Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel HD graphics on Win 8.1 reduced to 1GB after update

rook
Novice

I have my PC with win 8.1(8GB RAM) running with Intel HD 4400 graphics. My system currently having 2GB of video Memory (from system information) with my current driver.  But when I update it to new version its get reduced into 1GB. Also with my current settings(2GB) the system freezing frequently with a long buzz sound while playing games. Is it a problem of graphic driver or sound driver?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello rook,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community forums.

• Is the issue with specific games? If so, please provide the names. 

To better assist you, please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
rook
Novice

I am currently facing problem with 'gameloop engine' for PUBG mobile and COD mobile,I am attaching the report generated with my old driver down here

0 Kudos
rook
Novice

I am currently facing problem with 'gameloop engine' for PUBG mobile and COD mobile,I am attaching the report generated with my old driver down here, Thanks

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello rook,

Thank you very much for the information provided.

Actually, the previous version you have installed (10.18.10.3379) is the one recommended for your system since is the latest version provided by Lenovo*. We highly recommend you to keep this version since the driver was customized to work on your specific system. The Intel* drivers are generic and may not work properly on a third-party system as your Laptop.

The workaround for the video memory and the sound issues would be to perfom a clean installation, and install back the Lenovo* driver, to use your system as it was before the update.

Please follow the below steps:

1. Download the latest driver and save it on the computer: 
  1. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  2. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel Programs and Features. 
  3. Restart the computer. 
  4. Confirm in Device Manager Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  5. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  6. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded on step 1.
  7. Restart the computer. 
  8. Reconnect to the Internet. 

The process of VRAM (Video Memory) allocation is dynamic. This means that if an application requires more VRAM, it can be allocated as long as it doesn't go over the amount defined here. For newer Intel Graphics Controllers, the maximum amount reflects a combination of the OS and the graphics driver. Some BIOS or UEFIs allow users to define another aspect of Graphics memory, often referred to as IGD Aperture Size. This setting or configurations have to be changed (if it is allowed) on BIOS. Each Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) handle their own BIOS configuration. My recommendation if the issue persists is to contact Lenovo™ to verify the VRAM configuration on your system.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
rook
Novice

Thanks for the reply. The sound and freezing problem is only on Windows 8.1 , Windows 7 works fine. Any other idea? And may I know what's the best config of Intel HD Graphics for gaming?

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello rook,

Thank you for your response.

Please, visit our website gameplay.intel.com, there you will find recommended settings for games according to your processor model.

According to the Lenovo* website, your laptop is compatible with Windows* 7,8,10, so the system should not be failing with the upgrade you made to the OS. For this specific problem, the best would be to check this with the Original Equipment Manufacturer or Microsoft* to verify that the upgrade was properly performed and that you are using the latest drivers for your system and also, discard a corrupted OS. On the other hand, if the audio and freezing issue is just with the game, make sure the game itself is up to date. Developers release patches with major performance impacts. Enable automatic updates to ensure you don’t miss one. Also, verify the game's minimum requirements. 

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello rook,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello rook,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos