Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel hd630 crashing windows 10

Sortirus
Beginner

Hello,
I have a problem with my graphic card, which causes crashes. My MSI PL62 notebook specs:
Product Name: PL62 7RC
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit Ver.2009(OS build 19042.928)
Windows Product Key: 8HVX7
HDI Build: non-OEM
BIOS Version: E16JDIMS.110
BIOS Release Date: 2018/09/05
EC Version: N/A
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 16 GB @ 1200 MHz
- 8192 MB, DDR4-2133, 075D GR2133S464L15/8G
- 8192 MB, DDR4-2400, Kingston MSI24D4S7S8MB-8
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150, 2048 MB
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
VBIOS Version: 86.08.14.00.02,2097152
Drive: SSD, Micron_1100_MTFDDAV256TBN, 238.47 GB
Drive: HDD, WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0, 465.76 GB
Network: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Network: Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Network: TAP-Windows Adapter V9
SHIFT mode: None
Power Plan: Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)

My notebook keeps crashing while using internet, watching movies etc. Windows never crashed while playing, when Nvidia graphic card is taking the lead. It is crashing about 2 times per hour, I was succeed to reduce crashes to 1 per 1-10 hour, when I set in Nvidia control panel preferred card to nvidia, but I want clean solution to problem, not workaround.

I tried:
 - formatting,
 - installing latest drivers,
 - uninstalling drivers and rebooting notebook (windows installed latest drivers),
 - uninstalling in safe mode drivers with DDU, rebooting and installing intel drivers from MSI support page.

Nothing worked. I tried contacting with MSI support, but they only point out, that it could be problem with different RAMs, but after that change in Nvidia Control Panel I know, it is something with Intel graphic card. My problem occurred years ago, after purchasing notebook, but I couldn't return it because of my work. Then I used that workaround and everything was fine (fine = 3-5 crashes per week) till now.

I attach 2 pictures with 2 different crashes and 1 with weird glitch, that often precedes crashes. Crashes in 4/5 cases are with disturbing noise.

I read similar post, but nothing helped me from that:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/intel-hd-graphics-630-crashing-windows-10/td-p/616306

I hope I can find answer here to my problems. Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Sortirus, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

You mentioned you purchase the computer about 2 years ago, do you remember when?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sortirus
Beginner

Hello Albert, thanks for your reply.

I purchased my notebook about 3,5 years ago. It wasn't working fine. It has been crashing since the beginning, but like I said, I found workaround with few formats and changing in Nvidia Control Panel settings to prefer Nvidia card. Thanks to that I am pretty sure, that it's intel graphic card problem. It was still crashing, but only 2-5 times a week, so I could live with that.

Crashing came back few weeks ago, I don't know why, maybe because of updating card drivers (I am using Intel Driver Support Assistant).

I formatted my notebook, but it didn't help.
Then I uninstalled intel drivers in DDU and clean installed drivers from MSI page, it didn't help.

I am attaching SSU report.

Crashing occurs mainly when I browse internet and especially when I watch movies in browser. Sometimes it occurs, when I am working in other apps, but browser is always open. It never crashed when I was playing some games, when nvidia card taken control.

Today I also uninstalled nvidia drivers in DDU and clean installed drivers from MSI page, maybe it's crashing because of nvidia optimus and old intel card driver, new nvidia card driver, but I don't know. Could that be a factor of crashing?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. Based on the information showing in the SSU, we can confirm that the graphics driver currently installed, is actually the one provided by MSI 23.20.16.4849. 

What we can try next will be a clean installation of the Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9466 following the instructions on the link below, once you get the chance, please let us know if Windows* is still crashing with that driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

As you mentioned, the fact that the computer is working with hybrid graphics, Intel® and Nvidia, could be the reason why this issue is happening, so we suggest to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer for them to confirm that information and for further assistance on this matter:

https://www.msi.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Sortirus, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Sortirus, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos