Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 630 High GPU Usage

centralomd
Beginner

I have an   laptop with Intel UHD Graphics 630 installed.

For 1 month (my laptop's age) my GPU was fine until a week ago, where my GPU Usage is spiking up.

It goes from 0% to 100% and stays for about 1-2 seconds, then goes down. Not even 4 seconds later it rises again. When it spikes, my laptop froze, and I encounter an fps drop. The "spiking" process will repeat until I restart my laptop.

This "spiking" event happens every day, around 5 minutes-3 hours after I turn on my laptop.

When I check Task Manager, it shows that dwm.exe or zoom.exe is using more than 50% GPU (Intel 630 only, I have 2 GPUs: Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650)

Changing dwm.exe default graphic is impossible, since its disabled on the NVIDIA Control Panel. Oh, and if you think its a GPU Miner Malware, 5 antiviruses found no virus whatsoever.

So what caused my Intel GPU's Usage to Peak? And How do I fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies
Cornysz
Beginner
I have this very same issues too! 2 GPUs, intel UHD 630 with GTX 1650. Need this solution too..
0 Kudos
Johnbelley
Novice
Something that seems to have helped is going into the graphics settings under "display" in the settings app and setting dwm.exe and csrss.exe to "High performance" This supposedly keeps these processes from bottle necking the system in order to preserve power.
0 Kudos
Cornysz
Beginner

Thank you for the information. Am i setting it right? Sadly, My PC still getting little freeze (around 10 second), the laggy appear erratically (usually at multitasking), so that's make me harder to figure the causes.

0 Kudos
Albad
Novice

This has not helped at all for me. dwm.exe still uses the GPU 0 - Intel HD Graphics 630 and still spikes all the time. It has even gotten worse after installing the latest Intel Graphics driver. This is now what the GPU usage looks like just browsing this support site with chrome.

0 Kudos
Bharathc
Beginner
am also facing same issue intel uhd graphics will reach 0 to 100% just in a refresh.
0 Kudos
fernando_
Beginner

Hello, 

Were you able to solve this problem?

I have this same issue, after upgrading to Windows 11,  with UHD 630 (my PC has also a RTX 1050)

Installing a new driver mitigated a bit, but still getting little freeze.

One thing that helps is unpluging the AC, it seems it has something to do with power management.

0 Kudos