Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel i7-8770/Intel Graphics 630. After installing the new DCH driver the Intel Graphics Control Panel no longer opens and Quicksync fails to initialize.

JRapp2
New Contributor I

Using an AMD RX 560 as the main display graphics (4K@60Hz monitor) and Intel Graphics 630 for encoding/video editing. This worked fine up until the new DCH driver was installed. Windows 10 Pro (latest with all updates for 1803) lists the Intel 630 graphics adapter as being installed and working properly but the graphics control panel does not display and QuickSync (QSV) does not work with Handbrake, Vegas Pro 15 or PowerDirector 16. The choices to use it are there for all software but it is unable to be used. Again worked fine before DCH driver updates!

I've tried both the DCH 6444 and the 6448 drivers - Quicksync does not work!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce_Intel

I understand the frustration when apps stop working after an update to other software. I feel your pain first hand; I used a piece of software daily that no longer even launches with the Windows 10 April 2018 update and later releases. And that app was abandoned by it's developers so there's no chance of me getting an update to make it work ever again. 😪

On one system I found two different apps to use in its place, which I'll note are still NOWHERE near the functionality of the other but it fills the gap, and on my other system I actually rolled back to the previous OS update where the app still works and I just won't be able to update my OS on that system again.

Unfortunately in this instance Intel was required to make changes to our code base to conform with the Microsoft DCH standards, this was out of our control. Due to this conformity it just wasn't feasible to ensure backwards compatibility with all apps but what we did do was ensure there was an SDK available so developers could update their apps to work with Microsoft's new code standards we changed in our drivers.

It's unfortunate that all our favorite software and hardware can't always work forever but that's the process of technology moving forward. You do have a workaround in this case though! If you would like to roll back to a Legacy driver and wait for your other software to make their updates, let me know and we can walk you through that process.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

50 Replies
JRapp2
New Contributor I

FYI: I uninstalled the DCH driver and installed the last pre-DCH driver (6373) and everything works again!

Bottom line is that DCH drivers break QuickSync and prevent the graphic control panel from opening on machines where the Intel GPU is used for video encoding and editing but not for a display!

0 Kudos
BD8
Beginner

JRapp2,

I was going nuts for hours trying to figure out why installing a new system with the latest Windows 1809 and all the latest drivers; I couldn't get Quicksync to work. Thank you SOOO MUCH man for figuring this out -- ON YOUR OWN! I read this entire thread and it annoys me the lack of knowledge of the support here. You should run this place!

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for the information/update on the behavior, this information is really would be really helpful for the investigation about this behavior, I am going to provide this update for the investigation. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for waiting. • Allow me to share with you that you that I have been testing Windows® 10 1809 with Intel HD graphics 620 with the driver version DCH 25.20.100.6444 and downloading the Intel® HD graphics control panel from Microsoft® store and there have not been problems to open it during the testing. • In reference to the problems that you are having with QuickSinc have you tried the steps to Check if Intel® Quick Sync Video Feature is Enabled or not in Intel Processors? o Reference link: o https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029338/processors.html. • Are you using any software, tool or testing to confirm that the feature is not working properly? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NDeut
Beginner

Is it so hard to understand that problem is related to dGPU and iGPU being activated?

Since 4 drivers it still doesn't work.

How about improving the quality assurance, the competition seems to get it better.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello everybody In order to continue looking into the case please provide me with the following information: • Have you tried the steps to Check if Intel® Quick Sync Video Feature is Enabled or not in Intel Processors? o Reference link: o https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029338/processors.html. • Are you using any software, tool or testing to confirm that the feature is not working properly? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello everybody I was checking your case and would like to know if you have test the link provided and if you can provide me the detail information about the tools and apps use to confirm that quicksync is not working? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

OMG - Read the thread!!!!

Yes, quicksync is enabled!!!! It works with all the pre DCH drivers including the last one (6373)

No other changes but install a DCH driver (6444, or 6448 or 6471) and software still sees it as active (the choices to use it are active so the software sees the GPU as available) but if you select to use quicksync for encodes it fails somewhere in the initialization and the software defaults to software encode without using the gpu.

Reinstall the pre-DCH driver (6373) and it works again.

Quicksync works with Handbrake, Vegas Pro 15 and Powerdirector 16 with all pre-DCH driver ( including 6373)

Does not work in HANDBRAKE, VEGAS PRO 15 and POWERDIRECTOR 16 with any of the DCH drivers!

AGAIN!!!! This is a bug when using the Intel 630 GPU as a SECOND GPU for video editing and encoding and any other GPU as the first GPU that runs the display.

Read the post and get the bug fixed!!!

Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for the details on the behavior let me investigate the case. I will be posting back when news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

Any progress on this issue?????

I have tried each new DCH driver as it is released and Quicksync (QSV) does not work in any of them for the Intel 630 if it is not the primary display GPU. I've tried 6519 and today tried 6577. QSV does not work. I'm using an AMD RX 560 as the #1 GPU for the display, the Intel 630 is GPU#2 and is not used for the display, just for video editing and encoding.

Again, if I reinstall the last pre-DCH driver (6373) it works great but if I install any DCH driver QSV does not work in Vegas Pro, Handbrake, PowerDriector 16 or any other video encoding software.

It's not hard to reproduce, just try encoding anything using QSV with any video editing/encoding software. If the Intel 630 GPU is not the primary GPU, quicksync initialization fails and QSV cannot be used to encode!!!!

Yes, the Intel 630 is active and shows up in Device Manager as installed and working properly, it just doesn't work.

AVall7
Beginner

Hello,

I would be interested by the result of your investigations on this matter LeoC_Intel.

I"m running into the exact same issue than JRapp2 but with an Intel 8350K which cannot start QSV encoding with any DCH drivers.

My settings are:

Proc: i8350k with HD630 enabled in the BIOS

Graphic card: Nvidia 970GTX set as Primary in the BIOS

Attached a screenshot of the System properties and the HD630 drivers tab window.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello JRapp2 Thank you for waiting. We have been unable to replicate this issue. Video of new lab posted here: https://youtu.be/D-VT8b7W1h0 , it seems that a solution has already been deployed yet it appears to be more on the App developer side. Since the issue cannot be reproduced, our suggestion would be to either report this directly to the OEM so they can reproduce it with the same equipment and do further debugging or perhaps if possible can you do a clean operating system (OS) installation to rule out any possible issue generated from the OS or driver Update process. In addition a similar issue was reported here: https://software.intel.com/pt-br/node/800921 Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

NO, NO, NO - it is not fixed and it is not an app issue!

Quicksync works correctly in all apps with pre-DCH drivers but does not work at all in any app with any version of the DCH driver.

Yes, as shown in your video Handbrake does do the encode but since QSV fails on initialization it defaults to doing the encode using software only and takes much longer than it should.

Pop up a task manager window, pick the performance tab and you will see the Intel GPU is not being used (0% usage).

If Handbrake is using QSV for an encode I generally see usage on the Intel GPU at 50-70%, not 0%

If the Intel GPU is the #1 GPU running the display it works, if it is the second GPU used only for video editing and encoding if does not!

0 Kudos
BD8
Beginner

LOL. It doesn't look like the setup proves anything. We need to see the the GTX 970 as the primary card hooked up to the primary display, and the intel 530 to be used as secondary/standby. We also need to see the task manager utilization for graphics during hanbrake action. Remember, the primary graphics CAN NOT be the intel igpu. Otherwise point not proven. Probably will not work if a laptop is being used.

0 Kudos
BD8
Beginner

@JRapp2, i actually gave up on leveraging quicksync to decode my videos/movies in my HTPC. Got an RTX 2080 and haven't looked back.

0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

I do a lot of photo and 4K video work but no gaming. I needed a GPU to run my 4K monitor at 60Hz and the Intel will not over HDMI so I picked up the RX 560. It works well for my needs.

Your results may vary but, depending on effects used, my video encodes using QSV can be up to 3 times faster than software only encodes. With my hardware I find QSV encodes to be 10-20% faster then encodes using the RX 560.

But here is the big one for me. For timeline editing, Vegas Pro can and does take advantage of multiple GPUs! When it uses both the Intel 630 and the RX 560 I notice a nice improvement in speed of general editing tasks, for example zoom and pan in post and a big improvement in preview playback frame rate.

I can see this in action with the task manager performance tab. When editing in Pro with a pre-DCH driver I can see utilization percentages of both GPUs in the 10-25% range depending on what I am doing. Editing with any of the newer DCH drivers the Intel GPU utilization stays stuck at 0%

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @JRapp2​ 

Thank you for your patience while we continue investigating this issue. As you have pointed out I also have seen others reporting this same issue and I'm very interested in seeing this resolved.

I took the task of reproducing this issue here in our lab. I've tried to the best of my possibilities to match the conditions you have listed (AMD as primary Graphics controller and Intel as secondary i.e. no Displays connected to it) and doing encoding work with Handbrake v1.2.2. Here's a recording I made from my latest test: https://youtu.be/0yM4FikvtiQ Note: this was done on an Intel NUC8i7HVK (featuring Discrete graphics). I'm going to get a Desktop and test it again as well very soon.

Please take a look at the video and let me know if I'm missing something.

P.S. I apologize if this seems to be taking forever, but as you may know it is very important for us to be able to reproduce the issue first.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

Ronald, thank you for looking into this. I noticed that you were using Handbrake 1.2.2 (a new release). I have been using Handbrake 1.2.0. When I updated to Handbrake 1.2.2 and installed the 6577 DCH driver QSV started working in Handbrake.

I checked the Handbrake release notes and found the following: "- Improved QSV compatibility with newer Intel drivers by updating libmfx".

It still does not work in the apps that have not been rebuilt using newer Intel development kits!

I don't know what changed with the new DCH drivers that requires a rebuild of app software but it is not a workable solution!

The DCH driver changed something that causes Vegas Pro, PowerDirector and any other video encoding app built before the DCH version of the Quicksync API to fail!

Again all apps worked with all pre-DCH drivers and all fail with every DCH driver!!!!

You cannot change a driver and cause all apps produced before that driver existed to fail! You need to maintain compatibility with existing apps!

One of the other forum posts that referenced this issue was closed with the solution to use the newer QSV development kit. That is not a solution for existing apps!

Please fix the driver to work correctly with previous software - Examples are Handbrake 1.2.0, Powerdirector 16, Vegas Pro 15, etc...

RonaldM_Intel

I'm happy to help @JRapp2​ I'll check this with out dev team.

Can you provide me the steps I need to follow to replicate the issue with any of the affected applications?

I do know that the whole change to DCH drivers is as per Microsoft's requirement, hence if the code change from the DCH drivers is inherent to the new driver paradigm requested by Microsoft then - I would assume - there would be little to no possibility of going back, and it would be the affected applications that will have to be updated, but let's wait to get more information from our dev team.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
JRapp2
New Contributor I

Do exactly what you did in your video but use HandBrake 1.2.0.

You can get old releases from the main handbrake website - click download and under Archive pick "Old Releases" and then pick 1.2.0.

I've been in systems and software development for close to 40 years. You cannot break all existing apps when providing a new hardware driver!!!

0 Kudos
AVall7
Beginner

I have done some tests with Handbrake 1.2.2 too and QSV works for me with the latest DCH drivers.

However, I wanted to use the 8350K IGP to encode my stream with Streamlabs OBS but QSV was failing to start on DCH drivers.

I have rollback the HD630 drivers to 1006373 and now it works fine with Streamlabs OBS.

While I only have a secondary use of the HD630, I would appreciate to have newest drivers working with my apps like Streamlabs OBS or Shotcut (video editing tool).

Thanks

0 Kudos