Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel UHD 630 Black screen on MSI laptop

KThur
Beginner

Having an issue with the Intel UHD 630 drivers on an MSI GP73 Leopard 8RE. It is running windows 10 x64 home build 1809

The laptop will black screen every time the Intel drivers are installed or if the card is enabled. I cannot get it to function. I have done the following

• Flash all BIOS and EC firmware
  • Tried MSI (manufacturer) AND Intel DCH drivers and none are working - same results jsut a black screen
  • Boots fine in safe mode with the device enabled

I have been looking at the forums and this appears to be a very large issue. I have tried all of the Intel DCH driver, manual and exe installs trying to get it to work. Unfortunately nothing is working. I have tried Windows 10 1903 and the issue persists there. I cannot go back to Windows 10 1803 as I don't have media nor will it prevent 1809 from being installed at some point.

I have NOT been able to figure this issue out and any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. In many cases, the laptop manufacturer customizes Intel driver to feet to their hardware requirements. Try to install drivers from MSI site. In this case it is version 25.20.100.6471 http://download.msi.com/nb_drivers/vga/vga_win64_25.20.100.6471_0x19c30b73.zip
  2. On this page https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GP73-Leopard-8RE#down-driver&Win10%2064 you will find also the NVIDIA drivers for your laptop.
  3. I suggest that you should uninstall the currently installed driver (you should see Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver) and then install the MSI drivers.

Leon

0 Kudos
KThur
Beginner

Thank you for the suggestions but as mentioned in the original post i have tried them and they are providing the same outcome.​

Those were the first drivers I tried after a fesh windows install.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You MUST use both the Intel and NVIDIA drivers from MSI. Do not use drivers from anywhere else.

If you still have problems after this, contact MSI for support.

Doc

0 Kudos
KThur
Beginner

Is did contact MSI and they recommended talking to intel. The laptop is out of warranty so there was only so much they were willing to help with. Also see my OP stating those were the first driver i trued after a freah install.

I​ am not sure I agree with the MUST comment as MSI recommendes to use drivers directly from intel and nvidia cs their drivers.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

When you have dual graphics, the drivers are modified to work correctly and provide the proper switching. The generic drivers do not provide this switching. Thus, MUST is the correct term.

MSI is not providing you support. Their involvement when you purchased the laptop included support from them. Make them earn it.

Doc

0 Kudos