Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel UHD 750 Graphic card and White Dots in H265 video

shifting_sand_15

Hello, 

i recently switched from Nvidia GTX1650 graphics card to integrated one in my i7-11700 processor.

I noticed white dots as artefacts in VLC player while playing H265 video files.

When I turn off hardware acceleration in VLC player, white dots disappear.

Also there were none white dots while I was using GTX1650 and playing the same video files.

In this sample 4K video
 13. HDR10+ HEVC 10-bit 23.976 Sample (in MKV with Dolby ATMOS audio)

from this webpage https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples - white dots are visible and reproducible on my system.

I am on the driver version 30.0.100.9955.

Attached are system summary, test results of cpu testing, screenshot of a problematic dots.

Is this problem a driver issue and is there acknowledged bug for it?

Regards.

36 Replies
Roland_87
New Contributor I

I have the same problems with Netflix and H265 codec (Link to Topic). It's horrible for multiple reasons.

0 Kudos
hedonistichuman24

Same problem playing 4K content on Netflix, if you aren't using discrete graphics, please try updating your BIOS, it worked for me!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello shifting_sand_15,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

We have noticed that this issue is present when HDR is enabled in Windows, as a test try to disable it (if it was enabled) and let me know if the issue persisted after that.

Also, we are investigating this issue and we have a thread about this behavior in case you would like to give it a look:

- https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-11th-Gen-Graphics-4K-HDR-video-playback-glitches-white/m-p/1305286#M99821

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
shifting_sand_15

Hello Deivid,

I do not have HDR enabled Monitor (it is DELL S2415H), and these are my windows settings regarding HDR.

11.png22.png

If there is another option regarding HDR - in windows or Intel Graphics Control Center please advise.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello shifting_sand_15

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
shifting_sand_15

Thank you Deivid for engaging in troubleshooting.

If you have additional requests for information or maybe for the access to the system please do tell.

Best Regrads.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello shifting_sand_15, 

In order to continue further, can you provide us with a "step by step" for us to reproduce this issue? This would be to make sure that we will follow the exact same steps that you did.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
shifting_sand_15

Hello, 

sure thing.

Here is VLC version info and settings.
vlc version.png

vlc settings.png

On the following web page https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples 
Download video file at number 13. HDR10+ HEVC 10-bit 23.976 Sample (in MKV with Dolby ATMOS audio)
Direct link is this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SlyFMHvLH-TICDVPRAyWVvl9xcqnbaZC/view?usp=sharing 
Video file is around 300MB in size and 1 minute in length.

From folder where video file is downloaded, right click on video file, click Play with VLC media player.
White dots should appear and disappear throughout played video in "random" locations. They should be pretty much visible.

If you have additional questions please write them.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello shifting_sand_15, 

I appreciate all the information provided, I will continue with the research and will get back with more details as soon as possible.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
shifting_sand_15

Hello Deivid,

any news regarding reproduction of a problem?

Regards.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

After successfully reproducing this issue in our lab we have filed bug ID 14015516075 with our driver development team.

Keep an eye for our latest drivers on downloadcenter and check the driver's Release Notes because once a fix is available it should be noted there.

We'll also use this thread to post news and updates as they become available.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello shifting_sand_15, 

As RonaldM_Intel mentioned, we were able to reproduce this issue, and since our driver development team is working on this matter I am going to close this thread.

However, we will update this read as promised previously. Also, you can check the following thread as a reference:

- https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-11th-Gen-Graphics-4K-HDR-video-playback-glitches-white/m-p/1305286#M99821

Regards,   

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
shifting_sand_15

Excellent news,

Thanks for your engagement and support.

0 Kudos
hedonistichuman24

I had this exact same issue (playing HEVC H.264 4k /1080p/720p videos)! on my i5 11600k processor , UHD 750 GFX, I assume you are using a desktop, I was able to solve this completely by updating my BIOS, that's all it took, please do check if your motherboard is up-to-date with the latest BIOS 

Once your BIOS is updated, you shouldn't be getting this problem for local VLC playback or online playback which uses hardware acceleration 

P.S: My MB is Asus Prime B560 PLUS.

Hope this works!

0 Kudos
shifting_sand_15

Hello,

I was already on latest BIOS version for my MSI Z590 PRO Wifi motherboard prior to opening this thread.

Since the bug is confirmed all we have to do is to wait for the fix in next driver release.

0 Kudos
hedonistichuman24

Alright then, my BIOS update came in just a few days back on Nov 24, till then even I was on the latest version.

After I updated my BIOS once again the issue seemed to be resolved

0 Kudos
CarlToribio
Novice

I can confirm this. My ASUS TUF B560M Motherboard has a BIOS Update for Nov 24, 2021, and installing it seems to have resolved the issue. However, my other motherboard MSI B560 Tomahawk has no new BIOS yet, so hopefully this can also still be addressed via a Graphics Driver Update.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @CarlToribio 

I don't want to jump to any conclusion as I am not in the driver dev team, but given that the issue is being resolved through BIOS updates on different motherboards, I would go ahead and say the root cause of this issue is outside of the graphics driver... my money is on the VBIOS component which incidentally is a part of the BIOS/UEFI motherboard.

We still have bug ID 14015516075 filed with the driver team, but I wouldn't be surprised if after debugging they close it as "not a driver defect" and push it to each motherboard manufacturer to fix it.

I'll post any updates as they become available, but if I were you I'll be contacting the motherboard manufacturer to get them to release a new BIOS to address this issue just as other have done it 😉

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
ColinMcnulty
Novice
Hi, what hardware did you use to recreate the issue?
0 Kudos
CarlToribio
Novice

Has anyone tested on the new driver 30.0.101.1191 ? My MSI B560 Tomahawk didn't release the new BIOs with the new Intel uCode yet, unlike my ASUS B560M 😞

0 Kudos