Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 6-bit bug - Lenovo Ideapad 130-151KV

BMcMa
Beginner

I recently purchased this model of the Lenovo Ideapad. As others have reported with Intel UHD graphics, the color is limited to 6-bit. I can find no way to modify this.

Attempting to upgrade the legacy drivers to the new DCH driver results in an error message, which says such drivers are not "validated" for use on my system. Other sites say that manually installing these drivers poses a stability risk.

A) Can updating to DCH rectify the 6-bit issue?

B) If not DCH, are there any known driver versions which can fix this?

C) Are there any other means of changing color depth?

DxDiag and IntelSSU reports attached. Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide. Thank you.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. The standard color depth that Windows* uses is usually 8-bit. In some applications, the color depth will change automatically depending on the content being displayed and your hardware. When using Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) systems, we recommend using the drivers provided by your OEM since it usually includes customizations and features for your model. To investigate this issue further, please attach the template for submitting a graphics bug. https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490AGdSAM/important-template-for-submitting-a-graphics-bug Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner

Thanks. Please advise of solutions for this error. If 8-bit is the standard, how do I get that?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, Please attach the the DxDiag.txt and SSU.txt reports. DxDiag.txt https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022556/graphics-drivers.html SSU.txt https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner

Considering I'd already attached these to my initial post, I didn't think reposting was necessary.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, I apologize for requesting the files again. We will review the information attached to this thread and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, The reports attached are showing two different graphics driver versions that may be causing system conflicts. Have you tried performing a clean install of the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) graphics driver? We recommend following these steps: 1. Download the latest DCH driver: Intel_24.20.100.6292_DCH (OEM) 2. Disconnect your unit from the Internet to prevent Windows* Updates from installing any other driver. 3. Uninstall the DCH driver and the Intel® Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 4. Restart the computer. 5. Make sure the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' is listed under Windows* Device Manager > Video adapters. If not, repeat steps 2 to 4. 6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’, and no other Intel® Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows* has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point, we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'. 6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 8. Restart the computer. 9. Enable your Internet connection. 10. Download the Intel Graphics Control Panel from the MS Store. Please let us know if the issue persists. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for this information. I will attempt the steps you describe and let you know how it works out.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, As soon as you have any update about this, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

I am not seeing any DCH driver listed as installed under Programs and Features. Would this indicate I am currently using a Legacy driver? I had previously attempted to install a DCH driver but was denied access due to the driver not being validated for use on my system.

Should I attempt removal of the Legacy driver using the instructions you provided beginning at point 6?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, Thank you for your response. In this case, try following the steps for Legacy drivers (Step 6) an let us know if the issue persists. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner

Thank you, I will.

In case I need to revert, could you provide the download location for legacy driver version 24.20.0100.6292?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, You can find this driver version at your OEM's website: 130-15IKB Laptop (ideapad) https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/100-series/130-15ikb/downloads Note: Please verify your system model. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Your advice for installing the DCH driver worked, and the latest version is now installed.

Unfortunately, I am still seeing 6 bit color listed as the only option, with no apparent way to switch to 8 bit. (I did, however, see 8 bit color enabled after uninstalling the legacy driver, with just the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in use).

Attached are updated DxDiag and IntelSSU reports. If you could, please advise where I should see the option to change color depth. Would it be on the Advanced Display Settings screen?

0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, Thank you for your response. We have been working on this issue and we would like to know if you are able to connect an external monitor to your laptop. If so, check if you get 6-bit or 8-bit. After performing this test, please post this information: 1. Monitor model. 2. Picture showing the bit depth. 3. The connection you are using (e.g. HDMI*) Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, Were you able to try the steps recommended? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BMcMa
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Unfortunately, I don't currently have access to an external monitor. I'll attempt to do so and will post my results when available. In the meantime, I'll install any driver updates as they become available and see if anything changes.

Thanks for your help. Again, I'll try and find a monitor to test this with soon.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BMcMa, Thank you for your response. Connecting an external monitor to your laptop helps us know whether the issue could be related to your system configuration and display (built-in). In this case, if installing the latest OEM and generic drivers does not fix this issue, then we recommend contacting your system manufacturer and report this issue so that they can replicate it. Then, they may report the issue directly to Intel so that we can continue working on this. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Sebi89
Beginner

did you fix this I am having similar problemS? IT will not install the DCH driver?

0 Kudos