Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel graphics driver update comes with a warning

Newbee
Beginner

"Installing this graphics driver from Intel may remove customizations from your computer manufacturer (OEM)."

I hope I understood your provided explanation correctly, that my processor "i5-8250U CPU @" is 8th generation, i.e. this Intel generic driver installation is kept separate from the detected OEM customization installation, so no mess is to be expected with my SW system 😐

... and the same rule is true for all other Intel driver updates.

Could you give me a short confirmation ?
Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, it is simple: If you install a generic driver package from Intel, you lose any customizations installed by an OEM driver package.

If you need bug fixes that Intel is releasing but have a customized package from your OEM that is supporting special features, then you need to talk to your OEM and get them to release an updated package.

...S

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Newby, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

"Could you give me a short confirmation?" Sure, the thing is that there are 2 types of drivers for your platform. There is one driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, which is the OEM driver, that is actually the one we recommend to install because that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. This is for all of the features and functions of the computer that have been advertised by them to work properly with no problems.

And then, there is the Intel® Generic Graphics driver, which version could be different from the one provided by the OEM, when installing this driver since it is generic, some of the features and functions of the computer might not work properly or will not work at all.
In this case, the Intel® Core™ i5-8250U works with Intel® UHD Graphics 620, so if you go to our website and enter that graphics controller, you will get all the drivers provided by Intel® that are not customized for your system but that you can still install:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126789/Intel-UHD-Graphics-620

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Newbee
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

thanks for your reply.
With what I struggle a little bit  was Intel‘s Statement:

Why should I proceed with the installation?
On your 6th Generation Intel® Processor platform or higher, your computer manufacturer customization
remain intact with each upgrade and the OEMs can maintain customizations separately via Microsoft Windows Update.

Does this mean that it is safer to stay with  my OEM provided driver, and the OEM could offer updates for this Driver
(if necessary) via the official Microsoft Update procedure ?

Regards
Roland

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, it is simple: If you install a generic driver package from Intel, you lose any customizations installed by an OEM driver package.

If you need bug fixes that Intel is releasing but have a customized package from your OEM that is supporting special features, then you need to talk to your OEM and get them to release an updated package.

...S

Newbee
Beginner

Thanks for keeping it simple, so there is no more room for misunderstanding 🙂

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't realize how ironic this statement actually is...

(Al, no comments from the peanut gallery)

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No comment from me<G>

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

Newbee
Beginner

Thanks for participating in some internal peanut gallery conversation 🙂
... and another Kudo for your keen sense of irony 😉

0 Kudos
newmarket2
Beginner

OK, I think I don't need to install the Intel graphics driver.  If the driver needs updating, it should come from Dell, my laptop maker.

BUT, I continue to get a notice that I have a driver update from Intel.  I can't figure out how to make this notice go away.  It pops up sometimes several times a day.  I should be able to suppress it but how????

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Easily suppresed.  But, why do you have IDSA installed when you should be using Dell's update tool?

Also, next time, start a new thread.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos