Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 Wrong Refresh Rate on 2560x1440 resolution

Daniel_Ribeiro

I have a Dell Inspirion 13-5378 laptop (Intel Core i7-7500U CPU, 32GB RAM, Intel Graphics 620 GPU). This machine has a HDMI 1.4b output, which I'm using with a Samsung U32J59 monitor.

Everything works fine if I set the desktop resolution to 1920x1080 60Hz, or 3840x2160 30Hz.

But I don't like 30Hz. Computer use becomes very laggy and unresponsive at 30Hz.

I am aware that the HDMI 1.4b cannot output 3840x2160 at 60Hz. That's why I'm trying to use the next best resolution that I can find, which is 2560x1440 at 60 Hz.

The problem is: When I select this particular resolution, the refresh rates that Windows shows are not exactly 60 Hz... Instead, it shows 60.011 Hz.

ApplicationFrameHost_SDemE9Omx6.png

This small difference of 0.011 Hz makes my monitor blink/flicker with a random interval between 5 seconds and 3 minutes. I know it's a sync problem, because the "OSD Overlay" says "HDMI 1" every time it happens... as if I disconnected the cable and connected again.

Here's what makes this problem even weirder: If I set the monitor resolution to 2560x1440 @ 60.011Hz, WiFi connection also becomes unstable. It drops and reconnects once every 5 minutes or so. WiFi router is 2.4Ghz and is 50cm away from computer. This computer doesn't has Ethernet port, only WiFi. This laptop has a Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Wireless Adapter. And this problem only happens when I set this particular resolution. Using 1920x1080 @ 60Hz it works fine.

I know what will be the first questions, let me answer in advance:

• Yes, I swapped the cable. I tried 5 different cables, the best one is a 2.1 certified for 8K and it has only 1 meter in length. Cable is not the problem.
  • Yes, Intel Graphics 620 driver is updated. The last version is from May 13, 2022 (30.0.101.1994), which is the one that I'm using right now. I also tried the driver that Dell provides, but I had no luck.
  • Yes, I tried the HDMI 2 input of the monitor. Same thing.

So, the question is: Is this a bug on the Intel UHD 620 driver?

There's something else I can try to use this monitor with this laptop on 2560x1440@60.000Hz?

Can somebody with a 4K monitor and a Intel 620 Graphics card test this particular resolution and see if the refresh rates are like mine or not?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Daniel_Ribeiro

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for the information provided.

In order to review this behavior further, could you please confirm/provide some additional details?

1- Is this a new laptop? Is this behavior occurring since the first day that you have this configuration (Laptop + SAMSUNG* display)? Or did it work fine before?

2- Just to make sure, where do you select the refresh rate?

For instance, are you setting the refresh rate at 60.00Hz in Intel® Graphics Command Center > Display, and then you see that Windows® Advanced display settings instead show "60.011 Hz". Is this correct?

3- We understand that you are using HDMI* and tried different cables. Are you using a straight-through connection HDMI-to-HDMI with a single cable to connect the display? Or are you using any type of video adapters, converters, or dockings with the devices and HDMI cables? Please provide details:

4- Have you checked if there are drivers or firmware available for your monitor (a.k.a. .inf files)?

The monitor's driver (.inf file) supplies configuration information and the operating system (OS) uses the file to implement the plug and play (PnP) features of the monitor. This configuration information includes supported refresh rates, screen resolution, color quality settings, etc.; so this allows for properly detecting the monitor features.

We recommend checking with the monitor manufacturer to make sure the software for it is properly installed and up to date.

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Daniel_Ribeiro

Hi Andrew, hope to find you well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Here are the answers for your questions:

1 - This is NOT a new Laptop, I bought it in 2018, but I only started to use it for everyday work 6 months ago. This is when I got this Samsung monitor and since them, I'm trying to make both work together. They never worked well on this particular resolution before (2560x1440 at 60.011Hz), this is why I use it most of the time with 1920x1080 at 60.000 Hz. 

2 - I tried to select the refresh rate both on Windows Advanced Settings and on Intel Graphics Command Center. On Intel GCC, it only shows "60p", but when I select this, Windows shows "60.011 Hz".

explorer_Sz22XNmYTb.png
I already tried to add a "Custom" resolution, setting it to 2560x1440 at 60p, but Intel GCC doesn't allows me to do that, it says that this resolution already exists.

3 - Yes, only a single cable connecting the Laptop to the Display. No adapters, no extensions, no converters, no docking or KVMs.

4 - Monitor drivers are installed, there are no newer versions than that.

DeviceProperties_fHER9lK2pd.png

5 - SSU file is attached.

As a curiosity fact, there's a third-party tool called CRU (Custom Resolution Utility), which the purpose is to create custom resolutions on Windows. Using this tool, I can create the 2560x1440 at exactly 60.000 Hz, and it works fine that way. The only problem is that this tool breaks the power saving features of Intel's original driver (computer freezes every time it tries to wake up the display). That's why I'm trying to keep things as much OEM as possible, without hacking too much.

I suspect this is just a driver bug, which could be fixed by Intel.

Again, thank you so much for the attention.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daniel_Ribeiro

Thank you for your response and for all the details. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more information is available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daniel_Ribeiro

We are still working on this matter. However, in the meantime, we would like you to test the behavior with previous driver versions: 30.0.101.1660 and 30.0.101.1631. Could you please test with these drivers?

To install the driver, please follow the steps in this article: Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*. During the process, please make sure all steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

Please let us know if the behavior is the same with these two drivers.

Also, by any chance do you have another monitor supporting resolution 2560x1440@60.00Hz to test this behavior? If yes, please provide feedback.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Daniel_Ribeiro

Hello Andrew, thanks again for trying to help me.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other monitor. I also don't have any other computer with similar specifications... I do have another computer, but it has an AMD GPU and it's connected by DisplayPort cable... and it works fine that way (any resolution works at 60.000 Hz). But I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I did the tests that you suggested me to do. 

explorer_BuKdjDPGp2.png

I uninstalled the drivers as instructed and then installed the indicated drivers.

Both drivers still shows "60.011 Hz" on resolution 2560x1440.

ApplicationFrameHost_p2YPM3HyV3.pngApplicationFrameHost_LelF3N2qhk.png

But I noticed that screen is flickering A LOT LESS than before...
I'm using the PC for about 1,5 hour with the 1660 driver, and it flickered only one time. And I was recording this time... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTzCxmBsykY

I'll keep using it this way to see how it goes. If it keeps flickering this way (with such large interval), I can live with that.

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daniel_Ribeiro

Thank you for all the details and the YouTube video. We are currently working on this matter and trying to replicate the behavior. We will update this thread once more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Daniel_Ribeiro

Hello Andrew. Just to keep the record.

The screen is still flickering on this particular resolution. It does flicker a lot less than before, and flickers are faster (most of times it just do a blink instead of a full second without video).

This is a 4-minute video of if flickering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1D3rEr3mDI&ab_channel=DanielRibeiro

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daniel_Ribeiro

Thank you for the additional feedback and for the new video.

We are still trying to replicate the behavior and once more information is available we will post it here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daniel_Ribeiro

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After reviewing this further and testing this scenario, our conclusion is that this seems to be related to the display and not the drivers especially since we did not have any flickering in our lab.

In this case, the recommendation is to test a different monitor with equal/similar capabilities; however, if you still do not have access to any other monitor, what we can recommend is to reach the monitor manufacturer for further assistance and debugging.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Daniel_Ribeiro

Since there are no more questions/comments in the thread, we will proceed to close this now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Ribeiro

Ok, thanks for your effort trying to help me.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos