Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 620 doesn't support aspect ratio 21:9 and higher framerate than 30 Hz

L_Kehrseit
Novice

Dear Intel Customer Support Team,

I bought a new monitor (Iiyama G-Master GB34666WQSU) which has a maximum resolution of 3440 x 1440 @144Hz and 21:9 aspect ratio. When I connected this monitor to my laptop via a HDMI cable (High Speed with Ethernet), the maximum resolution at 30Hz is supported, but only the 16:9 aspect ratio can be set (in the Intel graphics control room) for all selectable resolutions.
This results in the problem that the image signal of the laptop appears very distorted on the monitor, stretched in width. Moreover, no resolution between 3440 x 1440 and 1920 x 1080 allows a higher refresh rate than 30 Hz. However, since the HDMI output of my PC has HDMI 1.4b, the image signal should allow a resolution of 2560 × 1600 at a refresh rate of 60 Hz according to the general specifications.

My laptop has the following specifications:
Aspire 5 (A515-51G)
Processor: i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 RAM.
Graphics cards: Intel UHD Graphics 620 & Nvidia GeForce MX130
Ports: HDMI 1.4b, USB-C 3.1 (Gen. 1; without Displayport support), 1x USB-A 3.0, 2x USB-A 2.0

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

I recently updated the the new driver igfx_win_101.1660 for Intel UHD Graphics 620, but this did not solve my problem.

Could you send me alternate drivers or problem-solving suggestions and let me know how I can get both a 21:9 aspect ratio and higher refresh rates at resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 with my current setup of laptop and monitor, if necessary, by using other peripheral devices, such as other cables or adapters, use of USB hubs, or the like?

Best regards

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with your Intel® UHD Graphics 620.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

3. DId you notice the issue when you connect a different monitor or TV to the laptop?

4. Have you checked with Acer to confirm if there are any kind of restrictions?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
L_Kehrseit
Novice

Dear Deivid A.,

thank you for your quick reply.

1. & 2. Attached please find the requested reports for Intel® SSU and Intel® Graphics Drivers.

3. No, this issue only appears with my new monitor with aspect ratio 21:9 and always appears, when a source is connected to this monitor via HDMI cable. Other monitors or TVs are displayed properly when connected to the laptop.

4. Yes, I've contacted them, but did not get any information about restrictions which could lead to this issue.

After several attempts with different cables and adapters, I finally managed to connect the monitor in an acceptable resolution that no longer outputs a distorted image. For this, I needed a (quite expensive) HDMI to Displayport adapter. However, I still can't connect the monitor reasonably via HDMI alone and i cannot run the resolution in more than 30Hz although the Intel Graphics 620 should allow up to 60Hz concerning my desired resolution of 3440 x 1440.

Furthermore, I now have to set the resolutions manually, since they are no longer automatically suggested/output by the Intel graphics control room. Could you tell me:

5. which resolutions can be displayed full screen with that monitor with the aspect ratio of 21:9? So far 3440 x 1440@30Hz and 2560 x 1080@60Hz have worked for this, but the latter is output very blurry. I have now ordered a new adapter which should be more powerful and able to reproduce 3440 x 1440@60Hz. However, it would be good to know what smaller resolutions I could set at a higher refresh rate.
6. is there any way to make the screen resolution 2560 x 1080@60Hz sharp?
7. does it make the most sense for me to use only the CEA-861 timing standard for the manually set resolutions?
8. should I leave interlaced off or on for the manually set resolutions?
9. which value do you recommend to enter for "Underscan%"?

10. Could an update solve this issue?

Best regards,

L. Kehrseit

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit, 

Thanks for all the information provided. I will try to respond to all your questions:

1. Based on Iiyama, the maximum resolution for this monitor is 3440 x 1440. Also, I would like you to know that based on the specifications you will need an HDMI 1.4 to run 3440 x 1440@60Hz 8 bit per pixel and HDMI 2.0 to run 3440 x 1440 10 bit per pixel or higher at 60GHz as well as a 34" monitor.

2. In this case to get a resolution of 2560 x 1080 at 60Hz sharp you may need to try a better HDMI version (1.4 or 2.0), bear in mind that the adapter may cause unexpected issues with Intel graphics.

3. As per the timing, you may need to use the one that adjusts better for you or the one advised by the laptop or monitor.

4. If the resolution is not set automatically, you may need to set it manually.

5. Unfortunately, I am not sure what you mean by "recommended value for Underscan%".

6. Updating your system may help and could solve some issues, so please try the following:

• Update your Windows 10 to the latest version and build (not to Windows 11).
  • Check the Nvidia website for the latest drivers.

Also, try to confirm that your Nvidia card is set as the main graphics card at the Nvidia control panel.

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
L_Kehrseit
Novice

Dear Deivid A.,

I bought a new adapter which supports 4k resolutions up to 60 Hz, however I only managed to get the resolution 3440 x 1440@40 Hz. This happens although all devices involved now support the resolution I want;  my laptop has a HDMI type A receptacle with the version 1.4b which does support 3440 x 1440@60Hz according to your information. Furthermore, Intel® UHD Graphics 620 should support this, too.

However, I still can't get more than 40 Hz. The Intel Graphics Command Center tells me the following: "Error occured. Unable to add settings. Reason: Mode not supported."

All drivers (Intel and Nvidia) and windows are up to date.

My laptop does have the graphics card MX130, however it uses Nvidia Optimus and only uses the graphics card if it's necessary. Maybe that's the reason why I cannot set it as the main graphics card - not in BIOS nor in Windows. Additionally, according to the Acer Support the HDMI receptacle is attached to the mainboard, therefore only the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 is directly connected to the monitor, that's maybe the reason why the only options in the Nvidia controls are 3D settings and PowerMizer settings which don't allow any adjustment concerning the resolution of the monitor.

Concerning the "recommended value for Underscan%" I received the following information from Acer Support: "Via "underscan" you can correct the alignment - normally 0%." This does work so far.

I hope that there is a solution for my problem.

Best regards,

L_Kehrseit

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit,  

In this case, before we continue further I would like to confirm if the issue persists.

You mentioned "Concerning the "recommended value for Underscan%" I received the following information from Acer Support: "Via "underscan" you can correct the alignment - normally 0%." This does work so far.". Please let me know if the issue persists or if you found a workaround.

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
L_Kehrseit
Novice

Dear Deivid A.,

my statement "This does work so far" was exclusively related to the problems of getting a sharp and normal output by 21:9 aspect ratio via the HDMI port and that I didn't know before what to enter under "Underscan" when setting the screen resolution manually.

However, the problem that I only get the resolution 3440 x 1440@40 Hz, although all devices involved (laptop with Intel® UHD Graphics 620, HDMI Type A receptacle with version 1.4b and HDMI-to-Displayport adapter) now support this resolution @60 Hz, still exists.

With kind regards
L_Kehrseit

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit,  

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit, 

I do apologize for the late response on this matter. Based on the investigations I noticed that the resolution is being detected by the graphics card and drivers (check image 1).

Based on the information from the monitor manual, you may need to change the aspect ratio of the monitor itself (check images 2 and 3).

Also, bear in mind that free sync may affect some of the resolutions (check image 4), and for 144MHz it is through the display (No adapters, it has to be straight connected).

You can check the monitor manual below:

https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/g-master-gb3466wqsu-b1/

Based on the previous statement, I recommend you to try the following:

1. Change aspect ratio options from the monitor itself.

2. Only use a straight connection and not an adapter (HDMI to HDMI, DP to DP).

3. Check with Acer for the proper guidance in regards to the settings you need to enable/disable to reach such resolutions.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
L_Kehrseit
Novice

Dear Deivid A.,

Thank you for your help. I will report this issue to the Acer support soon, too.

I had the following problem with your suggestions:

1. There is no option in the monitor menu to change the ratio option. According to your screenshots I selected the Gamma 1.8 and switched off Free Sync. The info in the manual "Option unavailable with 21:9 resolution" in image 3 does only mean, that you cannot change the aspect ratio when using a 21:9 resolution.

Nonetheless the following did get me a little bit closer to a solution: I plugged adapter out, to which the DP cable was attached which was plugged into the monitor on the other side, and connected my laptop and the monitor with an HDMI-cable only and suprisingly the graphic card of my laptop recognized the max. resolution of 3440 x 1440@30 Hz of the monitor automatically and used an aspect ratio of 21:9, although this didn't work before.

Then I've switched off Free Sync and could reach a resolution up to 3440 x 1440@40Hz. But when I tried to select an resolution up to 50 or even 60Hz the Intel Graphics Command Center still tells me the following: "Error occured. Unable to add settings. Reason: Mode not supported." Just to check, i switched Free Sync on again, and then even a resolution up to 3440 x 1440@40Hz even worked with Free Sync.

I tried some things like changing the color format from RGB to YCBCR_444 but even with this mode and switched of Free Sync I couldn't reach a higher refresh rate than 40Hz.

The Pros are now, that I can connect the monitor with my laptop without the need to use the adapter to get a resolution up to 3440 x 1440@40Hz. But I can't figure out why my laptop and the monitor work fine now without the image signal appearing distorted on the monitor, stretched in width like it was the case before using the adapter, which really seems akward to me.

However, the problem that I only get the resolution 3440 x 1440@40 Hz, although all devices involved (laptop with Intel® UHD Graphics 620, HDMI Type A receptacle with version 1.4b and high speed HDMI-cable) now support this resolution @60 Hz, still exists.

With kind regards
L_Kehrseit

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit, 

I am glad to know that you now are reaching the right resolution. As per the issue with the frequency, bear in mind that the intel products work better with a straight connection and no adapters. 

Also, I will check this behavior internally and let you know about any outcome. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit, 

Thanks for your patience and time. Based on the research, I would like to let you know that the issue is present due to bandwidth limitation at 60Hz since is over 10Gbps which is more than your configuration can handle.

For now, I can recommend you to try Display Port if available, or an HDMI Alternate Mode which will allow connecting a USB-C device with an HDMI-equipped display. Bear in mind that some USB-C to HDMI cables also supports Thunderbolt 3 and 4, opening up for higher resolutions. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello L_Kehrseit, 

As the last advised, I recommend you to check with Acer since this could be a port/bandwidth limitation from the laptop, and also try to check with the monitor manufacturer to confirm if there is any option on the site that can help to increase the frequency.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos