Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel i7-10700k crashes while running MATLAB

AjayM
Beginner
I recently bought a new desktop with following configuration
Processor I7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H
CPU fan- cooler master Hyper H410R RGB
Ram 16GB
Memory 512 SSD
Graphics- integrated graphics
OS- dual boot LINUX, WIN10.

The desktop was working fine till I was carrying out simple tasks e.g. document, LaTex, etc. For Python (installed using anaconda) it worked. As soon as I started using MATLAB, my desktop crashed and restarted without any warning. It does same each time I run script in MATLAB.

To further diagnose the matter I used Intel extreme tuning utility.
The first stress test for processor was passed (but shows thermally throttled).
However during the second test for AVX, AVX2, the system again crashed.
And crashes each time I run these tests.

What should I do in this case?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For starters, I would download and run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. If it succeeds, you are likely looking at a driver issue - but let's not worry about that possibility after you run the tool.

...S

0 Kudos
AjayM
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

I used the IPDT tool first before using the Intel extreme tuning utility (XTU). 

The tool starts running tests immediately after launching and after some test (i guess when rendering some graphics) it crashes. I could not explore the tool much as it starts automatically on lunching and crashed.  It was not clear whether it crashed during or after that graphic rendering test. Further, I could not find any log for the test since it crashed while running the test.  The IPDT tool stops working after crashing the first time. Due to these reasons, I used XTU.

I also updated the BIOS, as pointed out in some blogs, but is of no help. The problem still persists.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello AjayM

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

Does this same thing happen with a single Windows 10 boot? Please try the following:

• Clean install (single boot) of Windows 10* to confirm if the processor issue persists:
    • Does it happen on Safe Mode?
    • Can you run the Intel® PDT on safe mode?

Share with us the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results:

• Download the Intel SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows
  • Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
AjayM
Beginner
Thanks David for reply.
I got my desktop checked to GIGABYTE motherboard service center. The issue came out to be incompatible RAM of higher frequency. They also suggested me to buy larger power SMPS. With these changes now it runs fine.
Thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We are glad to know you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos