Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 630 (I suspect) causes my screen to randomly black screen and many more.

adriem912
New Contributor I
I was experiencing random black screen, flickering items except the video on the screen or the video pauses and all the items are black except the photo of the video (video paused) while watching videos or having a meeting using video communications platform. I was able to fix the issue atleast for Chrome, Edge and Firefox by disabling Hardware acceleration with the effect of slow startup of the web browsers. So I just reverted my settings. So I just suffered of the issue than slowing down my web browsing experience. It is annoying but the issue is not taking longer than 10 seconds.

I mean of video paused the video is still playing (hearing audio) but appearing paused on my monitor like a static image. And other than the static image looking thing the whole Windows UI including the taskbar is black.

Failed Solutions Tried:
1.) Uninstalled the Graphics Driver. Trying all the drivers from (OEM) Asus Support Page.
2.) Tried almost all the Drivers on Intel from 2019, 2020, Mid 2020 and 2021 that failed.
3.) Let Windows Install the drivers, obviously unistalled the drivers first.
4.) Disabled Hardware Acceleration on the programs that offer to disable it (Reverted due to poor performance)

I am using an Asus Ex-H310M V3 R2.0 on an Intel I5-9400, with no any graphics controller other than Intel UHD Graphics 630 and with 8GB of DDR4-2666 RAM.

Driver Version: As mentioned I switched a lot of versions, but now the latest from the Intel DCH Page.

For additional Info I experienced a BSOD for the first time using the computer with the stop code of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. But the Bsod never happened again.

Is the BSOD possibly related to my current issues as the issue happened first (Flickering Black Items instead of the UI only video paused left.)?

Intrestingly, I record in Zoom what happens if I experienced the problem but Zoom recorded no black UI with video only left. I think the issue is weird.

Any can help me fix this super annoying issue?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
adriem912
New Contributor I
I was able to fix the issue by forgetting the Intel UHD Graphics uninstalled its graphics drivers and installed a new graphics card.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
sshah254
Beginner

I have a similar issue on the Intel 630 (am using an Aaeon motherboard).

Everything will be working fine for, let's say 10 mins, and then something triggers and the screen will blank for a second or two and then be back to normal.  It might repeat this for a few times before stabilizing.  Only to get unstable again after another @10 mins.  Sometimes it works fine for a few days with no "flicker".

We use a few motherboards (medical instruments co.), but it does not happen on all the motherboards, only some of them.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @adriem912 

1. If you are using DP Video Port, try now the HDMI.

2. Try an other video cable.

3. Try different (decrease) Display Refresh Rate (Settings: System > Display > Advanced Display)

Leon

0 Kudos
sshah254
Beginner

Hi Leon,

We use the LVDS display.

But it happens on the HDMI port too.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sshah254
Beginner

Hi,

Is there a windows event that we can look for when this screen blank event happens?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I

@LeonWaksman It only has the VGA port (the motherboard) so I can't try what you are saying. The monitor has 60hz refresh rate (BENQ GW2270H) so I can't change it. But as a surprise when I try to decrease the video resolution the issue was not appearing again. But the only problem with that is that my screen is smaller. So obviously I reverted it. Also When the Issue happens the GPU usage go or near 100% utilization. Is there any possibility that Intel UHD Graphics 630 is not capable of what I am doing right now (Zoom, Google Meet, Jitsi Meet, Microsoft Miracast - Connect app, Google Chrome, Ms Edge, Firefox and Waterfox. Also I have a video editing software but rarely used. Seems like it having trouble handling HD Videos on both Youtube and Video Communications Platform. I know that my specific Graphics Controller Intel UHD Graphics 630 can handle 4K but my monitor is 1080P.

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
New Update: Changing the Monitor or Changing the video cable does not affect anything. The issue is still happening.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @adriem912 

1. Since you are using the analog video input, the native resolution for you display will be 1920 x 1080 @60Hz . There are other settings available as described in this document.

2. Please check in Windows setting that the resolution is set to native resolution when you are using the Auto adjustment function in the display. Please refer to page 28 in the User Manual

Leon

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
@LeonWaksman the monitor and Windows setting was set to 1080P and 60hz. Also the monitor does not suggest any resolution change as I am using the native one. Hopefully a real Intel Support Techinican can help me. Thank You.

I think that the issue is related of either of this two the Intel UHD Graphics 630 or all Windows 10 versions 1909 to Windows 11 21H2. Since Windows 10 the problem is existing and the no. 1 reason I move to Windows 11 is the hope to avoid that problem from occuring again, but the issue is still appearing on Windows 11. Can anyone say if Windows 10 or 11 has the issue what I am talking about or It is related to the Intel UHD Graphics 630? or just the Intel UHD Graphics 630 is just uncapable of what I am doing right now?
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @adriem912 ,
I suggest that in order to get better information about your system and to get help from real Intel Support Technician, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan (check "Everything") and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.

Leon

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
Alberto_R_Intel

adriem912, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will do further research on this matter, but first, we just wanted to confirm, you mentioned, " I experienced a BSOD for the first time using the computer with the stop code of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. ", even though the BSOD is not happening again, by any chance do you know or did you write down the error code that normally is showing when you get the BSOD? We just wanted to check if maybe you have that error code, since pretty much at this point you have tried all the possible troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this scenario.

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
I think the BSOD is not related to Intel UHD Graphics. According to a Computer Techinician it was cause by a Failing RAM and the RAM. I will need your help once again the PC is functional. I mean on my first issue getting black and flickering.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello adriem912, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
@Alberto_R_Intel I still need it I just damaged my computer. Was the computer is functional again, I will need again your help.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

adriem912, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Did you build it?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

According to the SSU report, the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer, as you mentioned, is 30.0.101.1191, which is a driver provided by Intel®.

Just to let you know, the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific device. For that reason, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. 

I looked in ASUS's website and the first thing I noticed is that Windows* 11 is not listed as a validated Operating System for your motherboard. ASUS only has drivers for Windows* 10.

Even though you mentioned that you already tested the drivers provided by the OEM, for testing purposes, we can try a clean installation of the latest graphics driver provided by them which is version 26.20.100.6952 following the instructions in the links below. Once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Expedition/EX-H310M-V3-R2-0/HelpDesk_Download/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Additionally, we recommend to get in contact directly with ASUS support to verify with them that the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your computer or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
sshah254
Beginner

Hi @Alberto_R_Intel 

Is this a new computer - yes.  We have @20 of these instruments.  I work for a medical instruments company.

When did we purchase it - we buy them as needed, but for the most part, all of them have been bought, let's say in the last 6 months or so.

Did we build it - yes.

Was it working fine before - can't say, since it keeps on flickering at random times, but we have seen this on many of these instruments.

When did the issue start - its been an ongoing thing.  I have been dealing with it for @3 months, but my boss says that they have noticed this for @6 months.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem? - we have made changes, yes, but that has not made any changes to this problem.

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment? - it is work (lab) environment.

FWIW - the motherboard manufacturer is Aaeon (not ASUS).  Most of our systems have drivers provided by Aaeon, just to see if it is a driver issue, we have installed the intel driver on some of the instruments.

Any help that you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
I was able to fix the issue by forgetting the Intel UHD Graphics uninstalled its graphics drivers and installed a new graphics card.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

adriem912, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

"I was able to fix the issue by forgetting the Intel UHD Graphics uninstalled its graphics drivers and installed a new graphics card.", Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to fix the problem by installing a new graphics card and now the PC is working properly.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

sshah254, Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
yahbot49
Beginner

I am experiencing a similar issue on a Lenovo M80q and all it has is the UHD 630 display.  The screen randomly blacks out for several secconds then the display resumes.  I've experienced this issue since I inadverently updated Windows 10 to 21H2.  Not my choice, thanks microsoft.  Anyway I've pursued multiple avenues, updated driver, changing cables, etc..  Attached is the output from the SSU utility.  Any help on the matter would be appreciated.  Thx.

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I

For me, I solve it by adding a GPU (even a low-end one).

Just to see or test if the Intel UHD is the problem, disable Intel UHD Graphics 630 on the Windows Device Manager and restart your system or a better way just boot into safe mode and try if the issue will still persists.

Note: The test will cause laggy experience and bad graphics performance.

If you have a GPU on hand (even a low-end one) try putting it. If the issue will not happen again that means that the problem is coming from the Intel UHD Graphics 630 Drivers or Hardware itself.

0 Kudos