Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel hd graphics 4600 black screen/freeze after windows clean install

TJose9
Beginner

I have an asus laptop x550jx, i5 4200h cpu, gtx 950m.The problem is that when the intel graphics driver is installing it displays a black screen with no hdd activity , basically it freezes. I tried all the drivers from asus or intel but none worked .Also tried all versions of windows 10 from 1607 to 1909, all have a problem with the graphic driver. Windows 1709 and 1803 install the driver with no black screen but after 10-15 seconds windows freezes. All the other windows versions just black screen during the installation. I wasted a lot of time trying to fix this, it's time to do something since I'm not the only one experiencing this problems. I can't use my gtx 950m gpu without the intel graphics driver and it's so frustrating. It's also not a hardware problem since on windows 1709 and 1803 the driver installs but freezes afterwards, and also there are many users who have the same problem.The laptop display works fine. Also restarting gives the same black screen, I mean it's not a rare occasion when this black screen/freeze happens.Only way to make it work is to disable the intel gpu or to have the Microsoft basic display adapter driver installed which means I have no brightness control and I can't use my NVidia gpu. Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

TJose9, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello TJose9, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

I still have the black screen issue during driver installation. I looked over the installation logs and it black screens after RS1 or greater detected. Executing DiInstallDriver.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello TJose9, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates, we are sorry to hear the issue persists.

At this point, considering that after testing the laptop with different Intel® Generic Graphics drivers with all the different driver versions available in the Intel® web site the problem remains and based on the fact that when using the Microsoft* Basic Graphics Driver there is no issue, it indicates that this scenario could be related to a compatibility situation between the Operating System currently installed and the laptop, it seems they are not compatible.

I looked in ASUS's web site and it says that the laptop is fully compatible with Windows* 8.1:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/X550JX/specifications/

Just to let you know, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Even though on ASUS's web site there is an Intel® Generic Graphics driver available for Windows* 10, version V10.18.15.4268, if the problem persists after installing that driver, then the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with ASUS to report this scenario and also to verify a confirm if there is another driver version that they can provide that will be fully compatible with all the Windows* 10 builds to try to fix this issue, they should be able to further assist you with this matter:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello TJose9, I just wanted to check if the problem persists after installing Intel® Generic Graphics driver version V10.18.15.4268 provided by ASUS and if you were able to get in contact directly with them to report this scenario?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello TJose9, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos