Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel i7-8770/Intel Graphics 630. After installing the new DCH driver the Intel Graphics Control Panel no longer opens and Quicksync fails to initialize.

JRapp2
New Contributor I

Using an AMD RX 560 as the main display graphics (4K@60Hz monitor) and Intel Graphics 630 for encoding/video editing. This worked fine up until the new DCH driver was installed. Windows 10 Pro (latest with all updates for 1803) lists the Intel 630 graphics adapter as being installed and working properly but the graphics control panel does not display and QuickSync (QSV) does not work with Handbrake, Vegas Pro 15 or PowerDirector 16. The choices to use it are there for all software but it is unable to be used. Again worked fine before DCH driver updates!

I've tried both the DCH 6444 and the 6448 drivers - Quicksync does not work!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce_Intel

I understand the frustration when apps stop working after an update to other software. I feel your pain first hand; I used a piece of software daily that no longer even launches with the Windows 10 April 2018 update and later releases. And that app was abandoned by it's developers so there's no chance of me getting an update to make it work ever again. 😪

On one system I found two different apps to use in its place, which I'll note are still NOWHERE near the functionality of the other but it fills the gap, and on my other system I actually rolled back to the previous OS update where the app still works and I just won't be able to update my OS on that system again.

Unfortunately in this instance Intel was required to make changes to our code base to conform with the Microsoft DCH standards, this was out of our control. Due to this conformity it just wasn't feasible to ensure backwards compatibility with all apps but what we did do was ensure there was an SDK available so developers could update their apps to work with Microsoft's new code standards we changed in our drivers.

It's unfortunate that all our favorite software and hardware can't always work forever but that's the process of technology moving forward. You do have a workaround in this case though! If you would like to roll back to a Legacy driver and wait for your other software to make their updates, let me know and we can walk you through that process.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

50 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Have you verify is there are windows update available for your system? • Have you tried opening the Intel® HD graphics control panel with the key combination Ctrl+Alt+F12? Reference link for Open the Control Panel for Intel® Graphics (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005596/graphics-drivers.html). • Bear in mind that the Intel® HD graphics control has to be downloaded form the Microsoft store while using the Windows* DCH Drivers for Intel® Graphics please refer to the following link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031275/graphics-drivers.html. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

As I said in the original post I have the latest Windows 10 Pro updates that have been pushed out by MS for 1803. 1809 has not been pushed out to everyone yet.

The control panel was installed automatically with the driver package for 6444 and 6448.

I uninstalled and pulled it directly from the MS store and it has the exact same behavior. It shows as being installed in start but when clicked on nothing happens - it does not open.

In addition I tried the key combo (although it should be no different from clicking on the app in start) and the panel does not open!

Quicksync does not work in the DCH drivers with multiple graphics cards installed where it did with previous versions. I have not tested if the Intel Graphics 630 is the only GPU on the system. I do not have that setup as I need another GPU to support 4K@60 as the intel GPU only supports 4K@30.

I'm am not the only one seeing these bugs. There are other posts on the intel forums from developers that list the exact initialization call for Quicksync that fails that did not fail with the previous non-DCH drivers. The new driers have bugs, please fix them.

Other bug references:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/800921

0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

Just updated to Windows 1809 and both Intel Graphics driver bugs are still present: graphics control panel won't open and QuickSync fails

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for the information. Try to complete a clean installation of the graphics driver o your system: First, you will have download the Intel® HD graphics 630 driver version on the following link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28404/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers, once the driver is downloaded please make sure that the unit is not connected to internet during the uninstall/install driver to avoid any automatic update, and follow these steps to uninstall the graphics drivers: 1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc 2. Expand the Display Adapters section. 3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver). 4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall. 5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device. 6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished. Complete these steps until you get to the Microsoft® basic display adapter, once the reboot is completed install the Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers and the Intel® HD graphics control panel on the system. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

I did the clean install with the exact same result. The graphics control panel will not open and quicksync is not working!

Again this is on a PC using (or trying to use) the Intel Graphics 630 as a second GPU for video editing and encoding, not for the main display.

Windows 10 Pro 1809 with all current updates (as of 9:00 am Eastern on12-14-18) shows the Intel GPU as active and working property in Device Manager.

You can check the link in my previous reply to another bug report on the Intel Forums of the same problem and it gives the exact initialization call that fails!

This all worked fine before installing the 6444 DCH driver and continues to be a problem with the 6448 driver.

Please report this bug so the developers fix it in the next driver release!

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for the information We have test the Intel® HD graphics with the driver 6444 on our end while using Windows® 10 1803 and 1809 without facing problems to open the Intel® HD graphics control panel, for testing could you test running the system while using only the Intel® HD Graphics controller to confirm if the operating system is not allowing to access the Intel® HD graphics control panel due to of the dual graphics setting on the system. have you tried to uninstall and install the Intel® HG graphics control panel? Please provide me with your hardware configuration: Motherboard model: RAM: Video cable: Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

Yes, I'm sure you have tested it and it works when using 1 GPU, the intel one. As I mentioned several times in this thread, the problem is with the DCH driver when using 2 GPUs. I'm using an AMD RX 560 as my main display GPU and the Intel 630 for video editing and encoding.

The problem is with using the DCH driver with 2 GPUs and the Intel 630 not the main display GPU It is not a windows problems as it worked fine with windows 1803 until the Intel DCH 6444 drive was installed - then it fails. No other changes were made, just installing the DCH driver.

0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

And here is the config details but the only issue is 2 GPUs!

Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.194) but also failed on Windows 10 Pro 1803

Motherboard: MSI Z370 SLI Plus, Bios - AMI A.20

Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) GEIL DDR4-3000 running at 1066Mhz

AMD RX 560 GPU using a High Speed HDMI cable to a Samsung 40" 4k monitor with the latest AMD driver - 11/30/2018 - 25.20.14011.10001

Intel Graphics 630 GPU with no cable - only being used for video encoding!!!! Using latest Intel DCH driver - 11/30/2018 - 25.20.100.6448

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

with starting DCH drivers , intel removed intel graphics control panel application , instead you can download control panel from microsoft store at free of cost

for more information visit this page

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031275/graphics-drivers.html

0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

If you read the thread you would have seen that I already did download from the MS store and it will not open.

It is installed - from the MS Store - and does not open if the Intel GPU is a second GPU on the system and not the main display GPU!

RAJU2529
New Contributor III

thanks for your feedback , I also tried last week , today reinstall control panel , still does not work , I am going esculate

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for the information that you have shared in order to investigate more this behavior please provide me with the following report. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Steps to save the report: 1. Run the utility. 2. Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3. Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4. Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

Here's the scan results. FYI: the attach option is on the bottom left of the response box...

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report allow me to investigate mode behavior that you are facing, I will be posting back when news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for waiting. Please provide me with detail steps taken before this issue happened and the steps taken besides the ones provided on the thread, this will help to investigate the behavior. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

There are no other steps!!!! Why not read the thread!

Everything was working with Windows 1803 and the non-DCH Intel Graphics 630 drivers (several from the last year all worked!)

I installed the new 6444 DCH driver (no other changes!!!!) and Quicksync no longer works. I've tried it in Handbrake, Vegas Pro and Powerdirector 16 - none can use it anymore even though they list it as available.

Windows reports the Intel 630 display adapter is installed and working correctly (Device Manager).

In addition the Graphic Control Panel (downloaded and installed from MS store) is listed as installed but will not open - click on it and nothing happens!

After the failure I have tried updating to Windows 1809 and tried the newest DCH driver 6448 and it still does not work!

AGAIN, my system has 2 GPU installed and the Intel 630 is not used as the primary display GPU, I only use it for video editing and encoding

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for the details, allow me to research the case, I will be posting back when news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

UPDATE - Still broken in new 6471 driver!

I noticed the new driver and installed it. It's still broken. Quicksync does not work and Control panel does not open!!!!

My system has 2 GPUs, an AMD RX 560 and the Intel 630 on the i7-8700. The RX is used for the main display and the Intel is used only for Quicksync for video editing and encoding!

Bottom line - STILL BROKEN in version 6471!

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for sharing the outcome of the testing, this information will help us with the investigation of the case, I will be posting back as soon as news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

One more issue...

Many videos (most Facebook videos and others) only display a green screen when playing if hardware acceleration is enabled in Chrome settings when using the DCH drivers.

If I disable hardware acceleration in Chrome settings the videos play - most likely related to the same quicksync bug described above.

0 Kudos