Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel Iris Xe attempting to run Total War:Attila

crwdennis
Beginner

Hi,

I have just bought an ASUS Vivobook with i7-1165G7 processor, 16GB Ram, 512GB and an Iris XE graphics card.

I was disturbed to discover that this new laptop doesn't seem to be able to run even old games that my 10 year old laptop can run.   In particular I tried Total War:Attila, and after the video sequences I either get a black screen with sound and cursor but no visuals,  or the program crashes as soon as I try to do anything.  This is on the lowest possible graphics settings.  This is strange as my 10 year old laptop had no difficulties with the game even at medium settings.

Also, I tried Total War:Rome 2.   Now whilst this does actually run, it displays a warning saying low graphical memory, and puts all settings at a low level. This is quite an old game and a modern video card should have no difficulties with it. 

Is this something to do with these older Total War games being unfamiliar with integrated GPUs and wanting to see dedicated VRAM?

I am using Windows11, have all updates current as of today, including updating the drivers to the latest update.

thanks for any help.

Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Reps
Beginner

Hey there,

Follow this template when submitting graphics bugs https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/IMPORTANT-Template-for-submitting-a-Graphics-bug/td-p/284523

0 Kudos
Fabioccio
Beginner
Same problem here with Acer Swift laptop, Windows 10 pro 21H2 and latest Intel DCH drivers (beta and not)
FYI, Total War Shogun 2, which is older than Attila, runs fine, Napoleon too. The problem is mainly for Attila and maybe newer games then. I'll post here if I find a solution/workaround.
0 Kudos
adriano001
Beginner

hi,

i had the same problem, now its gone. try to use the latest driver for your Iris XE.  version: 27.20.100.9749

0 Kudos