Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel UHD graphic 620 - Black screen one time out of two

Mkhelifi
Beginner

Hello Intel's community,

I currently have an issue that started two months ago, I tried everyting I can but today you are the last that can help before I just put my computer to the garbage ....

Problem: 

My screen is one time out of two black when I wake up, restart, or start my computer. In order to fix the problem I tried to:

• updated drivers
  • reset with manufacturing recommendation my computer
  • changed my battery

The keyboard is lighting up, and I hear the ventilation, so I deduced that this is a graphic displaying problem.

Enclosed, you can find the various report required.

If you can help me on the issue and live not far from France, I will one day offer you a beer 😃

Have a great saturday ! 

Mehdi,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Mkhelifi

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Checking the Intel® System Support Utility report, we noticed that you have tried the Intel® generic drivers 27.20.100.9466 and 30.0.100.9684. However, we are not sure if you have tested with the latest customized driver provided by ASUS*.

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM). OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. In this case, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver using the OEM driver from ASUS* to discard driver-related issues. Please follow these steps:

Step 1 - Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 
  • Click the search and type "Windows updates" and click on that option.
  • Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Step 2 - Clean install of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest ASUS* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: ASUS* Intel® Graphics Driver Version V26.20.100.7325*.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the Display adapters section and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® UHD Graphics 620).

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® UHD Graphics 620 or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded ASUS* file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the behavior persists, please provide a new Intel® SSU report and the following details:

1- When this issue happens, is the BIOS, POST screen, or Welcome screen visible/displayed?

2- Could you please test if the issue happens on an external display using a straight-through connection with a single cable, for instance, HDMI-to-HDMI (not using video/cable adapters, converters, docking, or HUBs).

3- We understand this issue started two months ago. Did it work fine before or is this a new computer? If this worked fine before, what changes did occur at that moment? Was there any Windows* or driver update? Or was any hardware/software change? Please provide details.

4- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mkhelifi
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel,

Thanks for your very clear answer. 

Despite the execution of your procedure described above, I had still a black screen problem, plus in the meantime, another problem appeared (my new battery was no more detected by my laptop as well as the old one). I decided to used a complete reset of my computer (I did this three times in a row to be sure) and put back my old battery. 

Thereafter, no more problem, I didn't really understand what happened but I think that an update of something else than my graphic card caused multiple problems. 

By the way, my new battery is not detected, I will deal this with the manufacturer and hoping that the next one will work.

Thank you for your help,

Mehdi K.

Ps: I will finish my story after receiving the new battery, in order to provide some resources if someone else has the same problem.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Mkhelifi

Thank you for your response and for the feedback. We understand that the black screen problem is no longer present after performing a complete reset of the system. We are glad to know that you managed to solve this problem. We also agree that the best thing to do is to continue working with the computer manufacturer (OEM) in regards to the issue with the battery.

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Mkhelifi

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos