Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 620

Prreed
Beginner

I have a Dell Latitude 5590 Laptop with the Intel UHD Graphics 620 hardware on the motherboard running Windows 10 64bit. The screen will not come back on when exiting "Sleep" mode or when I close the lid. I have performed a clean install of the latest Windows update(21H1), latest Intel drivers and so far no change. I have disabled sleep mode in power options, but when I close the laptop the screen goes off but I think the laptop is not in sleep mode. Anyone else having this problem? Back last year my desktop did something similar after a Windows 10 update, but since does not have the same problem.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Prreed

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

1- Did the system work before fine before. If yes, what changes did occur at that moment? Was there any recent Windows* or driver update? Or was any hardware/software change? Please provide.

2- If this worked before, by any chance do you handle the list of driver versions that you have tested? Do you know what driver versions work and which versions don't?

3- Please provide screenshots of the power options that you have disabled.

4- Is the behavior happening when the system is plugged into the power source, when using only battery, or with both?

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Prreed
Beginner

The laptop belongs to a friend. He said it started some time ago but all he knows is that when he went to use the laptop, the screen would not come on. He had to hold down the power button and restart it. I have the power options set to never sleep, never shut the hard drive down and never hibernate.

0 Kudos
Prreed
Beginner

Also, I have tried several different graphics drivers with no success.

0 Kudos
Prreed
Beginner

I have downloaded and installed the BIOS update from Dell which did not resolve the video issue. Today I downloaded the earlier Dell video driver, Intel UHD Graphics Driver Version 27.20.100.9171, A19*. It appears to have corrected the problem with sleep mode. However, what is going to happen the next time Dell or Microsoft decides to do an update when connected to the internet and installs a newer Intel driver?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Prreed

Thank you for your response.

Based on the Intel® SSU report, we noticed that the system is running the latest Intel® generic graphics driver, version 27.20.100.9466. Unfortunately, it seems we are missing specific details about the different graphics drivers tested (e.g.: a list of working and not working drivers).

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM). OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. In this case, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver using the OEM driver from Dell* to discard driver-related issues. Please follow these steps:

Step 1 - Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 
  • Click the search and type "Windows updates" and click on that option.
  • Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Step 2 - Clean install of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest Dell* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel UHD Graphics Driver Version 27.20.100.9171, A19*.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the Display adapters section and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® UHD Graphics 620).

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® UHD Graphics 620 or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded Dell* file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process (Step 2) using the latest Intel® generic driver (.exe file) for testing purposes. You can download the driver from this link: Intel® UHD Graphics 620 Version: 27.20.100.9466.

Note:

Based on the Intel® SSU report, the BIOS version in the system is 1.16.0. We noticed there is a new BIOS update available on Dell* website for the system: Version 1.16.3*. You may check with Dell* Support to see if the new BIOS may have a fix for this issue and if they recommend the update and installation instructions.

Please report back the outcome of the steps. If the behavior persists, please confirm if both drivers were tested (OEM Dell* and Intel® generic) and provide a new Intel® SSU report.

Also, please confirm if the behavior is happening when the system is plugged into the power source, when using only battery, or with both?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Prreed

Thank you for your response. We are glad to know that after installing the customized driver from Dell*, this has corrected the problem with sleep mode. This seems to be a behavior due to OEM customized drivers vs generic drivers.

Regarding your inquiries, our recommendation is to check this further with Dell* and Microsoft Support for information and instructions (if available) on how to control drivers and updates offered by their tools and services. This is since Intel® doesn't control how third parties offer and install/push updates.

Since the issue has been fixed after installing the driver from Dell*, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos