticed that the supported 3840x2160@60 resolution is only available in yuv422 color space. Both rgb and yuv444 aren't supported.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi Alex___B, Thank you very much for your response.

We are sorry to hear there are no updates from Beelink. In that case, we will do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner

Thank you Albert,

I guess I won't get anything meaningful from them. Here the latest email:

"Hello Alex, 

It is driver limitation. 
① The item Mini S can only work with 4K 60Hz, rather than 4K 75HZ.
② The color format can only be set to ycbr_420, not RGB or ycbr_444, otherwise, it won't support 4K 60HZ."

From which I must conclude that it is a hardware issue (or some cost-saving measurements), as all other intel devices I have work flawlessly. 

Looks like the repurposing the box as a small home server is a way to go.

Thank you,
Alex
0 Kudos
Alex___B
Beginner

Just noticed that they support only ycbr_420 for 4k@60 hz, it looks like they installed hdmi 1.4 ports after all...

0 Kudos