Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Intel Plus Graphics 655 - Brief Switch to Desktop on Scene Change.

Rick_B2
Beginner

Windows 11

Firefox browser.

Latest video driver.

When playing internet videos, mostly VoD, on BBC website and some others upon scene or camera change the video will show the PC desktop for perhaps one frame before going back to the video being viewed.

This doesn't happen on every scene change, maybe about 1 in 10. There is no such problem when viewing videos in VLC player. I suspect the problem is linked to a particular video protocol used by the website.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening, I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue and try the following steps: 

1. Did you try another browser (Chrome or Microsoft Edge)? 
  2. Make sure you have the latest version of Firefox. 
  3. Does this issue happen with older graphics driver versions? 
  4. Please attach a video showing the issue you are having and describe the steps to replicate it. 
  5. Also, please run this utility and attach the report: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hi Jocelyn,

Here are my answers.

1.  I tried BBC on Microsoft Edge for a couple of hours and did not see the effect. With Firefox I would have seen the effect.

2.  I have the latest version of Firefox.

3.  I haven't tried an earlier graphics driver.

4.  It would be difficult to capture the event and I don't know how I would do it. I'll see if I can set up my phone to capture it. As I mentioned earlier, the effect happens on average on 1 in 10 scene changes. If it happens, after about a second, there is one video frame view of the desktop before going back to the video playing. The desktop appears full height but only 50-70% of the display width.

I think I will also mention this problem to Firefox.

File attached.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for the information provided. 

However, we still need a video or screenshot (examples) showing the issue you are having and the steps to replicate it, since this is the first report about an issue like this one, so we are not familiar with this one for now and we need to investigate it more. 

Also, since this issue doesn't happen in another browser, we recommend you to check this out with the Firefox team first, it seems to be a browser issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hi Jocelyn,

Sorry for the delay. I have been trying to capture the event using my phone.

There are two types of event:

A quick flash.

A slightly longer event where the desktop is flashed.

I have managed to capture the flash event - file attached. I realise that it might be difficult to get accurate data as I have used a camera.

I will try for the desktop flash, which seems to be getting less frequent, a post it.

Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for the video provided. 

Just to confirm, in order for us to reproduce this issue, we need to play videos on the BBC website in Firefox for a considered amount of minutes and we should be able to see this issue, is that correct? 

If not, please provide us with the correct steps to replicate this issue. 

Also, I could see that your graphics drivers are outdated (27.20.100.8935), make sure you have the latest graphics driver version (31.0.101.2115), the latest OS updates, and the latest BIOS version in your system. Please check out the notes below regarding these steps:

Note #1: We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you check first with your Computer Manufacturer and use the driver software provided by them. 

Note #2: We recommend you to contact your Computer Manufacturer for the BIOS update process to not miss any important steps. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

Thanks for your reply. The answers to your questions:

Using Firefox, I have mostly observed the effects on the BBC website which I watch a lot. I have also seen on some other websites, but I can't remember which. FYI, for BBC you need to set up an account when on a UK VPN and then swear that you have a TV licence before the videos can be played. If the message "not available in your region" appears, try a different UK VPN location and refresh the page. In worst case, clear the cookies.

The occurrence of both the flash and desktop flash seems to be less frequent than they were and the video might have to be played for some considerable time before observing the effect. Also, just because the effect occurred at one scene transition, it is highly unlikely that it will be repeated when replaying this transition, so something else is also playing a part.

The computer in question is a Beelink SEi series. I will update the drivers and see if there is an improvement or disappearance of the effects and report back.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for all the information provided, we really appreciate the details. 

Please, let us know the result of the previous steps, if the issue persists, we will investigate further this issue. We will be waiting for your updates. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

I updated the video driver to that you suggested and only watched live BBC for 30 minutes or so. The problem is considerably worse with lots of the flash type effect and about 10% of the desktop effect which I will try to capture. The flash effect was occurring even when there was no scene change.

I will check over the next few nights and gather more data.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for the update. 

In that case, could you please provide me with an updated Intel® SSU report? I would like to do some research in the meantime. 

In any case, we appreciate any information, videos, or updates you can provide us about this issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

Sorry for the slow feedback. I was watching a BBC VoD on Sunday and saw two desktop flash events. So, I set up my phone camera and, of course, the event didn't occur again. I will try and capture the desktop flash event and sens the file.

Attached is the Intel SSU report.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for the update and the report provided. 

I recommend you to perform a clean installation of your graphics drivers, and then, install the latest graphics driver. Please, let me know the result. 

Note: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the clean installation. 

If the issue persists, use the driver software provided by your Computer manufacturer to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

Thank you for your reply.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver and still seeing the problem. I'm not sure if it's the latest but will check.

I managed to capture the desktop flash. It occurs just before the 5 second mark. I was able to visualise it by using VLC player and setting playback to super slow at 0.03x by repeatedly select Playback and then Speed as slower. I'm sure that Intel will have suitable playback media to capture it.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for the video provided. 

Just to confirm, did you perform a clean installation of your graphics drivers using the Graphics driver provided by your Computer manufacturer

If you have already done this step, please provide us with an updated Intel® SSU report to investigate it. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

I have used a clean install of the latest video driver as mentioned in earlier communications.

In watching about 4 hours of BBC programmes I saw the desktop flash maybe eight times. I don't think there were any short flashes. Attached is the latest SSU report.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for the report provided and for confirming that information. 

We will proceed to investigate it further, as soon as I have updates, I will post them here. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

We will try to replicate this issue, as soon as we have the results, I will let you know in this thread. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

I noticed on 20th January that there was a graphics driver software update from Intel. I installed it and rebooted.

The desktop flash occurred twice in a 45 minutes VoD on the BBC. It seemed like one of the desktop flashes was longer than previous ones I had seen. There's a Windows 11 cumulative update which will be installed on next boot up of that computer and I will check if this has made a difference to the problem and report back.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Rick_B2
Beginner

Hello Jocelyn,

I can confirm that the Windows 11 cumulative update has made no difference to the problem. The desktop flashes do seem longer than before the Intel graphics driver updates, but I would need to capture it to confirm this. I also think that I have seen a simple flash while watching a YouTube video in a window on the same computer.

This problem has not been seen my other computer using Firefox and Windows 11.

Best Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @Rick_B2

Thank you for your time. 

We were unable to replicate the issue, we watched several videos on the BBC site using Firefox web browser and the issue didn't show up.

In this case, you need to check with Web Browser Support since this issue is happening with a specific browser on your PC (since it doesn't happen in Edge as you confirmed before). 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos