Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Intel UHD 620 driver crashes/freezes Computer

photangralenphie
Beginner

Hello, 

I have the following problem with my Intel UHD 620 Driver: 

It crashes/freezes Windows, forcing me to hard reboot. This only occurs when the computer is doing nothing or just a background process like encoding a video is happening. I can work for hours having windows open, but then making a 10 minute break and the computer freezes. I can't force a crash to happen, sometimes it happens right after the login, sometimes after hours. After a crash, the windows reliability report just states that the computer was shut down unexpectedly, so this is no help. Through a long process I figured out that, disabling/uninstalling the Intel UHD 620 driver in Device Manager and using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter "fixes" the problem, though graphics performance is now miserable.

I tried different drivers to fix the problem. I install the newest and oldest available versions from the Intel download center, the versions that were offered to me via Windows Update and the Intel Driver and Support Assistent. Currently installed is an OEM driver I found. All of them haven't fixed the problem.

I had the exact same problem over half a year ago and after I couldn't find a solution, I reinstalled Windows, which fixed the problem. Only that it occurred again after 3 months.

I attached the Intel SSU report and hope you can help me.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello photangralenphie,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® UHD Graphics 620.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Provide the Report for the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool:

2. Does the Acer driver version "26.20.100.7527" present the same behavior?

3. Have you noticed any overheating issues with the laptop?

4. Did you notice the issue after a system update (drivers, BIOS, Windows)?

5. Have you checked this issue with Acer?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
photangralenphie
Beginner

Thanks for your reply,

1. Provide the Report for the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

I attached the report

2. Does the Acer driver version "26.20.100.7527" present the same behavior?

Yes it does.

3. Have you noticed any overheating issues with the laptop?

No I haven't

4. Did you notice the issue after a system update (drivers, BIOS, Windows)?

Not that I know of. I think the fist time it appeared around the time, I downgraded from Windows 11 to Windows 10 but this could just be a coincidence because for the second time, I can't remember a driver install or BSOD etc. 

5. Have you checked this issue with Acer?

Yes I have, but they haven't messaged me back yet.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello photangralenphie, 

Thanks for the information provided. In this case, before we continue further, please try the following:

1. As a test, perform a clean installation of the Intel drivers:

2. Check the Windows updates for optional updates.

3. Does the issue appear when you are at the BIOS?

4. Is it possible to get a video where we can see the issue?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
photangralenphie
Beginner

Last night I tried to recreate the problem to make a video of it. As strange as it sounds, for now my computer didn't crash again. I don't know what happened and I didn't change anything with my driver. All I did was going in the BIOS to see if the problem exists there, since then it is running fine. 

If the problem occurs again, I will write again.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Postoronnim
Novice

Try disconnecting additional monitors from the laptop (if connected). Next, use a key combination to try turning the screen on and off. Do this continuously 10-50 times. Maybe the problem will show up. I faced the same issue. At first I thought that the laptop enters sleep mode, after which it freezes and you can turn it on only by holding the power button for a long time. Then I realized that the problem occurs precisely at the moment the screen is turned off. My problem was solved by disabling (not deleting) Intel audio for displays. When this device is disabled, the laptop works properly.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello photangralenphie, 

I am glad to know that the issue has not appeared so far. However, before I continue further I would like to know if you have experienced the issue again or if you would like to close this thread.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Postoronnim
Novice

I'm not the author of the topic, but I have a very similar situation. I could provide any information. Do I need to create a new topic?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, you need to open an new conversation.

While they may seem similar, every user's issues are different. You have different hardware, different driver mix, different installation order, etc. In addition, Intel Customer Support wants to track each individual user's issue to completion. They can't do that if you are a rider on or are hijacking someone else's conversation. Please open your own conversation for your issue (using the Post a Question button on the main forum page). Please include a full description of your issue, the model of your PC, etc., in your post.

If you want to save time, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. When you start the tool, select Everything and then click on Scan. Once it completes the scan process, click on Next and then Save. Pick a name for the text file to create and click on Save to create it. You can then close the app. Finally, in the description for your issue, use the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your question), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello photangralenphie,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

@Postoronnim , as n_scott_pearson mentioned, it would be better if you open a new thread so you can get proper support.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Postoronnim
Novice

@DeividA_Intel Thank you. Now I will prepare all the necessary information and create a new thread

DeividA_Intel

Hello photangralenphie,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos