Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel UHD 630 - latest drivers - black screen when I enable HDR in Windows 10

FSt-P
Beginner

I have been trying to build an htpc. Whenever I update all drivers to latest version and try and enable HDR, the screen goes black and I cannot get video access back. This is off an HP prodesk 400 g4 dm with the HDMI module. The display device is a Vizio D70-F3. I found other references to this issue in the latest Windows 10 with the last intel 630 drivers. A workaround that works is to downgrade drivers to v23 and it works great. I would love to get everything working with the latest drivers. What broke since v23?

Thank you!​

0 Kudos
22 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Read this to see if your system meets the requirements for HDR.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf

Doc

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner
My entire setup supports HDR, if you read the text, I have HDR working on driver version 23 just fine. I have already confirmed this information.
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner
Just noticed I replied to the thread, but not this post. Replying just to ensure you see the other comment with the requested information. Thanks
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for the update, never the less, I am not able to see the information that you have provided could you reattach the information to look into the issue.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Have you been able to collect the information requested?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner

Sorry, didn't have the PC I made the report off available. See attached doc. dxdiag and SSU are inside the docx file.

23.20.016.4973 is the version that works in HDR. Any version after this does not.

26.20.100.7156 is the latest version I've tried.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for the details that you have provided, allow me to look into the issue that you are having, I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for waiting.

I was checking the details about the behavior and system information that you are having, I would like to point out that you are using the Windows® 10 build 19041 (version 2004 code mane 20H1) insider build, in addition,  you have to take in consideration that the Intel® graphics driver have been validated for Windows® 10 official released versions, for example, Fall Creators Update (1709)(RS3), April 2018 Update (1803)(RS4), October 2018 Update (1809)(RS5), May 2019 Update (1903)(19H1), November 2019 Update (1909)(19H2). With the system configurations that you are running, I recommend referring to Microsoft and report this specific behavior or testing the system with a validated Windows® 10 build.

NOTE: You can find detail information about the validated Windows® 10 builds for the Intel® graphics drivers in Intel® download center, in the download link and in the “readme notes” in the same download link. as reference see https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29274/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner
So if I were to tell you that this happens with 19h1 or even 1903, would you still refer me to Microsoft? I upgraded after posting the issue and was on 19h1, so no, this isn't an issue with the fact I joined the slow ring build of Windows 10. I can downgrade back to the mainline Windows 10 version right now and reproduce the issue. Can you push investigation further than deflecting the issue to someone else's court? Otherwise, would you have a more recent version of the UHD 630 drivers, beta or alpha, which I could test? Thanks.
0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner

Added dxdiag and ssu for windows 10 build 19h1 on latest intel drivers, Making a video will not shed any further light on the matter. The procedure to reproduce is simple: Right click on desktop, go to display settings, click on Play HDR games and apps. TV loses signal, so all you get is no signal on HDMI 1. Only way to recover is plug in a secondary display on the DP 1.2 port, switch resolution to a low resolution, plug back the HDMI 2.0a port, deactivate HDR.

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner

Is it normal you can't add more than 1 file per post? Here is dxdiag.

I did make 2 videos, 1 with build 26 failing and one with build 23 working, if you really need them.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for that update and sharing that this behavior happens on Windows® 10 mainline, is ti possible for you to go back to Windows® 10 November 2019 Update (1909)(19H2) and pull the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*, Dxdiag report, and a video showing the behavior for me to keep looking into this.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for the replication steps to follow in order to apply a similar workaround:

What is the resolution when the issue happens?

What is the brand and model of the secondary display and what resolution is used on this display?

What resolution do you have to set on the primary display?

Note: Yes we can only attach one file at the time.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner
Hello, Resolution is always 3840x2160 60hz in all scenarios, never swap it unless HDR breaks signal. There is no secondary display, there is just a secondary display PORT which is on the same device, the prodesk 400 g4 dm. It has dual displayport 1.2 ports and an addon hdmi port. This is always plugged through a marantz nr1608 amp in 4k passthrough going to a D70-F3 tv from vizio. I mentioned the displayport, as it's the only way I can change the screen resolution to remove HDR. Thanks
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for the detailed information allow me to try a similar set up on my end, I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

I was testing the driver 26.20.100.7584 with the following Hardware and Software:

Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor

Intel® UHD Graphics 620 driver 26.20.100.7584

AVR: Yamaha RX-v485

Display: LG 55UH8500

Operating System: Windows 10 1909

The HDR option was able to be enabled on windows display setting at a resolution of 3840 X 2160 @ 60Hz and I did not have any black screen and the system was able to load the feature. can you run your system set up without the Marantz nr1608 amp to see it the behavior persist?

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner

I just tried directly from HDMI 2 of my TV and it actually worsens the issue. Even with driver version 23, I'm unable to get a signal from my HDMI port at all now when I negociate a display signal with 4k resolutions... Which is really odd. Signal goes through just fine through the displayport connection, but obviously no HDR, as it's DP 1.2. Back on the amp as an intermediary brings back the signal.

0 Kudos
FSt-P
Beginner

Tried with another HDMI cable and back to same scenario when going directly from HDMI 2 on the TV: Signal is lost on build 26+ when HDR is enabled, works well and TV detects HDR10 when on build 23.

So I've excluded the Marantz NR1608 from the equation as well as excluded a cable issue, as I swapped all cables at least 3 times in between devices.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FSt-P

Thank you for completing the testing, this could be related to a handshake issue in the environment. I know that you have tested several graphics driver on the system never the less I would like to know if you have tested the system with the latest HP driver for your HP Prodesk 400 G4 DM since this is a prebuild Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) system it is recommended to use the customized driver, in addition, we recommend completing any pending updates from the OEM like HDMI® firmware update; another step that you can try is uninstalling the graphics driver until you get to the Microsoft® basic display adapter and update it through device manager following these steps:

1.   Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

2.   Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

3.   Restart the computer.

4.   Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

1.  If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:
  2. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'
  3. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.
  4. Click on 'Uninstall'.
  5. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')

5.   Restart the system connect to the internet.

6.   Right-click on the Windows® logo.

7.   Select device manager.

8.   Go display adapters

9.   Right-click on Microsoft basic display adapter and select the option update.

10. Use the option: search automatically for updated driver software.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos