Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel NUC i5-1240P NUC12WSKI5 - does it support 3440x1440@144Hz ultrawide display resolution?

Zag
Beginner

HI,

I would like to buy  Intel NUC i5-1240P NUC12WSKI5 however I have some doubts if it's able to display 3440x1440@144Hz  without issues? 

I'm using an ultrawide display everyday and I don't want to downgrade to lower refreshe rate on that specific resolution. 

I would be most thankful if someone could confirm that it's doable on that hardware and if there are no problems with that. 

BTW Do you have any experienc how does it perform on Linux? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, doing some ballpark math, I calculate that this NUC's HDMI ports can support a UWQHD monitor running at a maximum of 114Hz. Wikipedia roughly agrees, saying that the actual maximum is 112Hz. Regardless, knocking it down to the next standard level, this means that the maximum that the Intel drivers will offer should be 100Hz (but don't hold me to that; it might be 75Hz).

Now, if you use the capabilities of the DisplayPort channels that are offered via the two Thunderbolt 4 ports, which can support 8K@60Hz, and you have appropriately capable USB-C-to-HDMI or USB-C-to-DP adapters, then you should be able to achieve 144Hz.

...S

0 Kudos
Zag
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

This is exactly how I plan to connect it (USB-C-to-DP). I have a good quality cable and on an HP laptop with i5 11th gen it's able to output 3440x1440@144Hz so I just wanted to confirm that it's also possible on NUC12WSKI5. I assumed that it would work but it's better to ask before buying.

I'm also using an old PC with i5 4 gen CPU and Radeon RX560 which I would like to replace with that NUC and I hope it won't be a downgrade especially if it goes about the resolution and refresh rate. I don't play games at all. The only important thing is if there won't be any noticeable lags on normal desktop usage (YouTube, web etc) on  3440x1440@144Hz . This ultrawide resolution seems to be a bit specific but for me there is no way back. It increases productivity and it's much more comfortable compared to dual screen setup.  144 Hz refresh rate may sound like an overkill for desktop usage but I feel that it's more comfortable for my eyes.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, I don't have one of these monitors to test this out (all of mine are 4K and only support 60Hz). I can only say I am theoretically correct.

...S

0 Kudos